Notices

HELP!!!!! calipers rubbing on rims!! very sad!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2005, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP!!!!! calipers rubbing on rims!! very sad!!

hi!! i need help so bad! solutions! anything.. i just had my rims installed yesturday.. i painted my calipers red.. well.. today! i went to my buddies shop..and coz they told me i needed a brake job.. coz my rotors are bad..and ofcorse pads.. so yeah.. after the brake job.. i went out and drive.. i noticed a very quiet clunking sound.. so i called the guy.. i told me "eyo dude! i hear some noise from my driver side wheel".. hes ow..dont worry bout it! might be ur sideskirts (coz i just got mine installed too) anyways so i just kept driving.. then i hit a lil pot hole.. then i hear it again.. this time louder.. but very tolerable.. so i stoped and checked my sideskirts.. damn!! i was rock solid! so i suspect my brakes.. i drove again.. now im on a very rough road!! damn!!!! it was rubbing like hell!!!!!!!! and it was soo loud.. my rims are 7 double spoked tenzo R's.. so i was like damn!! wtf is that??!??! i stoped at a parking lot.. and saw my calipers and rims all scratched up!! and the caliper paint was off!!! im like damn!!!! this sucks big time!! so i called my buddy that owns the shop..he went thier personally.. and checked it out!! he was like.. okie.. time to work! get ur jack.. i was so worried!! i just got my rims.. and my car was looking awesome!! (well atleast for me).. i know my rims fit..i mean its very close.. but it clears.. but know i think the calipers are a bit to outward thast why the highest point of it rubbed!! i mean.. what can i do to make this go away!! yesturday my newly installed rims are fine.. now its rubbing.. but he made the noise go away..but still i dont trust it..im scared! input on this would be greatly apriciated!! pls help me guys!?!? is there a way to udjust my calipers inward? to clear my rims?!?! thanks in advanced...im so sad!
Old Apr 1, 2005, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

buy some small spacers, that will kick your wheels out enough to clear
Old Apr 1, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

spacers? wer could i get those?? are they safe? wut are they exactly called? thanks for the info man! apriciate it! =)
Old Apr 1, 2005, 07:40 PM

are you rubbing the side of the caliper or the top? if its the top spacers wont help.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like it's rubbing on the side. When he hits a bump, the sliding part of the caliper moves a little bit and rubs. When the rims were installed, it sounds like his brake pads were worn down. They had to move the sliding part of the caliper out to fit new pads in when they did the brake job.

They're called spacers. You don't need very thick ones. Yes, they are safe, unless you get stupid thick ones. Try something like 3mm or so. Just enough to clear your calipers all the time.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

yea..on the sides.. i have 17" rims.. rubs on the sides.. the paint came off... where can i buy this spacers??!? autozone? sorry..im really new at thing stuff..im just worried right now.. i love my car.. i dont want to ruin it! thanks for the info guys!!
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xtianLANCER04
yea..on the sides.. i have 17" rims.. rubs on the sides.. the paint came off... where can i buy this spacers??!? autozone? sorry..im really new at thing stuff..im just worried right now.. i love my car.. i dont want to ruin it! thanks for the info guys!!
Let me know if its ES/ON/RALLIART OR AN EVO. I might be able to help you out to find the spacers that are right for ur ride.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

04 ES.. 4 lug.. with 17" tenzo R chu-4
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by xtianLANCER04
ok you were confusing me with your story, but if thats the problem spacers will help and you can get them from most autoparts stores, remember to only use what u need and dont go crazy. They look like big washers with holes around the center hole.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

does everyone that has after market rims use spacers? just wondrin.. are they expensive? aww man.. sorry bout my story.. just got homea nd im so wet from the rian..tryin to figure out wuts wrong.. its soo cold up here in chi-city..=(
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:09 PM

not everyone, just those whose offset doesnt clear the calipers, they are very safe though
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No, not everyone that has aftermarket rims needs spacers. If you order your rims with the correct offset, you won't. If you buy wheels at a low price because they aren't the right offset, then chances are you will.

They shouldn't be very expensive. A quick Google search showed a pair of 3mm spacers for $10.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

ow.. i was told that this rims would fit perfectly.. so i bought it.. lol.. i dint have that problem since the brake job!! and it sucks! anyways!! ill try to get spacers tomorow morning! thanks guys!! u were alot of help.. u actually relieved me.. thanks Myszkewicz!! and to all that help!! evom.net rocks! lol
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

use the spacer and you will be fine man....... and they are not expensive at all.... be sure to not to "offet them" too much so you wont look like a cheap low rider (mex stile and sorry if it offends you)....
Old Apr 1, 2005, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

hahha.. not at all man.. like 10"mexi rims? and bumpin tweeters??lol.hell naw.. its cool.. but.. yeah.. i just wana have peace of mind while riding my rims.. u know.. so yeah.. ill get spacers.. the thin ones.. its better than nothing u know.. so that why..it would be safer.. for me and my rims!! i hope they sell it locally thou..i dont like waiting for shipping.. and besides..its a daily driver.. and yeah..just to make my night worst.. a regualar RSX was revin at me like crazy..coz i was goin too slow..lol.. wut a F@g! ..lol

Quick Reply: HELP!!!!! calipers rubbing on rims!! very sad!!