Notices

Rotors overheating and warping - anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2009, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JMP-TX08X-GSR
I am having a similar problem with on evo x.. i warped the factory rotors in about a month after i bought the thing... the dealrship resurfaced them and about 2 weeks later they are warped again.
what kind of wheels? budget wheels can sometimes cause warping problems.

the OP sounds like he had a sticking caliper pistons since it was only one side.

the test for this is to let go of the steering and brake hard seeing if it pulls. and also check for drift with the brakes off after hard braking.

If both your fronts are warping that's probably something else although slim chance it might be sticking calipers.

if either one or both calipers are sticking one test is to raise the front wheels off the ground and check how easy the wheels turn. Preferably right after it's doing something funny like noise.

how hard do you brake? as already mentioned smoking down from over 100 mph and then sitting at a light with the foot on the brake will warp rotors. Besides pad material transfer, it doesn't allow them to cool evenly.

In some instances you can get a poor rotor cut that would warp early, especially if they are being cut off the car. That and being cut under minimum thickness which would be unusual with something this new.
Old May 4, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chances are your calipers are not fully retracting (and perhaps retracting unevenly). My best guess (only because it happened to me) is broken piston dust boots. For some odd reason, both of my fronts were broken and I ate up my pads down to the metal and warped my rotors before I realized it.

To check, look at the rubber piece on the calipers (on the side of the pads closest to the wheels.) See my old thread for reference.

If this is the case, solution is: rebuild calipers (very very cheap and not hard), replace rotors, replace pads if needed.