Notices

Wheel Spacers???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2005, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheel Spacers???

Are these just a bad idea? I read somewhere that you can put up to 1/4" thick slip-on wheel spacers without getting longer studs etc.

I'm obviously concerned about safety and ride quality... What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wheel...spagenameZWDVW
Old Aug 29, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey,

I've read up on spacers quite a bit because I wanted to put on some 5mm spacers for daily driving. Now here is the deal. These spacers you mention are generic and are meant to fit any 5 bolt application. the Hub centre is hug and will not centre your wheel during installation. This can cause unwanted vibrations (feels like an unbalanced tire) and there is a slight safety concern. The RA has a hub size of 67.1, when you purchase wheels they are supposed to provide HUB CENTRIC rings. These rings ensure that the wheel is properly centered and that the HUB is actually carrying the weight of the vehicle. When the hub size does not match, all the vehicles weight is on the studs. Studs are meant to hold the wheel from moving side to side, not from moving up and down. My suggestion. If you are going with spacers, you should get them with the proper hub size and also longer studs. THis is the safest way and will not be a safety concern.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mojambo
hey,

I've read up on spacers quite a bit because I wanted to put on some 5mm spacers for daily driving. Now here is the deal. These spacers you mention are generic and are meant to fit any 5 bolt application. the Hub centre is hug and will not centre your wheel during installation. This can cause unwanted vibrations (feels like an unbalanced tire) and there is a slight safety concern. The RA has a hub size of 67.1, when you purchase wheels they are supposed to provide HUB CENTRIC rings. These rings ensure that the wheel is properly centered and that the HUB is actually carrying the weight of the vehicle. When the hub size does not match, all the vehicles weight is on the studs. Studs are meant to hold the wheel from moving side to side, not from moving up and down. My suggestion. If you are going with spacers, you should get them with the proper hub size and also longer studs. THis is the safest way and will not be a safety concern.
Thanks mojambo. you're seriously like a professional. great advice!
Old Aug 30, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

measure how much clearance between the fender and tire and get a wheel spacer to match H&R's are really good quality i got front and backs... hope these help u decide

Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Dang Chris. those are seriously aggressive! I think I'm going for the more toned down look for now. I'll be posting some pics soon. I put my wheels on tonight and I like how they look. Not sure I need a wider stance - for now. Thanks for your post!