Notices

Torn between F1 and KDW2

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like my KDW's. Two track sessions on them so far and they look good. They're also daily driven.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Hi Black I was going to pm you to let you know that the tires at least are working great! last day I took a corner and sudenly found a car dead stopped on the road and I had to maneuver inmediately and they responded as expected with a very good grip. Im beggining to love those tires. Ah the tires... F1.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you all veryyy much for all the input... I ordered the BFG's yesterday. I'm semi-scared that I'm gonna kill most of the tread by winter, but even if I do, it'll be better than the bald stock Potenzas, which hydroplaned. Toyo T1-r's would be cool, but won't be an option until I feel like paying a buncha $$ for wheels, which I probably won't. For those who currently have the KDW2's, how do you recommend breaking them in?

Myszkewicz those tread measurements are reassuring to know. Unfortunately, I'm gonna end up tearing the crap outa these in the end, but it's nice to know they're capable of that kind of wear. By the way, how often do you rotate and in what pattern? Thanks.

DangerousDan, I'm glad Bert prefers the BFG's. It is RWD but his reasons sound good.

Thanks for the PM's and input RALLIART2U. I'll definitely be choosing from the F1's among others next time around.

Thanks again people, I appreciate it! I'll let you know how the word-of-mouth holds true.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blackhawkRA
By the way, how often do you rotate and in what pattern?
I've been rotating my tires every 7500 miles. RR to RF, LR to LF, no cross rotation with directional tread.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 08:04 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I just broke mine in with about 500 miles of high speed highway driving, after that, they cornered nicely
Old Jun 29, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

My KDW's on my SRT were pretty sucky!! They were pretty sticky when they were fresh, but it didn't last long for me (and I'm a pretty conservative driver.) They went a lot faster than I thought they would.

Like another guy said, be very careful when the tread starts wearing down. The torque steer in my car went INSANE when mine started getting low on tread life. They didn't grip anything after about 40% was gone which took like 3500-4000 miles.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

I had KDWs, they where great all the way until bald. Just got scary in the rain towards the end. Have you considered Falken RT-615s? I have them now and they are magical.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Well.... the KDW's have been pretty good to me so far, however they hardly put up with ~100 miles of Thunderhill yesterday. I looked at the left side at the end of the day and they didn't look too torn up. Then today my boss pointed out that my right sides are torn apart pretty badly on the outside edges of the tread blocks. I guess that's what the track will do to you. They performed nicely at the track and I'm pretty happy with them so far. Hopefully I'll have some tread left before winter gets here. Fat chance on that one.

I hear what people mean when they say they're loud, but honestly, WHO CARES?! If you're picky enough to care about tire noise, why are you buying performance tires?

Yesterday at the track I had to bring the cold pressure down to I think 39 or so in the fronts 'cause they were getting to slightly above max pressure (44psi) by the time they were really heated up after a full session consisting of 6-7 laps of the 3-mile course.

Anyways, all-around good tires.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

well , i bought the F1s and i gotta say those tires are great. I went for a run in some twisties and i felt the difference. I definetly recommend these tires. I got them for $98 each tire. Not bad.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

I was at the track yesterday with my KDW and they handled very well.

My first time at a track it was very intresting. I never thought about pulling off my center caps but obviously I should have I managed to lose one Expensive Rays cap

My tires are also looking a little beat up but they seem to be even better since going to the track like I broke them in maybe?
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I wasn't unimpressed with the performance they offered at the track, it was mostly how easily they wore out. I didn't realize until after I wrote that last post that the rights were totally torn up with big chunks missing from the sidewall. It's primarily due to turn 2 at t-hill. I must have had them overinflated because I didn't take the warmed up temperature into account enough.

Yeah taking them to the track after a proper break-in cycle will more aggresively stretch out the rubber molecules and probably result in a noticeable difference in performance.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

well , the F1's feel great and their traction on wet surfaces is great. I was at the track the other day and the launch was just perfect , no more cra**y tires to launch with.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll try Nitto 555 and I'll let you know my comments !

but they seem to be awesome on a 400 HP eagle talon
Old Sep 9, 2006, 09:49 AM

i have the kdw on my lancer and at firts i had terebil traction then i dropped a lil air pressur in my fronts and bad this tires are by far the best i have both in a long time
Old Sep 9, 2006, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
let me tell ya something... the KDW2's are excellent tires for 60% to 100% tread... if the tread drops below 60% they become death traps.. I refused to drive in rain or any other weather based on them in that condition.. They dont last more than 5000 miles even when driven easy... PERFORMANCE on dry surface is amazing.. and when new they are the best rain tires PERIOD. As for the F1's they are over priced most of the times but are very very good over all tires, performance in my opinion is lower than the KDW2's but seemed to last me a little longer.... its a toss up for the cash
I have the KDWs on my car and they have lasted me ~21,000 miles. they are basically bald now, but i needed to fix my alignment and they were losing balance. I thought they were good, never tracked them in AutoX so I couldnt tell you on that one. but for the street i thought i payed for a pretty good tire overall.

Originally Posted by Spooldyou
i've had the KDW's and i never liked them. to me they are not a performance tire dispite the hype. Im trying out the Falken Azenis RT-615s. I know they have an awesome sidewall and are like glue when warmed up. My 2 cents
Whats the price diff on the RT-615s and the KDW2s, though?