Notices

Torn between F1 and KDW2

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2006, 01:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torn between F1 and KDW2

OK, I'm about to go bananas because I've been trying to make this decision for weeks. I'll try to keep it concise because people here hate reading a lot. I'm torn between the following 2 tires:

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2

comparison link

From what I've heard, the sidewalls on the F1's are very mushy and turn-in isn't precise, which is a big no-no with me. I want my tires to be instantly responsive and perfectly predictable, especially at turn-in. Sounds like increasing front tire pressure close to the limit only does so much, but I don't have many people supporting this notion. One thing I would like to find out.

People say the KDW2's are very loud, which couldn't concern me any less. If you can hear me coming 3 miles away, so be it, as long as they perform well. Comfort matters to an equally insignificant degree.

Hopefully whatever I get will last me through next winter (which is still a California winter, meaning just rain). Apparently the F1's are absolutely incredible in the wet, which is logical considering their tread pattern. According to reviews, the KDW2's aren't too shabby in the wet, either but probably won't offer the same amount of safety and wet traction as the F1's. Another point I would like to figure out.

The BFG's will cost more in my case, but that's not of all that much concern to me.

I really like both tires and I will probably end up with both at some point in time on this car, it's just a matter of what I want now. Please chime in even if you haven't tries either of these tires. And if you have, give as much input as possible please. Keep in mind I will be running occasional auto-x events on these, along with frequent twisty road runs during the summer.

I hope to get input soon. Thanks a lot.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

I say go for the KDW's. I'm not a big fan of Good Year because every performance tires that I have had from them don't perform like they say. I think that Good Years should stick to trucks and suv's.

I've never tried BFGoodrich's performance tires but I've heard nothing but good reviews on them. It sounds like you are leaning more towards them in your post anyway. I think they will do just fine in the rain as long as you don't drive like a lot of those jackasses out there. I say go for the BFGoodies, they will handle your RA better.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 07:49 AM

i was also torn on tires too but ended up running kuhmo mx on my evo, really good bang for the buck, real grippy when warmed up. decent in the rain. only negative is sidewall is not that stiff.
also look into the falken azenis rt, stiff sidewall, not too expensive but not for wet roads.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:08 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I've had the KDW2's on my car for about a month on them and am very pleased. It takes awhile to get them broken in (500+ miles) but once they're ready they hold corners very well. The road noise isn't anywhere near as bad as the reviews made me think, but they do whine a bit on the highway. Wet traction is rather good, too, I haven't hydroplaned yet, and during a nasty rainstorm I was able to take an S-turn on the way home nearly as fast as I take it in the dry.

Evil_IX - unfortunately, neither the MX or Azenis are made in the Ralliart's stock size
Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

my BMW friend has had both, and says he won't go back to the F1's. He recommended I get the KDW 2nd gen when I asked him about my car. Said they are unequaled for the price, and stick harder in the corners than the f1's. Aside from that, and this is probably more with RWD, the f1's exhibited an unusual amount of wear from push. The tread was actually rolling over. He has since maxed out the camber in the front to compensate some, but when he asked on bimmer forums most said it was a common problem with the f1's.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

as far as the wet, on tire rack they are rated better, and again Bert, my BMW friend, said the KDW's were better. I don't see how you really have a choice
Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

I have the gforce sports, btw, and think they are pretty good too. couldn't fork out the extra 30$ per tire for the kdw's, figured I go for second best.

Discount tire will pricematch with anyone, even internet pricing if you bring them a quote. They offer excellent service and can get any tire. Locally they don't carry the 2ng gen KDW, so make sure they do in your area. If they don't, have them order them. For some reason Bert said DON'T GET the 1st gen.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:31 AM

KDWs are LOUD tires!

Try the Hankook RS2, can't beat it for the price.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the KDW2s, got them last Summer. I believe the reports on Tirerack about them being loud are way overstated. IMO, they perform better than any tire in their class in dry, and equal or better than any tire in their class on wet roads. The only reason they're not rated the top of their class is because they make a little bit of noise. You'll be so happy with how they corner, you won't notice any noise.

Get the KDW2s, you won't be disappointed with them.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have KDW TT's. I just took firsrt in class at an atuocross in the wet. They have good traction in the dry too. Not really noisy. But I'm not feeling the stiffness in the sidewall you are looking for. So far treadwear is better than the Advan A046. I'm most surprised by the dry traction. Its way better than Kumho 712's or Dunlop FM901's. And not far from the Advan A046.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

let me tell ya something... the KDW2's are excellent tires for 60% to 100% tread... if the tread drops below 60% they become death traps.. I refused to drive in rain or any other weather based on them in that condition.. They dont last more than 5000 miles even when driven easy... PERFORMANCE on dry surface is amazing.. and when new they are the best rain tires PERIOD. As for the F1's they are over priced most of the times but are very very good over all tires, performance in my opinion is lower than the KDW2's but seemed to last me a little longer.... its a toss up for the cash
Old Jun 25, 2006, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

i personally like the F1's but either way you wouldnt go wrong... both great dry weather tires but the F1's are greater in wet and thats def a big sell point cause hey, safety comes first right? but i know this is not a choice for you but i personaly would go with the toyo t1-r's.... those tires r freakin amazing, solid walls, great dry/wet performance... cant go wrong
Old Jun 26, 2006, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
the KDW2's ...dont last more than 5000 miles even when driven easy.
I have about 15,000 miles on mine, and I've only worn off 1/32" on the rear tires, and 1/16" on the front. They have 10/32" of tread when new, mine just yesterday measured 8/32" and 9/32" front and rear. If you drove easy on 'em and still wore them out in 5000 miles, something is wrong with your alignment.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

i've had the KDW's and i never liked them. to me they are not a performance tire dispite the hype. Im trying out the Falken Azenis RT-615s. I know they have an awesome sidewall and are like glue when warmed up. My 2 cents
Old Jun 26, 2006, 07:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont like my KDW's. I wish I would have gone with something else. They dont get traction for anything at the track. I spin through 1st and most of 2nd.

I will probably switch over to the Falken 615's or a Nitto 555.

Just my .02