Notices

steering wheel clicking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering wheel clicking

so today i disconvered a problem, the radio was off so thats why i heard it. whever i turn the steering wheel, i hear this clicking sound, left or right doesent matter, one full turn of the wheel probably makes between 30 and 40 clicks. anyone have this happen to them? i still need to get a wheel alightment done after having the teins put in, but i'd be very surpised if that caused it.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

I believe you should check your CV boots to make sure they aren't broken. If they are, then, that is your problem.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your axles.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

damn, ok, i'll have to check it out and see. its strange thou, the car has 20,000km on it, so its bairly broken in. on top of that, i dont even have to be moving to hear it, the engine can be in N, running, and turning the wheels it does it.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

You are sure its coming from the steering wheel itself? Sounds almost like the turn signal automatic turn off doohickee (you know what I am talk about I hope) may be catching behind the steering wheel. Just a geuss.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 06:59 AM

i had the same problem, before i put my tein coilovers on, i had the tein s-techs, i bet you its your upper strut bearing, its not sitting properly, when you turn your wheels even at a dead stop, you hear a click, click , click sound,

Last edited by ralliart67; Aug 7, 2006 at 07:04 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

can't be CV joints, since it happens while he is sitting still they would be moving only slightly, not enough to make noises anyway. I would remove the springs and if you still have the problem take it to the dealer. If removing the springs alleviates the problem you need to investigate where the noise is coming from more, unless you don't want to put the springs back on.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

yeah its definitly not the cv joints, i just went out and had a good listen, moving or not, doesent matter. engine on or off, doesent matter (rules out powersteering pump) i cannot hear the noise anywhere in the engine bay when turning the wheel. sticking my head under the dash and above the dash (by the windsheild) i can hear it. so im left thinking it could be either the clockspring, or the intermediary shaft/cv shaft on the steering colume. or the strut bushing like said above, but, i cant hear it in the engine bay with the engine off. so unless the noise is traveling through the suspension and up the steering colume.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

well, i went out and listened again this time with a mechanical stethascope, and narrowed it right down to the strut tower, guess its that damn bushing. has anyone made aftermarket replacement ones for our car yet? can we use the evo ones? (fat chance i know)
Old Aug 8, 2006, 03:05 AM
Evolved Member

I'd change the springs back and take it in for the warranty. I think bushings are pretty generic, but good luck finding something that will work since no one knows what an RA is, or even has it in there parts book for that matter. You could always make your own with that urethane stuff people make the motor mounts with, you just need to fab a mold.