Notices

DSM calipers + Ralliart = Win.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2007, 09:58 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, that's a helluva deal. From a friend?
Old Jan 1, 2007, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, from a friend. I got him a smokin deal on a pool table recently, so he's returning the favor.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 11:55 AM
EvoM Administrator

You'll probably get yours in before I do, if so, don't forget to share.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

If I get to them before you do yours, I'll be sure to post up.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so you guys are telling me if i buy 2g 12 yr old calipers for ra i will stop better then verus the stock
Old Jan 1, 2007, 08:28 PM
EvoM Administrator

Exactly. Caliper technology hasn't really changed in the last 10-20 years.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superalf574
so you guys are telling me if i buy 2g 12 yr old calipers for ra i will stop better then verus the stock
If it bothers you that much, just tell yourself that they are from a '99 GSX, so they're only 7 years older than the rest of your car.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 01:45 AM

Plus you can get a busier aftermarket for the GSX calipers. The mirager's do this swap a lot too, but instead use GVR4 rotors redrilled to 4x100. It's a miracle for us, I imagine the non-RA boys could do that too, except without the redrill.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a little info for those that dont know yet. I went to the dealer yesterday and found out that you can not get the calipers from them, the only thing you can get is the mounting brackets wich I was told run 68 dollars a piece, or a rebuild kit with the bracket for 158 per side. Auto zone can not get the rebuild kit or mounting bracket for these calipers. soooo your looking at about 350 dollars for the conversion that is if the calipers dont mount up to our brackets. Calipers from autozone would run with tax and core charge 203 for a pair.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 09:18 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by silversleeper
Just a little info for those that dont know yet. I went to the dealer yesterday and found out that you can not get the calipers from them, the only thing you can get is the mounting brackets wich I was told run 68 dollars a piece, or a rebuild kit with the bracket for 158 per side. Auto zone can not get the rebuild kit or mounting bracket for these calipers. soooo your looking at about 350 dollars for the conversion that is if the calipers dont mount up to our brackets. Calipers from autozone would run with tax and core charge 203 for a pair.
So really your best best then is to keep an eye out for part-outs and eBay.

Edit - here's a nice 1G set on eBay right now. You'd just need brake lines.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eclip...spagenameZWDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eclip...spagenameZWDVW

Right now, I'm looking at about a total of around $200 for this conversion. That covers calipers/brackets, SS lines, and pads.

Last edited by otter; Jan 3, 2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
If it bothers you that much, just tell yourself that they are from a '99 GSX, so they're only 7 years older than the rest of your car.
well it doesnt bother me but it sounds like a wierd mod like ottter did it but whats the down side your 7yr old calipers break then your sos i will hold out for a big brake kit
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:04 AM
EvoM Administrator

They're not going to break. Before you install them, like ANY calipers, you inspect all the seals. If any are worn or leak, you replace them, then install.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

+1 to otter. There are no circuit boards or wiring. This is a hunk of metal with two pistons in it. Rebuild the pair and it's like brand new. there are two brake kits out already, one from RRM and one from RPW. Both have upsides and downsides. Both are very expensive compared to this, IIRC RRMS is over twice the cost and don't even ask about shipping and duties from Australia, I looked for Christine once and ZOMG!!!!

Last edited by DangerousDan; Jan 3, 2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 01:57 PM
EvoM Administrator

RPW's brake kit isn't a big brake kit, it's a rebuilt 2G caliper with upgraded pads, lines, and rotors.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superalf574
well it doesnt bother me but it sounds like a wierd mod like ottter did it but whats the down side your 7yr old calipers break then your sos i will hold out for a big brake kit
^^^^^^^ Those are not going to break unless you completely total the front of your car. I also wouldnt get rid of the stockers just incase somthing does happen and you have to rebuild those in the futer. I am looking into getting some and may just spend the 350 to get the NEW calipers from AUTOZONE wich leads me to the next statement. IF somthing did happen the calipers are only 100 with the core to purchase one and autozone does carry them. You wouldnt be hunting around for them if you didnt want to. Also if you buy them from autozone then you get a life time warrenty with them. Just a few things to think about. Like i stated above the dealership can get the rebuild kits but that is the only place I know that can. The only down side is if you rebuild them you have to buy the kit with the braket ect. Dealer buy couldnt find just the rebuild kit without the braket.

Quick Reply: DSM calipers + Ralliart = Win.