Notices

Brake Flush

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2007, 06:03 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
So is the technical term in in Canada a toque?
Drugs are bad, mmkay?
Old Mar 25, 2007, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha, i'll be replacing all four pads soon enough. Probably will flush if i get the chance. Also want to flush my tranny fluid while i change my oil but i hear its 10x easier to flush the tranny using a lift...
Old Mar 30, 2007, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pad replacement and fluid flush done yesterday.
A couple of notes:
-You need less than 1 liter to do this.
-Made a DIY brake fluid catch can out of a 2 liter and some small clear tubing from the auto parts store.
-When bleeding the clutch....pay attention to the brake fluid level! If looking into the engine bay from the front, the clutch line is fed in from the rear bottom right of the brake fluid reservoir. It has it's own little chamber in there. Brake fluid appeared to be okay, but looking at that corner, it was empty. Took us awhile to get all the air out.....but it's good and firm now.

We got a considerable amount of air out of the system, and everything feels like new now. No more spongy brake or clutch pedal. The braking force is greatly improved with the Hawk HPS's. No noise at all.
Highly recommended to do this if you are upgrading your brakes. It's a LOT easier than I thought it would be. The front pads were ridiculously easy to change.

Last edited by Eclipse2Lancer; Mar 30, 2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 06:37 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nice I picked up some valvoline full syn. dot 4, getting ready to do mine..
Old Apr 3, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
nice I picked up some Valvoline full syn. dot 4, getting ready to do mine..

Thats the one I have on my Sportback...next month I will change my pads for EBC (green/front & red/back) and put braided lines with some fresh Valvoline SYn fluid.
Old May 19, 2007, 06:43 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

well I just got done with the ss lines,ebc reds, and brake flush .....I still have some breaking in to do but the changed response is NICE.....
Old May 19, 2007, 06:46 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by ThyPunko_PR
Thats the one I have on my Sportback...next month I will change my pads for EBC (green/front & red/back) and put braided lines with some fresh Valvoline SYn fluid.
I wouldn't recommend mixing your pads like that (weaker pad in front and stronger pad in back.) Ideally, you want both front and rear pads to have equal grabbing power. If that's not possible, you want the front wheels to have greater grabbing power.
Old May 19, 2007, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just bled my system this morning, all i can say is WOW what a difference.
now i have to change my brake pads tmw and bleed it again. Track > lancer.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
bumping an old thread cause i could use some relevant information

i currently have in the works a set of SS brake lines coming in the mail as well as about to purchase some ATE Superblue to completely flush out the system

i had a guy however tell me that it probably wasnt such a good idea. does this statement hold any merit or should i just ignore it?

"Umm, I don't think you want to swap out any brake fluid out. Because DOT3 is probably what you have in the car right? Swapping out fluid will require you to replace the brake master cylinder (it's a headache trust me, not worth it). Plus you got to keep track of the lines your swapping, one false "mis-swap" of lines and braking could feel like 3 times worst. Plus your master cylinder's seals are brearing the already DOT3 fluid and bleeding the ABS. Draining and swapping fluid could damage those seals in turn extremely soft pedal. You could mix a little DOT4 if the store is out of DOT3, but anything else is a waste of money time and energy. Besides DOT3 is great for street use. It's NOT cars that are eat, sleep, and race on the track."

i'm a bit confused on some of his statements on whether or not that they're legitimate. opinions would be greatly appreciated and advice would be helpful as well
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Raikiri

i currently have in the works a set of SS brake lines coming in the mail as well as about to purchase some ATE Superblue to completely flush out the system

i had a guy however tell me that it probably wasnt such a good idea. does this statement hold any merit or should i just ignore it?

"Umm, I don't think you want to swap out any brake fluid out. Because DOT3 is probably what you have in the car right? Swapping out fluid will require you to replace the brake master cylinder (it's a headache trust me, not worth it). Plus you got to keep track of the lines your swapping, one false "mis-swap" of lines and braking could feel like 3 times worst. Plus your master cylinder's seals are brearing the already DOT3 fluid and bleeding the ABS. Draining and swapping fluid could damage those seals in turn extremely soft pedal. You could mix a little DOT4 if the store is out of DOT3, but anything else is a waste of money time and energy. Besides DOT3 is great for street use. It's NOT cars that are eat, sleep, and race on the track."

i'm a bit confused on some of his statements on whether or not that they're legitimate. opinions would be greatly appreciated and advice would be helpful as well
Doesn't DOT4 just have a higher temperature rating? I honestly don't actually know the difference, but i put DOT4 in mine after my rebuild, and i have no clue what was in it before. Feels fine.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
Doesn't DOT4 just have a higher temperature rating? I honestly don't actually know the difference, but i put DOT4 in mine after my rebuild, and i have no clue what was in it before. Feels fine.
that was my thought too but he was saying something about the seals may get screwed up or whatnot. im still confused on why i would have to replace the BMC by flushing with new fluid...
Old Aug 23, 2011, 02:31 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

that's BS , I changed my brake lines to ss and did a flush with dot4 fluid back in 2006 and nothing happened to my bmc ....And that was back in the day when I was going through a bottle of nitrous every week.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Put The B to the S and you get BS !!

He is full of and overflowing bovine fecal matter.

If you were going to change to a silicone based brake fluid then what he says would be needed.

Go to AP Racing's website and check their comments on brake fluid.

Why would they say that their brake fluid can mix with any other DOT 3, DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 fluid if doing so would put you through a wall ?

I am using Motul DOT 5.1. It has higher wet and dry boiling points than DOT 3 and maintains its viscosity in the cold (-30C) better than DOT 3.

From my research, DOT 5 (silicone based) fluid is not recommended for daily driven or competition cars.

Go forth and bleed thy lines and may thou brake pedal always be firm.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:16 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Raikiri

That person is 100% full of ****.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the help guys. now i wont worry so much about doing my brake overhaul