Notices

Brake Flush

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2007, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake Flush

Since I will be soon updating my brake pads, I thought it would be a good idea to flush the brake fluid and replace it with Motul or some ATE Superblue.
Does anyone know how much brake fluid I will need to buy to do this? I have never done a full system flush before, only small bleeds.
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you won't need anymore than a bottles worth of fluid i just used standered dot 4 ,just don't let the master cylinder run dry i beleive i filled it 3-4 times. you shouldn't have any problems.i started at the front (had four tubes pushed on the bleading valve then let drip into bottles ) then worked my way back. i would do this ever year or more if your racing around cones or cars.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

So just one 1 liter bottle will be enough? Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2007, 08:53 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ikeing
you won't need anymore than a bottles worth of fluid i just used standered dot 4 ,just don't let the master cylinder run dry i beleive i filled it 3-4 times. you shouldn't have any problems.i started at the front (had four tubes pushed on the bleading valve then let drip into bottles ) then worked my way back. i would do this ever year or more if your racing around cones or cars.
From what I've read, when bleeding brakes you should always start the furthest from the master cylinder then work towards it. So, RR, LR, RF, then LF. It probably won't be a bad idea to get two bottles, as well. You don't want to get halfway through it and realize you don't have enough. Don't forget to bleed the clutch at the same time, too, since it pulls fluid from the brake resevoir. I'll be flushing my brakes/clutch next month, as well, probably with motul.

Last edited by otter; Feb 18, 2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
From what I've read, when bleeding brakes you should always start the furthest from the master cylinder then work towards it. So, RR, LR, RF, then LF. It probably won't be a bad idea to get two bottles, as well. You don't want to get halfway through it and realize you don't have enough. Don't forget to bleed the clutch at the same time, too, since it pulls fluid from the brake resevoir. I'll be flushing my brakes/clutch next month, as well, probably with motul.
Ah.....thanks for the reminder on the clutch....I would have forgotten!

Yeah, I'll be doing this all next month.....when it is warmer. I'll be installing my coilovers too.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From what I've read, when bleeding brakes you should always start the furthest from the master cylinder then work towards it. So, RR, LR, RF, then LF. It probably won't be a bad idea to get two bottles, as well.
On an ABS system, you want to bleed starting furthest from the ABS unit, so LR, RR, LF, RF.

Two bottles isn't a bad idea. If you don't use the second bottle, it'll be there next time.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe ATE says two bottles and flush till you get blue fluid and next time use their gold. Alternate colors everytime you flush your system and you'll be able to tell when you've done a proper job.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how often should u bleed brakes?
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by samj601
how often should u bleed brakes?
"Normal" use probably every 2 years. More often for race applications (some hardcore guys bleed after every track session).
I am doing a full system flush because I am switching to a higher temp fluid, and my brake pedal is a bit more spongy than I like.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

I flush/bleed every time I change front pads. Hasn't happened yet on my RA, but on my old car, I wore out a set of pads every 6 months.

I'll be upgrading the brakes on my RA in a couple/few weeks, and will flush and bleed the system then.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Is the clutch bleeder screw where the release fork piston assembly is? I think I see it there on top....just want to confirm that is it.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 09:33 AM
EvoM Administrator

Yeah, the screw with the little beanie hat thing covering it.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the screw with the little beanie hat thing covering it.
For some reason my "beanie hat" is gone. I blame the dealer when they replaced my clutch.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:09 AM
EvoM Administrator

That's the technical term. If you go to the parts counter and ask for a beanie hat for your clutch, they should have one.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

That's the technical term. If you go to the parts counter and ask for a beanie hat for your clutch, they should have one.
Or they'll at least have a good laugh.

So is the technical term in in Canada a toque?

Quick Reply: Brake Flush