Notices

Tein Stech Springs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2008, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ride with TEIN's is bouncy of course but its not so bad tho. i've had 4 people in the car most of the time with no problem at all, no rubbing or anything. im @ 27k right now & i think my struts r still ok(hopefully.lol!)

as for PROGRESS, i heard that... the rear makes the gap twice higher so instead of lowering it, it lifts up the rear a bit more.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Really? It lifts the back up? Thats what I need then.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Cheap does not always equal greatness
Old Oct 11, 2008, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

The ride with the STechs werent bad on my 03 but of course, my RF strut was gone after they were installed. It did have 40k + miles. I could never have anyone in the rear of the car because my RR rubbed really bad. It destroyed the sidewalls on my brand new BFGoodrich G-forces.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:03 PM

I ordered the tein s techs over the weekend. I should be installing them soon. I will search for a "how to article". I have some experience working on suspensions. I installed Belltech springs, shocks, camber kit, and sway bar end links on my F-150. Any tips? Thanks

Last edited by D1no; Oct 13, 2008 at 11:10 PM. Reason: correctin
Old Oct 14, 2008, 03:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by D1no
I ordered the tein s techs over the weekend. I should be installing them soon. I will search for a "how to article". I have some experience working on suspensions. I installed Belltech springs, shocks, camber kit, and sway bar end links on my F-150. Any tips? Thanks
If you changed out all that stuff on an F-150 you should have no problem getting the struts off your car.

Last edited by blackevolution8; Oct 14, 2008 at 03:53 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 02:08 PM

After the install

I installed the Tein S springs and the KYB GR2s, nice firm ride, great look. Those front top strut nuts are a pain, with no inpact wrench. The spring/shock combo raised my rear about a half inch and lowered the front 1.25 inch. The drop measured 12.5 inches from the fender edge to the center of the stock wheels. I am very happy with the ride and look. I have a couple of things that maybe someone can help me with.

I do have an issue with one of the front tires rubbing on the inner fender well liner when turning. I have stock rims and stock size tires. Has anyone had this issue after the install? I will have a look over the weekend.

How important is it to have the top nut properly torqed. The Evo install guide I used said 45lbs. My regular torque wrench wont work on that recessed nut . The shaft turns at the same time the nut is tightened. Does 45lbs. work for the Ralliart?

I will have an alignment done soon. They should be able to torque that top nuts down to the 45lbs.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 03:12 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I installed the Tein S springs and the KYB GR2s, nice firm ride, great look. Those front top strut nuts are a pain, with no inpact wrench. The spring/shock combo raised my rear about a half inch and lowered the front 1.25 inch. The drop measured 12.5 inches from the fender edge to the center of the stock wheels. I am very happy with the ride and look. I have a couple of things that maybe someone can help me with.

I do have an issue with one of the front tires rubbing on the inner fender well liner when turning. I have stock rims and stock size tires. Has anyone had this issue after the install? I will have a look over the weekend.

How important is it to have the top nut properly torqed. The Evo install guide I used said 45lbs. My regular torque wrench wont work on that recessed nut . The shaft turns at the same time the nut is tightened. Does 45lbs. work for the Ralliart?

I will have an alignment done soon. They should be able to torque that top nuts down to the 45lbs.
As long as the nut is tight, it's fine. You'll know if it's not tight as soon as you leave your driveway, you'll hear odd rattling noises on every bump.

The tire rubbing thing with the wheels turned all the way is normal, I get it whenever I'm backing up while turning.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 03:32 PM

OK. So its normal. I do get the rub when I turn sharp to park and when I turn sharp backing up. Thanks for the quick reply.

Last edited by D1no; Nov 26, 2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: sp
Old Nov 26, 2008, 03:54 PM

I drove the RA about a mile to get the upper front struts tightened. It did make the rattling noise over every bump. Is there any chance the nylon bushings at the top of the stut tower are not sitting right? I cant see the nylon bushings from any angle. To get a good look, the struts would have to come out. The strut nut at the top looks well centered when viewing it from under the hood.

I put about 275 miles on it since the install. Is this a good time for the alignment?

I also have 6/32 fronts, 7/32 rears, tread on my tires. Does flipping them on the rim sound like a good idea? They are non directional tires.

Thanks

Last edited by D1no; Nov 26, 2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: added info
Old Nov 26, 2008, 06:01 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I drove the RA about a mile to get the upper front struts tightened. It did make the rattling noise over every bump. Is there any chance the nylon bushings at the top of the stut tower are not sitting right? I cant see the nylon bushings from any angle. To get a good look, the struts would have to come out. The strut nut at the top looks well centered when viewing it from under the hood.

I put about 275 miles on it since the install. Is this a good time for the alignment?

I also have 6/32 fronts, 7/32 rears, tread on my tires. Does flipping them on the rim sound like a good idea? They are non directional tires.

Thanks
If it's making a rattling noise then it's not tight enough. There's really no way for it to set wrong, it just screws in and centers itself. Find a buddy with an air compressor and give each of the top nuts a shot with the impact wrench to get them the rest of the way on there. Also, yeah, you've gone far enough to let everything settle, so you can get an alignment.

I wouldn't bother with flipping tires on the rim unless you're noticing a huge discrepancy in wear. Normal rotation is fine.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 06:48 PM

The rattling only happened right after the install and on my way to get the top strut nuts tightened. I was worried that during my trip over to get it torqed, the nylon bushings could have worked themselves out of position. Thanks, you just cleared it all up for me. Dino.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

coilovers ftw!!

i had ss's with stock struts and they were shot with in a few months. was goin to get kyb's, but i had people tell me they can still blow with those springs. so i just got some megan coilovers.

in the long run you will be so much happier!
Old Nov 28, 2008, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheShortBus
coilovers ftw!!

i had ss's with stock struts and they were shot with in a few months. was goin to get kyb's, but i had people tell me they can still blow with those springs. so i just got some megan coilovers.

in the long run you will be so much happier!
would you be able to comment Megan coilovers vs Tein coilovers ?