Notices

Tires for FWD traction?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tires for FWD traction?

Hey guys. I know i should have searched but I know if i did i would just find a bunch of reviews and opinions. And not many facts of people who have tried different typs of tires. So i'm asking only knowledgeable people this....

What kind of tires should my turbo front wheel drive lancer have. I dont need them for twist and turns, only for traction for the 1/4 mile. But i need it for a daily driver in newjersey.

the tires I got now are Hancook Ventus HR2 size 215/40R17 83H

The tires I have sucked in the first place, and now, are so crazy bald i barly hook up in the raining driving slow. I need new tires and need something for better 60' times.

So what brand and size do you guys recommend? Thanks guys.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sigh... brb
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

from your other thread

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
I don't know about down the 1/4, but the bfgoodrich KDW2's are lasting a nice long time for me so far. put them on the first of July, just rotated them now with the fronts ~1/2 gone and the rear slightly worn. very good tire, available in the same size you are using now (same as mine). it's a summer tire though, so if you are looking for all season it's not for you.

I bought pirelli p6's last time for winter tires, but I did not use them this winter and don't have many miles on them aside from a trip to Kentucky when I first bought them. Nice ride, performed well in all climates that I drove in, including a little snow if I remember correctly.
really I am understating what a great tire the kdw2 is. I just don't want to get all salesman like on you. they came highly recommended to me, and I highly recommend them to you.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

hahah thanks dan So they are better than toyo and all the other tires everybody speaks so much of? What about Nitto's?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you want something with a soft sidewall but a low thread life like the kumho mx..

a tire like that will squat under acceleration and provide great traction for you.

The kdw2 have a stiff sidewall so that wont help with a fwd car.

I have a dd gti that i just put some nitto 555's on and theyre working great. I'm cutting 1.9 60's now with only 1200 miles on the car, basically no seat time... another 1000 miles ill go back to the track and see if i can do better. The tires are a bit pricey though.

Cheers!
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

I agree, the sidewall is stiff. but the positives on the daily driver side are still there, and you can always lower your pressure at the track. they are pretty sticky tires, to say the least. the wet traction was a big plus for me as well, and they have done exceptionally well in that area too.

also, not that it applies in the case of the mx, but I have driven two types of kumho tires before on cars I regularly drove at the time and didn't really care for either set
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome, thanks for the help

I hear good things about the KDW2's but you say softer firewall is better? I'm gonna look into that than, thanks

What about BFG drag radials? They street legal? how are they on traction?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

I dont like kumho tires. Sounds like im yelling at my girlfreind.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

read some reviews and compare ratings and the like on some websites before you take our recommendations. sidewall strength is important for high speed driving like I know you do on the public streets. while some ratings may be biased you can get the general idea of how people feel about the tire
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

yea true. So far i get my heart set on either the KDW2's or the toyo proxes, if i can get them for a cheap price. And i wanna investigate and see whats up with the nitto's and the bfg Drag radial. I'm tossed up between them 4 I guess.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

I have another vote for the KDW2. Great wet/dry traction, I have more confidence in this tire than any other I've considered.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

+1 on the BFGoodwrick T/A KDW 2 TheY grip. If you have the stock rim put the kdw 2 on them.

I have them on my stockies & I have light wt 17 "rim & I'm putting the g-force drag radial on them for track.

KDW 2 are $130 per tire in Tirerack.com
G-force drag radials are $137 per tire in tirerack.com

Link for drag radials
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=19

Link for KDW 2
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ce+T%2FA+KDW+2
Attached Images   

Last edited by Jokiesmurf; Mar 26, 2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

if you really want to grip at the strip....consider getting an specific set of rims/tires just for the track..
hoosiers and you can't go wrong..
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

I look @ the whole page & came up with these our size are not that popular. Looking from 205 to 215 width & from 40 to 50 high & 17 & 16 wheels

The Hoosier R6 are $221 for 205/40/17
Costumer rating 7.06
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....osier&model=R6

Also the Kumho Ecsta V710 are $185 for 215/40ZR16 (Stockies)
Costumer rating 7.34
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Ecsta+V710

G-Force drag radial 137 for 205/40/17 costumer rating 6.6

The Hoosier & Kumho have no threading there like slick smooth surface the G-force has some threading ( street legal)
Price wise the G-force Drag Radial for 137
17" rims (Hoosier or G-Force)
16" rim (Kumho Ecsta V710 ) they look sweet

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:27 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
In my experience, KDW-2s are great for handling, but honestly, they're not great for drag racing, the rubber is too hard (300 treadwear.)

If you don't want a dedicated drag tire (which is what I'd recommend) take a look at the new Dunlop Z1's, I've heard nothing but rave reviews for them, though mostly in the autocross world. Problem is, though, that they're going to wear as fast as your Hankooks did.

With the way you drive, daily driving on drag radials would likely kill them within a summer. Take a look at buying an pair of cheap OEM rims for the front, or some used 15's, and buy two drag radials for them.

Quick Reply: Tires for FWD traction?