Notices

R1Concepts Brake Discs (Rotors)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2008 | 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

R1Concepts Brake Discs (Rotors)

So I've seen some people here on the forum having these discs :

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=011

I'd like to change mines since they are a bit rusty and these ebay discs aren't really expensive. From what I've read here and there they seems to be OK discs but I decided to start a topic before buying them to get official feedback from you guys.

I'm not planning on upgrading my calipers soon (pretty expensive)...only the discs.

Thank you guys

Neo
Old May 15, 2008 | 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Rusty brakes is a reason to change rotors?
FYI: Most rotors will rust after a couple of months...
Old May 15, 2008 | 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bruce988jl
Rusty brakes is a reason to change rotors?
FYI: Most rotors will rust after a couple of months...
No this isn't the only reason

But anyway, let's turn this discussion a bit. I've read that DRILLED Discs aren't as good as I thought. The best option would be to get only Slotted (and Vented) discs ? Mostly because Drilled will warms up faster and higher than slotted (for the lack of material) and they can crack if the holes aren't drilled properly.

I'm learning as much as I can here so if my statement above is false, please correct me

Here's one of the source for my statement : http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=98
Old May 15, 2008 | 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

I always thought that slotting them made the pad wear down faster and drilling them made them run cooler.....Interesting.
Old May 15, 2008 | 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gjgfrombigd
I always thought that slotting them made the pad wear down faster and drilling them made them run cooler.....Interesting.
I know, me too. I'm bumping out the R1 Concepts Drill and Slotted from my choice now...

found some nice EBC discs Slotted. Our model are USR7104 (Front) and USR7108 (Rear)...a bit more expensive than R1 Concepts thought.

How are EBC discs ?
Old May 15, 2008 | 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

ive been thorugh this alot but, drilling and sloting improve your braking and cooling reguardless but like i was saying on these there arent any direction cut for the countersink in the drills soo it cant scoop air in like a higher end racing rotor, so these dont have any directional pattern and i put mine on a diff way then the other member on here cause like i said no direction so i put them the way they look like there spinning right. but braking is improved and i, when u put on " performance" upgrades you tend to leave longevity behing from better materials wering faster not to say there going to crap out in like 3 months but i would not expect the pads more so than the rotors to last longer thena the oem ones but also thats all about how u drive ur car to and weather i supose.
Old May 15, 2008 | 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

in the racing world, its pretty much concluded that drilling is more for looks. Drilled brakes cool down a bit quicker, but they also warm up much faster and are more prone to causing pads to crumble under high heat and to rotor warping. but tbh, if your not racing, it doesn't really matter... drilled rotors do look cool

When the pads/rotors get really hot, they form a thin layer of gas between the pad and rotor, making you lose stopping power. The vent's or hole's job is to provide a path for these gases to escape. While gas buildup in modern pads isnt anything close to what it was years ago, it still happens. today, this is only realistically a problem when you are breaking from high speed very often, ie when lapping on a road racing course.

A fairly new practice has been to cyrogenically treat the rotors. This involves freezing the rotor to about -300c, then slowing warming it back up. It strengthens the metal and makes it more resistant to warping. I just ordered a slottet set of cyro brakes, and I'll be putting them on soon. Since I'm also swapping to a larger caliper and going to better pads, I wont be able to give a fair 'its better', but it's what i went with after doing some research. I got the Power Stop Nitro Blast slotted rotors.
Old May 15, 2008 | 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

I had r1 rotors on my es with ebc pads . I swore by them and they look sexy . I cannot wait to put a set on my ra
Old May 15, 2008 | 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

i have them on my car for a month now and they still have no rust effect after washing.

the point of slotting rotors is for commute driving. they save the pad.
Old May 16, 2008 | 05:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
in the racing world, its pretty much concluded that drilling is more for looks. Drilled brakes cool down a bit quicker, but they also warm up much faster and are more prone to causing pads to crumble under high heat and to rotor warping. but tbh, if your not racing, it doesn't really matter... drilled rotors do look cool

When the pads/rotors get really hot, they form a thin layer of gas between the pad and rotor, making you lose stopping power. The vent's or hole's job is to provide a path for these gases to escape. While gas buildup in modern pads isnt anything close to what it was years ago, it still happens. today, this is only realistically a problem when you are breaking from high speed very often, ie when lapping on a road racing course.

A fairly new practice has been to cyrogenically treat the rotors. This involves freezing the rotor to about -300c, then slowing warming it back up. It strengthens the metal and makes it more resistant to warping. I just ordered a slottet set of cyro brakes, and I'll be putting them on soon. Since I'm also swapping to a larger caliper and going to better pads, I wont be able to give a fair 'its better', but it's what i went with after doing some research. I got the Power Stop Nitro Blast slotted rotors.
That is interesting...do you remember which model you got for the Power Stop Nitro Blast ?
Old May 16, 2008 | 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Model number is JBR583CPR. They don't list them for the ralliart, but they should fit. Powerstop says they are for a 98 eclipse gsx. its a 10.9" rotor with a 5x114.3 bolt pattern, iirc, so it should fit just fine
Old May 16, 2008 | 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
Model number is JBR583CPR. They don't list them for the ralliart, but they should fit. Powerstop says they are for a 98 eclipse gsx. its a 10.9" rotor with a 5x114.3 bolt pattern, iirc, so it should fit just fine
How much did you pay for these ? Where did you order ? I might be interested, they seem to be nice...you got any for 10.2" for the back ?
Old May 16, 2008 | 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Best price I could find for them was at autoaccessoriesgarage.com. They were a little under $150. I didn't look for rears, but they did have some listed for various mitsus.