Notices

Suspension Sag Issue

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much guys for the inputs.

So now I see what you mean by sag in the back.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 06:10 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Pin2Win
My rims and tires are stock size. I didn't change anything up at all because it would cost too much to get rims and tires. Those tires in the picture have been on the car for 6 months by the way.

I will take the sub box out but honestly its not that heavy that I think it would put so much weight to make it wear all the way on the inside of the rim.
Dunno, my box is only ~70 lbs, and it's enough to drop the back a bit.

It might just be time for new springs. You can usually find sets of used aftermarket springs in the classifieds for about $100/set.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:07 PM

So does it mean that lowering springs such as Tein S tech would be better for our stock rear shocks?

If that is true, I'm definitely saving for some aftermarket springs next.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

i had similar issues, basically, i got under the car with mitsu shop, and unfortunately the issue is bad camber caused by poor bushings and just warn parts.

i had a shop do a alinement, and they pulled them as far out as the possibly can go, basically your going to have to replace the allinement bars and bushings in the back. that basically got rid of the massive tire wear that i was having and sinking issues
Old Sep 29, 2008, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

Myfakeevo, I had a feeling it was that. Did you replace every bushing or were there certain ones done. I have a bad squeak coming from one of them so I need to have them replaced anyway.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by myfakeevo
i had similar issues, basically, i got under the car with mitsu shop, and unfortunately the issue is bad camber caused by poor bushings and just warn parts.

i had a shop do a alinement, and they pulled them as far out as the possibly can go, basically your going to have to replace the allinement bars and bushings in the back. that basically got rid of the massive tire wear that i was having and sinking issues
Did you find any upgraded bushings to replace with or did you go with OEM? I'm starting to have this problem, only slightly right now and want to catch it before it kills my tires. How much did all the parts wind up costing btw?
Old Sep 29, 2008, 06:53 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by law418
So does it mean that lowering springs such as Tein S tech would be better for our stock rear shocks?

If that is true, I'm definitely saving for some aftermarket springs next.
No, Tein's springs are worse for your struts due to the increased spring rate. At the same time, because of that spring rate, they also handle the best. I go through a set of struts about every year due to a combination of the springs and nasty pothole ridden roads.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

My bet is blown struts. Struts will fatigue faster than springs ever will.
Check struts for leakage.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eclipse2Lancer
My bet is blown struts. Struts will fatigue faster than springs ever will.
Check struts for leakage.
you found my problem

I'll get around to it after winter... no money and I'm about to bring the car in for new tie rods inner and outter on both sides. fail...
Old Oct 2, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

So now we have 2 answers, Struts and or comletly new bushings and alignment bar in the back. Now im not looking to spend alot of money so it would be cool if someone would have a logical way to narrow it down so I dont invest a small fortune in fixing this.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 08:28 PM

I think I have the same problem. The rear driver side looks lower. I thought I have a broken suspension or something, but when I took it in to the dealership to have it checked, they didn't find anything wrong with it. They say it might be alignment issue.
I'm gonna have it re-check at a different dealership next time I go in for service.

How do I know if I need a realignment?
Old Oct 12, 2008, 08:27 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Pin2Win
So now we have 2 answers, Struts and or comletly new bushings and alignment bar in the back. Now im not looking to spend alot of money so it would be cool if someone would have a logical way to narrow it down so I dont invest a small fortune in fixing this.
Rear struts are cheap, $100 for the pair. I really doubt bushings would cause it to ride like that, and you'd have other symptoms. If you want to check, just get under the car and check all the connection points. You can visually inspect the bushings and you'll see that everything is centered in the holes.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 08:48 AM

i have the same problem. When i got my car it had a 2 finger wheel gap. now im down to one finger fitting on an angle, not even straight on. One thing i noticed is the bolts that the tie bar bolt to have shifted, I dont have a tie bar but i can tell the one side moved because there is an imprint from where it used to be and the metal is still bare instead of being dirty or having slight surface rust. could this cause my ride height to change? also what else is that affecting negatively
Old Sep 8, 2009, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

I've got the same thing going on. Every dealer I took it too said " OHH!, It should be like that! There isn't anything wrong with it."

It wasn't like that when I bought it, so why would it be now?
Old Jan 22, 2021, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by myfakeevo

can you not just change the whole suspension system over to coil overs?