Notices

coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coilovers

I was thinking about buying the TEIN Type Basic Coilovers . Just as a replacement, because I Had stocks put on last time I replaced everything and it cost me 2 grand. So I figure if I can get these for 1K and self install I'll be better off.

Anyone have experience with this set? Its just for street driving, I don't do any track stuff yet.

Thanks guys.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 11:41 AM
Account Disabled

I've had those, as well as Megans. I personally found the Megans to be a more comfortable ride. I would recommend looking into BC Racing coilovers. If you don't plan to drive your car too hard, and would like something closer to stock ride quality, then choose a lower spring rate.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:42 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Wait, you paid $2k for what, stock struts? Holy **** dude, shop around next time. OEM equivalent struts are $300 for a full set, plus another $150-$200 or so if you have to pay someone to install them.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by otter
Wait, you paid $2k for what, stock struts? Holy **** dude, shop around next time. OEM equivalent struts are $300 for a full set, plus another $150-$200 or so if you have to pay someone to install them.
Through a dealer, The faild after 18k miles. I will never do that again. That was parts a labor. Seeing as they ****ed it up the first time and I made them re do it, I got charged double labor. that was may of last year, Springs are bad already and the struts are clunking something awful. Think I can sue?

Originally Posted by MadPatter
I've had those, as well as Megans. I personally found the Megans to be a more comfortable ride. I would recommend looking into BC Racing coilovers. If you don't plan to drive your car too hard, and would like something closer to stock ride quality, then choose a lower spring rate.

I was thinking about the Megans too, just because that's my name. So I would have a Megan sticker on my car. The LOLS.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:26 PM
EvoM Administrator

How are your springs bad?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

How are your springs bad?
I assume they are bad, because there isn't enough room between the tire and the finder to stick a finger. It's not rubbing, yet. This is just the rear btw,

Thats why I took it in the first time to get it looked at, they put new struts and springs in the front. After I asked them too look at the rear. So i left it over night again and they put new struts and springs in the rear. So they say and so I paid.

When I went back it was about an half an inch higher and I said, this isn't right it's still sagging. Why didn't you fix this? They assured me it should be that way, and that they had replaced everything.

After 18K miles, its back to no finger room, and the struts are clunking.
:confu sed:

I think they took advantage of me because I'm a girl, but whatever. I'll do it myself this time.

Also, any advice would be great. If you think its something else, or if you live around me, and are willing to take a look.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by sicnevol; Sep 8, 2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Well in general there isnt much room between the tire and the fender for the rear of the car... i'd say MAYBE about an inch at most. for the fronts though there should be a good amount of room between the tire and fender.

if you're experiencing clunking have them check your tie rods as well as the struts because my car was doing that for a while before i switched the entire system to the Megans and i found out that they were broken. but now i'm actually quite happy with the Megans, they're a little stiffer than what i'm used to but the ride height as well as hitting the corners harder is a plus.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raikiri
Well in general there isnt much room between the tire and the fender for the rear of the car... i'd say MAYBE about an inch at most. for the fronts though there should be a good amount of room between the tire and fender.

if you're experiencing clunking have them check your tie rods as well as the struts because my car was doing that for a while before i switched the entire system to the Megans and i found out that they were broken. but now i'm actually quite happy with the Megans, they're a little stiffer than what i'm used to but the ride height as well as hitting the corners harder is a plus.
I would love to have someone look at my car, but I can't find someone to look for less then $100 bucks. Ugh. IF someone would be willing to take a look for me and let me know what I need to replace, I'll buy you a steak....

I want to do most of the work myself if I can, I want to learn. I have some friends that will help me in my old car club in Indiana, but to far away to have them look at it for me.

Ohh yeah, If this helps pin point anything, the combined rear camber in the back was -0.72 This was when i went to get a aliment last week. I've got the print outs.

Last edited by sicnevol; Sep 8, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 07:14 PM
EvoM Administrator

Chances are your springs are normal. The wheel gap on the car isn't even from the factory. On a stock Ralliart, you should have around 1.5" gap on the front, and 1/2" or less on the rear.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Chances are your springs are normal. The wheel gap on the car isn't even from the factory. On a stock Ralliart, you should have around 1.5" gap on the front, and 1/2" or less on the rear.
okay, might do the coil overs anyway. Just for the experience. I think its sagging a bit because my fingers aren't 1/2 inch think and I can't get one between the fender and the tire. If I'm doing the coil overs anyway, is there anything else I should take a look at just to be sure?

Also, thanks again, so much.

You guys are a great help.