Notices

skid plate

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2011, 06:56 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It looks good bit for 300 bucks plus shipping you could male one yourself out of frp or thick aluminum. This is actually on my " to do list " I want to make one for the front , middle, and rear. It does help at high speeds , that's why BMW and mercedes are so flat on the bottom... Autobahn

here is a pic of what I'm planning on using , I have 3 sheets...

Old Jan 1, 2011, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures are up. This is a very nice plate and the fit and function are amazing.

Old Jan 1, 2011, 06:11 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
It looks good bit for 300 bucks plus shipping you could male one yourself out of frp or thick aluminum. This is actually on my " to do list " I want to make one for the front , middle, and rear. It does help at high speeds , that's why BMW and mercedes are so flat on the bottom... Autobahn

here is a pic of what I'm planning on using , I have 3 sheets...

I doubt there's anybody here that has the equipment necessary to form a skid plate out of 3/8" metal. What you're talking about making is an undertray which does not perform the same function as a skid plate. The skid plate TRF made is intended as engine/transmission protection from impact, not to improve aero.

If you're wanting to make a proper skid plate, diamond plate is not strong enough to take an impact.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
I doubt there's anybody here that has the equipment necessary to form a skid plate out of 3/8" metal.
I do. I run a CNC waterjet and 250-ton press brake.

Been kinda thinking about it anyway, as my plastic panels are torn up. I haven't decided if I'd want 1/8" aluminum aero panels/splash shields, or a thicker 1/2" skid plate. I'm leaning more towards the aero panels, as I don't rally my car like I've done to others in the past.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 05:39 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Myszkewicz

Been kinda thinking about it anyway, as my plastic panels are torn up. I haven't decided if I'd want 1/8" aluminum aero panels/splash shields, or a thicker 1/2" skid plate. I'm leaning more towards the aero panels, as I don't rally my car like I've done to others in the past.
Hmmm so where in FL are you?

And sorry otter I guess I did get a little confused between a skid plate and aero panels. I'm going for the aero panels.....
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:49 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Myszkewicz

Forgot about you The press brake was the part I was thinking nobody would have.

Yeah, unless you have an actual need for underbody armoring, just go with a 1/8" tray.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Revive this thread! I have a friend who works for the DOT and he is going to get me a street sign to act as a skid plate, just need dimensions if anyone has them available that'd be so awesome!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have a no parking sign(p with red circle and crossline)...lol...
used to be on my spareroom wall...now its packed away..(moving next month...trying to get a head start w. least used items being packed first..)...
i used to have a speed limit 25mph...but i dunno where it ended up...now its missing...
anyway it's about 1/8 inch..pretty sure its steel...damn hard to bend...im sure more than suitable enough for areo panels...
as for actually using a sign as a panel...best bet is probably a stop sign...those things are actually pretty large...u wouldnt think its as big as it is when u have it in your hands..probably like ~3ftx~3ft or so...speed sign was ~3ftx~2ft if i remember correctly...(parking is ~8inx~8in...lol)
just get some measuring tape and find one...betcha they're at almost every intersection..lol