Notices

Snow Tires and Steel Wheels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2003, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Tires and Steel Wheels

I am days away from signing a lease for a Ralliart Sportback - was awaiting a dealer quote for a set of steel wheels for snow tires (I live in Eastern Canada where you simply can't drive in the winter on low-profile performance tires). The Lancer LS Sportback has the same size disc brakes (but no ABS) and comes with 195/60R15 on 15X6 steel wheels so I assumed I could mount my snow tires on LS steel wheels.
Well guess what - the LS has a 4-bolt wheel and the Ralliart hub has a 5-bolt, 100 mm bolt circle. According to the dealer there is no OEM 5-bolt steel wheel available in either 15" or 16" size; even steelies from the base Outlander won't fit.
So I am faced with three possible solutions:
1) Mount 205/50R16 snow tires on the OEM alloy wheels, then switch back to the OEM Potenza RE92s in the spring, and again twice a year...
2) Mount 205/50R16 snow tires on the OEM alloy wheels and buy a set of aftermarket alloy wheels for summer use (keep the snows mounted on the OEM wheels).
3) Mount 15" snow tires on a set of "Universal fit" aftermarket steel wheels - assuming I can find a wheel with correct offset and brake clearance.
Each solution involves a significant compromise:
1) Cost of twice-annual changeover, risk of bead damage from frequent mounting/dismounting, deterioration of the wheel's appearance due to salt corrosion
2) Additional cost of a second set of alloys, same corrosion issues for the OEMs, what do I do with the second set of wheels when the lease is over?
3) Non-OEM steel wheels are not hub-centered; my own experience and expert advice indicates there will always be some vibration at highway speeds.

The fourth solution is to get a different car - this is something Mitsubishi needs to take into consideration.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 07:52 AM

wtf ? Tell me it's 5x114.3 mm and not 5x100 ...

If it's 5x114.3 and you're stuck for steelies, go see a Mazda dealership.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the tip, axdriver.
I'm afraid they are 5 X 100 mmm

That's what makes it hard to find a steelie; I think they're 42 mm offset, but the only 15" wheel the dealer could find was a Universal fit aftermarket steelie - no good - issues with vibration. Been down that road and don't want to go there again.

So I ordered the car and then ordered some 205/50 R 16 snow tires from Tire Trends. They'll go on the OEM alloy wheels and see me thru this winter. In the spring - who knows?

I'm going to start another thread soon on the Bridgestone RE(@s that are OEM on the car; every review I've read says they suck!
Old Nov 14, 2003, 05:45 PM

That's Bridgestone RE92 - excuse my shift key
Old Nov 17, 2003, 06:21 PM

5x100 ? wtf is Mitsu smoking?
5x100 is Subaru territory.

Mitsu should stick with the EVO specs for it's 5 bolt.
At least Mazda only has 2 bolt patterns on their cars. Mitsubishi seems to like to mix it up.

Can you take a pic of the back of the rims when they are off the car? It should have all the specs stamped somewhere on the back of the spokes (bolt pattern, offset, etc). Just curious.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 06:52 PM

I'll do that, axdriver, but won't be able to do so until I pick up the car sometime next week - it's being delivered with the snow tires (Kumho KW 17's) mounted on the OEMs.

I believe the Evo won't take anything smaller than a 17" wheel due to brake clearances.

I can't understand why Mitsu would change to a 4-bolt pattern for the 15's on the Sportback LS (same brake diameters front & back)!!!
Old Nov 29, 2003, 04:42 PM

First serious snowfall today, and my new Ralliart Sportback does quite well with its Kumho KW-17 snow tires.

My original post that started this thread stated that the OEM wheel Pitch Circle Diameter (PCD) was 5X100; that was based on what the dealer was telling me - and it was wrong!!!

The wheel specs are:
Size: 16X6JJ
Offset: 46mm (1.8 in)
PCD 114.3mm (4.50)

So I'm a bit miffed with the dealer - ended up spending more on snow tires than I wanted to, and got 50-profile when I wouls have preferred 60-profile on 15" wheels.

Listen up, snowbelt Ralliart owners; I believe there are Mitsu OEM steelies that will fit our cars -
Outlander steelies are as follows:

Size: 16X6JJ
PCD 5X114.3mm (4.50)

And '03 Galant steelies (pretty sure 5 lug):

Size: 15X6JJ
PCD: 114.3mm (4.50 in)

But before you commit - check with your dealer, read the Owner's Manuals for these cars and even insist on a trial fit by the dealer. Hey, if you're going to drop about $50 x 4 with the dealer for OEM steelies, they should do this for you for free.

Or you could check out Mazda steelies, like axdiver suggested, though I don't know what the offset is.

Anyway, next winter I'm gonna put my snows on Outlander steelies.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 07:07 PM

Thumbs up

Hey folks. Just got my new Sportback Ralliart last week. First winter storm coming tomorrow. Oh ya!

Anyway, I found 15" steel rims at Wal-Mart that's made for the Lancer Sportback. They look ugly (black) but seeing how I'm sticking studded winters (185 65 R15) on it...and the tires will be buried in snow for the next 4 months.

I had the dealer do the install and everything was perfect. Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know.

Now, bring on the storms!

spennell
Old Dec 3, 2003, 11:23 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It this helps, I have a friend who lived in Wi and Mi most of her life, and she spent years having her snow tires mounted and then dismounted every year for years without problems. They were stock alloys on a T-bird.

As for the 4 bolt pattern on the LS, I don't think they switched TO it, they switched FROM it to the 5 bolt for the ralliart, since the 02-03 versions have 4 bolt patterns. Although they still made sure to use 4x100 and 4x114.5 still. What are they thinking?
Old Dec 4, 2003, 12:35 AM

neons are 5x100 so if you want to find some steelies i'm sure they might be able to fit. vw's are also 5x100. i guess i'm good to keep my 18"s from my neon and swap them onto my ralliart