Notices

cv joint

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2010, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cv joint

My front left cv joint boot is shredded up. I saw a different thread saying you have to buy the whole axle if you want to do any work on that section. The car's pulling hard left so something probably needs to be done. Do I really have to drop $650 on this guy - MR580749 or is there a smaller section I can get? The only other part I'm seeing around that area is 3817A003 which is going for like $320, but it says inner cv joint so it looks like I'm beat. I have a 2004 MT RA.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wether or not a cv joint is available id advise on getting the whole shaft. u never know if u damaged the rest of the shaft and how much grease you lost so in a few months or a year or w/e you might have it go out again making noise or vibrating or something else and then having to buy the shaft then anyway...

ps: did it pull before the shaft tore up..?
kuzz i dont think ive ever heard of a cv shaft causing a pull...just noise or vibration...
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My alignment was off so I went to have it corrected a few weeks ago. They said they couldn't set the camber on the left wheel and didn't know why so they just charged me $30. When I looked around that area I saw the boot had opened up. I'm not sure what's throwing the alignment off, but I need to at least do something about the boot since it's definitely lost some grease. The CV joint isn't really making noise or causing other symptoms, so I've been tempted to send it in for a rebuild through the rock auto website. It's like $70 vs $650, but you're probably right about it needing to be tossed, so I may just wait till I have the cash for replacing everything.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
front or rear camber?

if its the rear, it probably the control arm bushings like mine..(it pulls left like hell on the e-way...or over 60mph...)...but is ok on normal roads...it off like 1.2 degrees..(dont know how saavy u are on alignments....but its quite a bit in alignment terms....normally if u align the car say 1nce a year...it only moves at most about .4-.5 degrees...mines almost triple....and its maxed out to the min side...if i try toget adjusted it it just goes way futher off...

if its the front....probably have sumn bent somewhere...
(in fact im not really sure u can align the front camber w/out after market bolts...the're thinner where they go thru the strut to allow for some movement...where the oe bolts fill up the whole hole..and IF ur lucky might be able to get a teeeeeeny bit of adjustment..)
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:21 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Call indianapolis rack and axle. http://www.indianapolisrackandaxle.com/

When I had to replace my front axles due to torn boots a year or two ago I was able to get remanufactured axles for around $100 per axle + core charge.