Notices

NEW RIMS...kinda

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
NEW RIMS...kinda

Hey i just picked these up, they are JDM mitsu, not sure if they are lancer or eclipse wheels, anyways they are a lot like 2g USDM ecplise GS-T wheels, only the spokes are rounded...so they are a little beat up, but not too bad overall, i'm just wiping them down, and shining them up with mother's chrome polish, some of the rash i may touch up later...anyways after shining them up I painted the mitsu emblems...let me know what you think...

the rubber that came on them is going, they're actually in pretty good shape, but i'm putting my Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31's on em'....

paid 300$ cash...not too shabby, i like em'....not sure what the offset is, but they look to be very close to our stockers, i'll let y'all know as soon as i try em' out...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Mar 31, 2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

here are the tires that are going on em', Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31 205/50 ZR16 87W...

i really think they look good, hope they hook up like the reviews said they would...not the best, but better in wet conditions than some of the higher end Kumho's...according to several reviews...but at worst they should be better than the winter treads i still have on, lol!

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 1, 2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Show us a picture once you have them on your car. I know a guy selling them locally and if they look good I might consider them for winter
Old Apr 2, 2011, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Not a big Chrome fan but the rims are pretty sweet
Old Apr 2, 2011, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Myself, i'm not really a big fan of chrome, i actually wanted to repair all the rash, and paint them bronze, i've always liked the look of black on bronze with red calipers...it just looks good, it's the reason you see so many...But i was reluctant to paint them because once i prep and paint them the chrome is gone forever, so i left them alone, just sto see how it looks, and i actually like it...calipers and rotors need some work, but i can do that when i do my transmission/LSD work...

Anyways, thanks to Nick aka RalliartN, i was able to get the car to his shop, and get it on the hoist, which made the swap a hell of a lot easier than jacks and stands....so here's what happened, and here's how it looks...

off with the old

on with the new

I think Nick likes em' (i'm the younger one)

and back on the ground
Old Apr 2, 2011, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Looks good! much better than i thought they would to be honest.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 04:32 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree , it looks clean as hell bro
Old Apr 2, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I like your wheel shots... but did you photoshop the gray into my hair?

Garrett and the boys got a lot done today - took the clutch out of an old school Firebird, on the RA got DSM wheels installed & brakes bled & exhaust pipe work, and Jeep tow hooks installed.

Last edited by RalliartN; Apr 2, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliartN
... but did you photoshop the gray into my hair?
Yeah i figured it would make you look more distinguished, and wise...lol

Anyways as i said the wheels were not my cup of tea, however they did grow on me, and if it makes any difference to all the chrome haters, i have to say that these wheels and tires, according to my right bicep are SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than stock, now i wish i had weighed them, because they are WAAAY lighter, i just wish i knew by how much....the car feels more nimble, and RalliartN (nick) was right, the lighter wheels are less prone to hopping...

The tires feel very smooth, very quiet at higway speeds, cornering hard they hold on pretty good, they feel a little squishy in high speed cornering, but i was testing that at around 95km/h, they didn't let go at all...very little spin between first and second, i feel the pressure of my back in the seat more than i feel wheel spin...and that's at a 7200rpm shift, if i shift at 6500 they don't spin...next time it rains i'll let you guys know how they handle in the wet...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Apr 3, 2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

A guy down the street from me has a 2g that has been sitting for at least two or three years with the USDM version of those wheels, and I have been thinking of knocking on his door.

On the other hand, I found these yesterday. Discount Tire says these will fit the RA.
They are 16x7 5-100.
I'm a bit skeptical.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

7.5 is quite wide for our wheel wells, i'm not too sure about that one...they tell you the offset? i would think even if you spaced them so they don't rub the strut, they might rub the fenders...you might want to ask some of the guys who have aftermarket rims...what does the 100 mean? if they are 5x100 bolt pattern they won't even bolt up...

as far as the stock rims from other cars route, they are a sure fit, and if the DSM 5 spokes are as light as the JDM's i would say go for it...but part of my goals even with a turbo is to maintain an OEM look and driveability, but still be unique...
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5x100 is an incompatible bolt pattern, 5x114.3 or 5x4.5 would be correct. AFAIK.

+46 offset would be ideal, other offsets can be made to work.

Originally Posted by nashvilleRA
A guy down the street from me has a 2g that has been sitting for at least two or three years with the USDM version of those wheels, and I have been thinking of knocking on his door.

On the other hand, I found these yesterday. Discount Tire says these will fit the RA.
They are 16x7 5-100.
I'm a bit skeptical.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

This maketh me angry. Discount Tire's site says these will fit the RA, yet the other wheels they have listed all have 5-114 bolt patterns. (and the Falkens are 16x7, not 7.5)

And these are USDM 2g DSM wheels, but they're not originally chromed.

Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, those are the ones i was going to get, but i found the other ones at a shop in toronto...
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
yeah, those are the ones i was going to get, but i found the other ones at a shop in toronto...
I think I will like the look of these, but those Falken's were sexy as hell. Maybe I will offer him $300 for them, as long as they aren't bent or anything. Cranswick, do you know how wide they are?

Quick Reply: NEW RIMS...kinda