Notices

Rear inner tire wear

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear inner tire wear

I have a 04 ra with114k miles. Last June I had all for tires replaced one of which had inner tire wear on the drivers rear of the car and I also had a alignment done. Now as far as I can tell from the printout the shop gave me the rear of the car was not that far out of adjustment. Now almost a year later the drivers side rear tire is down to the belts on the inside of the tire and the passengers side rear tire is worn and cupped on the inside. The car needs a sway bar endlink replaced on the rear but I'm not sure this is the problem also been having some problems with the brakes sticking slightly after I replaced them in Nov. Is there something the mech. could have missed when doing the alignment or could this be due to the rear brakes acting screwy? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

I would have another shop check the allignment. Tire pressure will also affect how a tire wears.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:46 PM

Yea its going in tomorrow hopefully those rear tires are in def need of replacement. I have been on top of tire pressure and I really do find it odd that they wore out in less than a year especially the drivers rear which is down to the belts. It also looks as though the top of the tire is in slightly on both rear wheels. But thanks for the advice
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

wear on the centre of the tire means they were over-inflated.
what tires do you have, and how much PSI do you inflate them to?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:08 AM

They are Starfire Rs-c 2.0 205/50r16 nothing special and I ran them between 36psi to 40psi. They are rated for a max of 44psi, also the tire wear isn't in the center of the tire it is on the insides of both rear tires. I honestly do not think this was an inflation problem. Like I said before last year in June I had these tires put on and an alignment done due to the same problem inner tire wear on the rear of the car.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

have a lookie at this: http://www.mcsauto.ca/pages/tire%20wear%20abnormal.html
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
how many miles did you put on the tires before you noticed the excessive wear? And did you get them rotated after a certain number of miles?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
and what suspension or wheel mods do you have that you haven't mentioned yet?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:02 PM

The car is stock no mods and at most Ive put around 15k miles on the tires. Having them replaced in the morning and another alignment done. The mech. at the shop says he has people in there 5+ times a year doing alignments and that its probably what the problem is. Our roads here are bad but I didnt think they were that bad I see maybe doing an alignment once a year and when you get suspension work/tires done but 5+ times a year seems a bit crazy to me. I did shake down the rear of the car and couldn't find any play but who knows.. Also I've rotated the tires once maybe should have done it more but I still find it odd that its the insides and so quickly makes me wonder if something else is going on.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

if they are doing alignments 5+ times a year I'd be worried there not doing it right, I would bring it to a different shop.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:34 PM

Thats what I'm thinking or he's just telling me that to work around me blaming them for a bad alignment job. Don't get me wrong I'm trying to figure out if its a issue with my car I know there are plenty of possibilities with what could be wrong. But I seriously doubt people are getting alignment jobs done 5+ times a year also the shop is Kauffman Tire which I was assuming was a decent place who knows these days
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Inner tire wear could mean too negative camber or a suspension related issue. Usually just needs an alignment. Get it done before it gets bad, otherwise flip the tires around and wear out those sum b!tches on the other side. Good luck!

P.S. Tire pressure has nothing to do with the issue you are describing. Sounds more like a parts issue.

Last edited by personal_golf; Apr 14, 2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: lag...thanks evom
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:27 AM

Yea from looking at the car it def looks like a neg. camber thing, the real question is did the car go out of alignment in less than a year or is something wore out. And I thought about putting them on the front and the fronts on the rear lol but the one tire is showing belts which I don't trust.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 06:23 AM

Does anyone know if the alignment specs for a regular es model lancer are different than the ra? The alignment sheet I got from the shop the last time I had it done says
Mitsubishi: Lancer : 04'-06': except SportBack Wagon : with 16"wheel. Could they possibly be using the wrong specs I wonder?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Firebalz
Does anyone know if the alignment specs for a regular es model lancer are different than the ra? The alignment sheet I got from the shop the last time I had it done says
Mitsubishi: Lancer : 04'-06': except SportBack Wagon : with 16"wheel. Could they possibly be using the wrong specs I wonder?
Yes they could be, and is there any pull at all sounds like camber. Is the tire feathered or is it even on the edge?

Quick Reply: Rear inner tire wear