Notices

Wheel Spacers with Stock Rims

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Spacers with Stock Rims

Are these worth getting at all? I understand that it will put more stress on the lugs, but my car is only a daily driver, no intentions of tracking it. After lowering my car, I love the no wheel gap, but I definitely think the wheels should be more lined up with the body of the car to give it a more "flush" look.

Where can I get some spacers and wow thick should it be? 5MM or perhaps 8MM? I found some wheel spacers online and although it appears to be very legit, it is like $100 for only 2. I found some $30/pair on ebay, are those good enough?

I only want to do this as a temporary thing until I can get some wider rims, but that won't be for another few months, maybe next summer when I be making some serious dough!

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

I would just wait to pay for some new wheels unless you will have the cash. I kinda did some rough measurements and with stock wheels on tein s.techs I was going to run 10mm on front and 15mm on rear, or the other way around.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:36 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cj98
I would just wait to pay for some new wheels unless you will have the cash. I kinda did some rough measurements and with stock wheels on tein s.techs I was going to run 10mm on front and 15mm on rear, or the other way around.
this is what I have ran through my head also..... although the spacers I like are 15mm as the thinest available. I'm referring to to the ichiba ones with the studs embeded into the spacer... they are quality but also a quality price....
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

I was thinking about going the spacer route myself, but I think I'm just going to go with a new setup in the spring.

If you're not tracking the car at all the I don't foresee any type of issue. The stress it Puts on the lugs is minimal. If you go with anything bigger than a 5mm spacer you may have to look into rolling the fenders if you're lowered. I run the oem wheels and tire size for winters and if I were to throw a 5mm spacer in I'd have to worry about rubbing the fenders in the rear.

Last edited by roblaza; Sep 28, 2011 at 05:01 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
this is what I have ran through my head also..... although the spacers I like are 15mm as the thinnest available. I'm referring to to the ichiba ones with the studs embedded into the spacer... they are quality but also a quality price....
This. If your going to run spacers, anything over 5mm your going to want to run spacers that are held down by oem studs and have studs coming from the spacers.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:01 PM

I'm at work and about to leave so I can't see if any pictures were posted but I bought a pair of Ichiba 2 spacers (great product).

The rim won't ride on the bolts. They are hubcentric and will ride on the hub, which is a separate part that goes over the OEM hub, essentially taking the stress off the studs and 'virtually' eliminating any movement which can cause some problems. Be aware that I bought these for an Eclipse, but it will fit the Evo.

The tricky thing about them is that the OEM studs come through the holes in between the Ichiba spacer and won't line up (duhh) with the 5-100 holes in the rims. My brother suggested we replace and 'trim' the new OEM bolts just enough that the spacer is secured onto the hub and won't poke through. *_* just an FYI...

In short, I would wait to get the wider wheels lol.. then again, you may end up getting these anyway depending on how wide the wheels are.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:02 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thats somewhat helpful although the Ralliart has a 5x114.3 bolt pattern so it would line up, but the extra meat left from the oem studs poking through is still something to consider. We need to see how much room is left between the rim and spacer so it sits flush.... I know that sounds complicated but it does add up
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

I might just wait to buy new rims some time in the future. i just thought this thread would be interesting since I've never seen anyone do this to their RA.