Notices

Front lower control arm nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Exclamation Front lower control arm nightmare

Ok, so i bought some front lower control arm bushings...

these (whiteline, forward bushing)
Name:  041320122278.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  118.8 KB

and these (not the spark plugs, durr) (generic OE replacement, aft bushing)
Name:  032720121824.jpg
Size:  162.0 KB

So today i got around to installing them...the problem was with the whiteline bushings...once i had the lower control arm out, i was checking it over to see if the forward bushings would fit, they are the correct length and diameter, however the problem is with the inner metal sleeve...the sleeve's inside diameter looks to be about 2mm shy of the outside diameter of the bolt that's supposed to go through it...odd, as i'm fairly certain the base lancer uses the same bolt...so somewhere on earth, between 2002 and 2007, a lancer was made with a smaller bolt, or whiteline f'ed up, and packaged the wrong sleeves...who knows...anyway so here's the confirmation...

Name:  042820122628.jpg
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  042820122627.jpg
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  042820122632.jpg
Size:  76.4 KB

so i have 2 options, have the sleeves bored, or ask whiteline if they make a sleeve with that outside diameter, but a larger inside diameter...i'll call whiteline first...

the aft bushing, you need a hydraulic press and a 1-5/8" socket...it's fairly simple...

OH YES! the nightmare! i almost forgot

So the right lower control arm came out not problem...the left side? not so much...the horizontal bolt that goes through the forward bushing came out about 5mm and then just started spinning...great, it's sheared...nope! it's not sheared, the entire bolt is spinning freely, and won't tighten or loosen...WTF!?!? only one way to find out...make a hole...here's what i found:

The bolt threads into a nut, which is not welded, or part of the crossmember/subframe in any way shape or form...it is merely held from spinning freely by a flimsy sheet metal locking tab...no wonder it won't come out...

Name:  042820122640.jpg
Size:  102.5 KB

Name:  042820122641.jpg
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  042820122639.jpg
Size:  49.5 KB

After trying to wedge it with a large screwdriver, i tried welding it to the frame, no go on both attempts, which left me with one choice...Nick was right all along...cut a big *** hole and get a wrench on it...FYI it is 21mm on the inside nut and 19mm on the bolt head. I eventually made the hole a bit bigger and was able to get it off by holding the nuts with a wrench, and putting an impact on the bolt...

It wasn't fun...it pretty much killed the day, but Nick (RalliartN) bought me a beer, and his wife brought me food and coffee, so it wasn't that bad after all...here's some more pics...oh and Nick put swift springs on his car...moderate drop, not as agressive in the front as the Tein's but very clean looking...

Name:  042820122633.jpg
Size:  88.1 KB
Name:  042820122635.jpg
Size:  82.4 KB
Name:  042820122634.jpg
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  042820122644.jpg
Size:  80.0 KB
Name:  042820122645.jpg
Size:  86.0 KB

and Nick's car with the swift springs...

Name:  042820122643.jpg
Size:  72.6 KB
Name:  042820122646.jpg
Size:  77.3 KB
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
postscript: while the barmaid was tapping the draught beers and we were quietly remembering the bottom of his car catching on fire during the failed mig welding attempt to secure the hidden nut, I got the keys to Cranswick's car with new turbo - I drove around the block where the police station is so had to restrain myself, but it's sorted very nicely! Looking forward to a real rip on country backroads soon.

Now I have Greenstuff pads to bed in then 60-to-zero stopping distances to record, and Swift springs to evaluate. Was a productive modding day.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:49 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well nice attempt cranswick , it's very close. The local hardware store might even have some steel spacers that would fit. Worth a try anyway.

RalliartN the ebc greens are nice, I keep bouncing back and forth from the greens to the reds. I'm putting reds on the ra and greens on my 4g69 galant soon.

Keep up guys and keep the results coming
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Once again Cranswick makes himself a guinea pig for us and we are grateful. I'll buy you a six pack too buddy. Just let me know when you're coming to town for that tune. What do you like ?

I really wish I did live closer to you guys, that's a great workshop there.

I am starting to think that anytime you tackle suspension arms on our cars, you should just buy new bolts up front and be ready to savage the current ones.

Now on to Nick's thread ...
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that's quite the garage.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Once again Cranswick makes himself a guinea pig for us and we are grateful. I'll buy you a six pack too buddy. Just let me know when you're coming to town for that tune. What do you like ?

I really wish I did live closer to you guys, that's a great workshop there.

I am starting to think that anytime you tackle suspension arms on our cars, you should just buy new bolts up front and be ready to savage the current ones.

Now on to Nick's thread ...
Alexander Keith's pale.

yeah the shop is amazing, thank you Nick.

And it doesn't matter if you get a new bolt, because you have to cut a hole in the crossmember to remove or replace the nut, and it has no part number because it's part of the assembly

Originally Posted by Thomar
Wow that's quite the garage.
Yeah, anytime it's available, Nick usually gives me a few weeks notice, so if i have stuff to do i can wait, or i might even just buy stuff to put on the car...i don't like to pass up an opportunity to put the car on a lift...jack stands in the driveway is not a fun way to work...but that's how i do most of it...
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
Alexander Keith's pale.

yeah the shop is amazing, thank you Nick.

And it doesn't matter if you get a new bolt, because you have to cut a hole in the crossmember to remove or replace the nut, and it has no part number because it's part of the assembly

Yeah, anytime it's available, Nick usually gives me a few weeks notice, so if i have stuff to do i can wait, or i might even just buy stuff to put on the car...i don't like to pass up an opportunity to put the car on a lift...jack stands in the driveway is not a fun way to work...but that's how i do most of it...

In this one case it doesn't matter, but in general, especially on the rear it seems better to go in with a reciprocal saw than sockets and spanners. Between what you happened to you and another thread from a guy changing his rears shocks, it made me check the bolts on the back of my car yesterday. Result, left side is good, right side shock to bottom arm is well seized. I put some grease on the ones that moved and greased the sway bar bushings too. I hope it lasts till next year when I plan to change the shocks. I did not touch any of the bolts that affect alignment. At least now I know to go at it with a seek and destroy mindset with new bolts waiting to go in.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
In this one case it doesn't matter, but in general, especially on the rear it seems better to go in with a reciprocal saw than sockets and spanners. Between what you happened to you and another thread from a guy changing his rears shocks, it made me check the bolts on the back of my car yesterday. Result, left side is good, right side shock to bottom arm is well seized. I put some grease on the ones that moved and greased the sway bar bushings too. I hope it lasts till next year when I plan to change the shocks. I did not touch any of the bolts that affect alignment. At least now I know to go at it with a seek and destroy mindset with new bolts waiting to go in.
and endlinks those tend to break in half...i had to cut mine when i did my rear suspension, and my front stabilizer bar end links just sheared from the force of the impact gun...so bolts and endlinks if you don't want to be stuck with your suspension apart...remember when we went to the track last year? my rear sway bar was disconnected cause i put my Tein springs on that morning and broke the endlinks...
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

2006RA, if you had a nasty bunch of stuff to do on the car you could bring all the parts, we could go into the shop on a weekend, and you could use all the resources in there. Cranswick would go for coffees. We would do a power play to get everything done on the hoist with strong air tools and torches and stuff. Then we would discuss the day over a couple of

I know it's next year, and a long drive from Ottawa, probably not worth it to you, but think about it.
Old May 1, 2012, 02:11 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

^^^^^^

Take advantage man, I wish people were nice like that here. Well they are but when you get to their "garage" it looks like this vvvvv and you have to work in the driveway of which you could of done at your own house. Lol

Name:  3b456f27.jpg
Size:  63.5 KB
Old May 1, 2012, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

It looks like my moms place. I offered to get a dumpster in but she started crying (I think intervention is required).
Old May 1, 2012, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
^^^^^^

Take advantage man, I wish people were nice like that here. Well they are but when you get to their "garage" it looks like this vvvvv and you have to work in the driveway of which you could of done at your own house. Lol

lol, got me beat...anyone remember this thread? died quick, no one wanted to play...i think i'll make a new one with a poll, and actually have like a dust pan and broom for a prize...lol!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...e-contest.html
Old May 1, 2012, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is just as bad....Although I am able to walk from the front to the back.
Old May 1, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliartN
2006RA, if you had a nasty bunch of stuff to do on the car you could bring all the parts, we could go into the shop on a weekend, and you could use all the resources in there. Cranswick would go for coffees. We would do a power play to get everything done on the hoist with strong air tools and torches and stuff. Then we would discuss the day over a couple of

I know it's next year, and a long drive from Ottawa, probably not worth it to you, but think about it.

That's a very sweet offer RalliartN which I may just take up.

I have a few things planned for the suspension next year. As long as things work out, I am looking at changing all the arms at the back, the bushings on the front lower arms and new shocks with Swifts.

Yes, it's a long drive but in a place like that we could do all in a morning. The only issue would be getting the back end somewhat true for the 300 km drive back, but I am sure by that time I wont care about these tyres anymore, so as long as I am not opposite locking all the way to keep straight not a big deal.

It would be worth it just to hang out after anyway and to be able to tell my father that I got to use a lift .
Old May 1, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

All good, your call. btw, there is a local Midas that does wheel alignments, we could see if they are open in the afternoon and then make an appointment for you in advance.

Quick Reply: Front lower control arm nightmare