Notices

Outside Edge Tire Wear (Revisited)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Outside Edge Tire Wear (Revisited)

Pursuant to a thread from last year, since I started doing track days the outside edge of the front tires would wear quickly, so I was left with cords showing there, but the center and inside edge had good tread left. The wheels have negative camber, there's stiffer Swift springs, and stiff sidewall tires. I've come to the conclusion the wear was from excessive tire spin/slip when accelerating hard out of corners - the car kind of slides towards the outside a bit due to low friction from the spinning tires while the loaded tire edge folds enough to get angle-grinded by the pavement. You guys know it's easy and fun to get the RA to slide/rotate around and still be in control.

I installed a limited slip diff this winter. After doing another full track day yesterday the front tire outer edges were not excessively worn. In fact, the tires are scuffed flat across. So the LSD solved that weird wear problem.

I'm happy, that saves a lot of tire swapping grief and money - I'd say that alone is worth the cost and effort of installing an LSD in the RA if you like to track it a lot.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Awesome! More great news about installing an LSD! This car really should've had one from the factory... poor planning on mitsu's part for the car thats supposed to be a performance oriented model of the lancer... lol

Thanks for the update RalliartN!!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 04:33 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
this is pertinent info for lots of cars. my Evo used to push really, really bad. being front heavy to begin with, i was killing tires even with an aggressive alignment (plus i may have been a tiny bit over zealous with the gas pedal LOL). swapping the plates in my rear diff (making the LSD actually function properly) made a HUUUUUUUUGE difference.
so +1 on LSD being very, very beneficial.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank you for the feedback, gentlemen. I'm learning as I go, and your corroboration of these findings is very welcome and useful.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:00 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Another big difference was taking out some of the rake. I felt the improvement right away. If you have coilovers, I'd highly recommend it.
Either way, good to hear you're enjoying the car more.

P.S. The lsd helped with acceleration out of turns. Depending on where your car pushes (entry, mid, exit) other adjustments my be needed that will help your car drive even better.

Last edited by kaj; Jun 24, 2015 at 12:04 PM.