Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

LATEST MOTOR Trend: Ralliart 0-60 5.6s, 0.89g skidpad

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whether or not it is sophisticated does not change the fact that the power has to get dumped onto the trans in order for it to launch. Unless the computer does not engage the trans at all and then dumps it at once, or it preloads somehow, I still don't see how it cannot handle that situation. The clutch setup in there should be able to handle the load. I do not see how they can put a trans in a car that is performance based and consider it so fragile. If anything, you would believe that it would be way over engineered as they know many cars get modified. Also, other auto makers like Porsche have as much or more power running through their new PDK trans which I think is pretty similar in how it works.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by VincentX
If you put tires as wide as the Evo X on the Ra and with proper suspension mods to get the most out of the wider tires its skidpad # should match or surpass the Evo X's.

It would be much improved but still I don't see the RA reaching those kind of numbers short of using R comp tires. The RA still does not have the SAWC which allows the X to reach the amazing .99g stock.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dklau33
It would be much improved but still I don't see the RA reaching those kind of numbers short of using R comp tires. The RA still does not have the SAWC which allows the X to reach the amazing .99g stock.
Agreed. The tires and suspension will make significant gains on the skidpad but i think it will be in the range of .9 - .92 at the most. Optimistically speaking.
The AYC & SAWC is the turning point for the X. While the R/A simply has the AWC and the AWD system from the IX, a lot of potential, regardless.

And then you can still strengthen the body with strut bars, sways, towers braces, traction bars anti-roll cages, etc to reduce alot of body roll to keep the car more poised on those curves. That is what I noticed about the GTS over the IX.
It was that bad-*** chassis.

This will get those numbers up.
For me, this is probably the way I am going to go.

Once all said and done, I am curious, if i can take out the Caliber SRT4 turbo that i have and drop that into the R/A.
It's a Mitsubishi TD04HL4S-20 turbo. That might prove to be quite interesting.

hmmmm
Old Jul 27, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

And here we go again, try to convert the ralliart into an evo!!!
Old Jul 27, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

lol
What gives you such an idea? For me it's a curiosity.

I don't care for evox kits or crap like that. Just the power to justify the added weight.
And a good set of tires.
This car should hold it's own.

Last edited by chino ali; Jul 27, 2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hibby
No worries. Still very interested in this car -- I just have to make sure it's good so I can buy it with no regrets.

Not online yet.
Too bad, someone post the link as soon it is available.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dboz
Whether or not it is sophisticated does not change the fact that the power has to get dumped onto the trans in order for it to launch. Unless the computer does not engage the trans at all and then dumps it at once, or it preloads somehow, I still don't see how it cannot handle that situation. ....
Right, sophisticated would a computer-controlled clutch drop that emulates what would do with a manual. Unsophisticated would be brake-torquing like it was an AT but without the fluid-based torque-converter to absorb the force. But we don't really know this thing works. Maybe it's more like a regular AT than we think.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by desperado-c
Right, sophisticated would a computer-controlled clutch drop that emulates what would do with a manual. Unsophisticated would be brake-torquing like it was an AT but without the fluid-based torque-converter to absorb the force. But we don't really know this thing works. Maybe it's more like a regular AT than we think.
not to mention that this method of launching doesn't accurately show what a normal 0-60 would be....unless these people plan on doing this at stop lights... The SST tranny on the MR should be disengaging the clutches completely when using the launch control, similar to the GT-R. When Brake-Boosting without it, you are simply slipping those same clutches....bad mojo IMO. Hopefully someone cracks the ECU and can add the same launch control. Either way though, with the mitsu launch control or 3rd party-added, its not something you want to be doing all the time.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eg6motion
not to mention that this method of launching doesn't accurately show what a normal 0-60 would be....unless these people plan on doing this at stop lights... The SST tranny on the MR should be disengaging the clutches completely when using the launch control, similar to the GT-R. When Brake-Boosting without it, you are simply slipping those same clutches....bad mojo IMO. Hopefully someone cracks the ECU and can add the same launch control. Either way though, with the mitsu launch control or 3rd party-added, its not something you want to be doing all the time.
What do u mean?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

Just got my Motortrend today and read the article. Few interesting points in it like peak torque arrives at 3000 rpm instead of 4000 rpm like the EVO. The last line of the article is this...

"Trust me, though- it's plenty nimble and offers ride firmness you could endure a lot further than the Evo's, with its death-by-a-billion vibrations. So is this the Evo for the rest of us? For most of us, it's likely a better choice."

I'm also very interested in how they achieved .89g on the skidpad when no one else has even come close to that. The pictures show the RA in blue which I'm really digging. Hard choice for me now. Silver or blue?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

Tires, track condition, weather condition, skidpad size, testing equiptment, driver skill, ringer car, changes in car since previous tests.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 100$ GUY
What do u mean?
its a LOT of stress of the transmission to be using the launch control non-stop. That's likely why they fail to advertise it for the MR X. Even the GT-R launch control can potentially void your warranty or at the min require a dealer visit after using...granted the X launch looks much tamer than the GT-R
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

How can launch control void a warranty if they put it on the car? That makes no sense for a company to equip a car with a feature that if used, could void the warranty. If that is the case then just don't have such a feature. It is sad to think that a performance car has a transmission that is not up to the rigors demanded by the use of the car. Can these new transmissions really be that weak and if so why go with them? Surely they have tested them completely and know whether or not they will hold up. If you are building a car to compete, go fast, corner and set records at the Nurburgring then why give it an achilles heel?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dboz
How can launch control void a warranty if they put it on the car? That makes no sense for a company to equip a car with a feature that if used, could void the warranty. If that is the case then just don't have such a feature. It is sad to think that a performance car has a transmission that is not up to the rigors demanded by the use of the car. Can these new transmissions really be that weak and if so why go with them? Surely they have tested them completely and know whether or not they will hold up. If you are building a car to compete, go fast, corner and set records at the Nurburgring then why give it an achilles heel?
Even the std manual transmissions suffer. People blow syncros, driveshafts, seals, clutches and bearings from repeated abuse via launching or racing... I would not blame that on the car manufacturer. Over-revving an engine can cause it to fail, but because its CAPABLE of doing it doesn't mean its covered under warranty.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

I was not talking about racing. If there is a specific launch mode that would tend to tell the owner that the parts are up to the task. Otherwise why have it. Abuse with a manual is a totally different issue.

Quick Reply: LATEST MOTOR Trend: Ralliart 0-60 5.6s, 0.89g skidpad