Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

LATEST MOTOR Trend: Ralliart 0-60 5.6s, 0.89g skidpad

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Why have a car that can go 200+ MPH, it's to do with a sales pitch. 90% of people won't use launch control often if at all so it's not an issue. It makes a great line in a catalogue.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its not sales pitch if a car can go 200+. That is fact. And if the guy who buys it wants to track it (maybe he owns a track), he knows the parts are up to the task. Whether or not the owner does it is up to him. Point is still the same. The car is up to the task should the situation arise. It is sales pitch if you say a car has a launch control but say "never use it" or it will break your car or void you warranty.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 03:23 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Why have a car that can go 200+ MPH, it's to do with a sales pitch. 90% of people won't use launch control often if at all so it's not an issue. It makes a great line in a catalogue.
Why have cars like the Evo, STI, WRX, and the Ra? 90% of people don't need the performance that these cars have. Most people will not use the maximum performance of these cars. Actually I believe that percentage is higher.

Last edited by VincentX; Jul 29, 2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 03:35 PM
Account Disabled

To take my point even further most people never use the maximum performance of any car.

Last edited by VincentX; Jul 29, 2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dboz
Its not sales pitch if a car can go 200+. That is fact. And if the guy who buys it wants to track it (maybe he owns a track), he knows the parts are up to the task. Whether or not the owner does it is up to him. Point is still the same. The car is up to the task should the situation arise. It is sales pitch if you say a car has a launch control but say "never use it" or it will break your car or void you warranty.
It's a sales pitch. There's no reason to go 200 MPH nor are there many places where that is possible. Plenty of cars come with adjustable suspension but if you adjust it, it voids the suspension warranty. Yes this sounds strange but it's to protect the manufacturer from monkeys who mess up their car and expect someone else to pick up the tab.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VincentX
Why have cars like the Evo, STI, WRX, and the Ra? 90% of people don't need the performance that these cars have. Most people will not use the maximum performance of these cars. Actually I believe that percentage is higher.
Because they want it. I only know of a few people that actually drive their cars as they were designed to be driven.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 04:04 PM
Account Disabled

Because they want it. I only know of a few people that actually drive their cars as they were designed to be driven.
Then why even bring up the 90% percent argument? That argument is irrelevant when you are talking to people that care about performance even though they are not going use it.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I do not know about the SST, but I know that Mitsubishi actually recommended brake torquing to launch the VIII and IX when they gave it to magazines. Besides, you can not really take what magazines do as a guide to what you should do. The magazine has the car for a couple days then they ship it back. They don't care if they break it.

I know that other brands besides Nissan provide launch control but do not want you to use it. For instance, when my brother bought his M5, they told him that if he used the launch control more than once every 1/2 hour it would void the warranty. How would they even know? Does the computer record it? Who knows, but they specifically told him not to use it very often.

A little more generally, according to the article I read somewhere, with the new Viper ACR or whatever it is called, it has an adjustable suspension, but the adjusters have stickers over them that you have to tear to adjust it. If you tear the stickers, you void your warranty.

Also, this is Mitsubishi, and they do not exactly have a reputation for strong 6 speeds (ie MR)

But, since none of us has actually driven it yet, we are going to have to wait until someone blows one up to know what the limits of the tranny really are.

EDIT bah Amby beat me to it with the suspension thing
Old Jul 29, 2008, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

So why don't they just put tape over the S Sport button, then they will know it you used it. Also, why buy any car that is faster than 70 miles per hour. That way you should not have to spend more than 10-12 grand on any new car. The whole reason to even consider the RA is for a fun and spirited daily driver. Not cutting edge race like the EVO that will be 90% waste on the street. Where will you ever do a 4 wheel burnout with power slide through the corner other than a track?
Old Jul 29, 2008, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VincentX
Then why even bring up the 90% percent argument? That argument is irrelevant when you are talking to people that care about performance even though they are not going use it.
the argument is relevant as it addresses why Mitsubishi would include launch control even if they don't want you using it. It's a sales pitch much like a 200 MPH top speed or flat-foot shifting. To put this into perspective, how many Viper owners actually race their cars? How many boast about having 600 HP? How many GTR owners are going to race? How many tell everyone they can about how fast it was around the Ring? A lot of times, things like HP numbers, 1/4 times, top speeds, etc. are just used as bar-room conversation, they have no real world meaning.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dboz
So why don't they just put tape over the S Sport button, then they will know it you used it. Also, why buy any car that is faster than 70 miles per hour. That way you should not have to spend more than 10-12 grand on any new car. The whole reason to even consider the RA is for a fun and spirited daily driver. Not cutting edge race like the EVO that will be 90% waste on the street. Where will you ever do a 4 wheel burnout with power slide through the corner other than a track?
You've essentially figured it out. Would Mitsubishi be happy if you used S Sport mode everyday and launched it at every light? No, they'd probably tell you to go to hell and pay for any repairs yourself. Do they want you to know it exists? Of course. Do you think Bugatti wants every Veyron owner to go 200 MPH? No but they like every Bugatti owner to brag about it.
If you're doing a 4 wheel burnout at the track, you're doing it wrong.
The fact is manufacturers have to straddle the line between bringing performance-minded enthusiasts into the show room and letting them bag the **** out of their cars without any repercussions.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 06:05 PM
Account Disabled

the argument is relevant as it addresses why Mitsubishi would include launch control even if they don't want you using it. It's a sales pitch much like a 200 MPH top speed or flat-foot shifting. To put this into perspective, how many Viper owners actually race their cars? How many boast about having 600 HP? How many GTR owners are going to race? How many tell everyone they can about how fast it was around the Ring? A lot of times, things like HP numbers, 1/4 times, top speeds, etc. are just used as bar-room conversation, they have no real world meaning.
I understand what you mean but why even bring up that point? I know that high performance numbers boost sales. But high performance numbers are also a result of a high performance car and those numbers just so happen to help it sell more.

Nobody cares if their fast as hell car is not used to their full potential all the time. Even all out race cars are not used to their full potential all the time. Most of the time they are just sitting inside a garage not being used until the next race. A daily driver sees more use.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

It's simply an explanation as to why the evo has launch control even if they don't want you to use it, nothing more.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 07:10 PM
Account Disabled

I see. I did not read the convo between you and the other guy. I'm lazy today.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eg6motion
its a LOT of stress of the transmission to be using the launch control non-stop. That's likely why they fail to advertise it for the MR X. Even the GT-R launch control can potentially void your warranty or at the min require a dealer visit after using...granted the X launch looks much tamer than the GT-R
Yep, but hard launches gotta be performed to achieve the best 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers.
So, even an MS3, WRX, all them when reviewed are launched hard!
For everyday use its different, but to really compare them in a review, gotta do things right and maximize the driver´s skills to achieve the best numbers.

Quick Reply: LATEST MOTOR Trend: Ralliart 0-60 5.6s, 0.89g skidpad