Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

LATEST MOTOR Trend: Ralliart 0-60 5.6s, 0.89g skidpad

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2008, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@least expensive to most of us. If I had the money for the EVO i'd have it, but for what I am looking to do is a little more long term. I'll start with the best for the more important stuff, but I figure a set of HKS or TEIN springs and high end KYB gas shocks(Not GR2 Trash) or Tokico's would be fine untill I build the motor up to need more then that. I just dont want to have to drop 4k into the suspension off the bat to get better handling and a lower profile for the car. You mention Paired units. What company does Pairs the Struts And Springs. That would be great to get it in one Kit instead of from seperate companies.

Last edited by MetalMagic666; Sep 2, 2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i would skipp the Tein springs.
The Tanabe , Swift , Eibach are much better ones.
The Bilstein or Koni shocks are also great !
Old Sep 2, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
A good set of springs matched with a good quality strut can easily hang with a coilover setup.

simply not true. The good coilovers will always perform better. It is just a simple fact.

The good match up springs with strut can be a good set up, but will never be as a good coilovers, period.

"all of the road grime has clogged up the threading making them unadjustable."

Once you set it why you want to change it? We are not a pro racers, beside it is a big stretch to unable to adjust it...
With this idea you will never took off anything from your car after a year or so, Since the tread will be dirty and clogged up etc,

"A few people up here run coilovers year round and *surprise surprise* the coilovers are effectively useless, all of the road grime has clogged up the threading making them unadjustable."

I dont know what they doing up there or what coilovers they are using, But this is the first time i ever heard anything like that. And the country i came from is not california either. We raced a lot there too.

Coilovers effectively useless... probably some huge install or quality problem there.

i can show you pictures when you ask a next couple years how these KW will looks like ...
Why would a coilover be superior to a good strut and spring setup? There is no logical reason to think this. A coilover is simply an adjustable strut with a matched spring. Prodrive released a fixed perch strut and spring kit (I believe it was called the RB320 kit) and *gasp* it's still one of the most sought out suspension systems because it works so well. Coilovers are great if you need maximum adjustability all the time (ie. you're racing) but for the average Joe, they're a waste of time. Most people set em and forget em, which makes them useless (why have adjustable struts if you're not going to adjust them?). Moreover, it takes a lot of tuning to get the most out of your coilovers, again, something most people don't do because they A. don't know how, B. can't afford to or C. don't care about performance and just want the look and feel. If you live in a harsh environment (snowy, icey, etc), coilovers can get torn apart pretty quickly.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

they are great coilovers. But i do heard some issues with customer service...
So i did stay away , because of that.

But if you dont have a problem, they are awesome coil overs.
I've had a few people tell me to stay away from them since they've had a set fall apart.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow great numbers hope is true. Go Mitsubishi
Old Sep 2, 2008, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Why would a coilover be superior to a good strut and spring setup? There is no logical reason to think this. A coilover is simply an adjustable strut with a matched spring. Prodrive released a fixed perch strut and spring kit (I believe it was called the RB320 kit) and *gasp* it's still one of the most sought out suspension systems because it works so well. Coilovers are great if you need maximum adjustability all the time (ie. you're racing) but for the average Joe, they're a waste of time. Most people set em and forget em, which makes them useless (why have adjustable struts if you're not going to adjust them?). Moreover, it takes a lot of tuning to get the most out of your coilovers, again, something most people don't do because they A. don't know how, B. can't afford to or C. don't care about performance and just want the look and feel. If you live in a harsh environment (snowy, icey, etc), coilovers can get torn apart pretty quickly.
if you believe that is fine.

Coilovers are designed together with the springs , shocks etc. if its help to get my point. On the other hand you will buy the parts and put them together.
My experience is the coilovers are greatly better then "home made" coilovers.
The traveling , rebound etc. is there with the coil overs.
Not so much with the combo. But anyway. this is not a subject and i dont want to disrupt .

We can agree on this :
The good set it up combo- is better then a garbage coil overs.
The good set it up combo as just as good then an average coilovers /minus adjust ability./

The good set it up combo is falls behind a good coilovers.
and fast fades away, from the higher end ones.

All the situation we assume the wheel alignment is done and the set up.
And the combo is cheaper then coilovers.
But when they are in hard use, most of them get over heated fast and loose handling fast.

people buying stuff for the cars, they dont know how to set it up or really works, but they know how to use.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Sep 2, 2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

I've had a few people tell me to stay away from them since they've had a set fall apart.
that's sucks. i hear something simular. But only one case and the bad customer service. Other wise i never heard complains and i drove couple of laps with JIC. they where really good.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

if you believe that is fine.

Coilovers are designed together with the springs , shocks etc. if its help to get my point. On the other hand you will buy the parts and put them together.
My experience is the coilovers are greatly better then "home made" coilovers.
The traveling , rebound etc. is there with the coil overs.
Not so much with the combo. But anyway. this is not a subject and i dont want to disrupt .

We can agree on this :
The good set it up combo- is better then a garbage coil overs.
The good set it up combo as just as good then an average coilovers /minus adjust ability./

The good set it up combo is falls behind a good coilovers.
and fast fades away, from the higher end ones.

All the situation we assume the wheel alignment is done and the set up.
And the combo is cheaper then coilovers.
But when they are in hard use, most of them get over heated fast and loose handling fast.
True but what I'm talking about is matching the springs to the valving characteristics of the strut (not doing it half-assed). The prodrive setup was a fixed strut with a matched spring, it was essentially a coilover unit without the height adjustability.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

True but what I'm talking about is matching the springs to the valving characteristics of the strut (not doing it half-assed). The prodrive setup was a fixed strut with a matched spring, it was essentially a coilover unit without the height adjustability.
oh , that works. How much they want for it?
Old Sep 2, 2008, 02:21 PM

So The ProDrive company is one of the companies that Match the spring and strut as a set? Are there other companies that do this as well? Also what do you think the chances they will do a setup for the RalliArt?
Old Sep 2, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Prodrive only makes parts for Subarus as far as I know. Ohlin makes great struts as well, as does Bilstein. As far as springs go, it's a matter of seeing what people are running and how the struts work with them (ie. overdampered, underdampered, etc).
Old Sep 2, 2008, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

oh , that works. How much they want for it?
About 2k$ I believe.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 02:41 PM

Prodrive only makes parts for Subarus as far as I know. Ohlin makes great struts as well, as does Bilstein. As far as springs go, it's a matter of seeing what people are running and how the struts work with them (ie. overdampered, underdampered, etc).
Damn Damn! A matched set for the Subie Dude's and not for us . Not Fair. I wonder if anyone else out there makes matched sets? Maybe I can ***** enough to make them do a setup for the RalliArt? 2k Isn't bad for a good matching set. It might still be the way to go for my DD vs the coilovers. I doubt I would adjust it more then once a year anyway. So the adjustability is not a factor for me, until the power of the car outways the ability of the suspension. I figured a good Strut Spring Combo would last till about 400 WHP with the right swaybars and such. I don't really need to break more then 450 HP any ways. But you never know, I get addicted to things easily. But at that point I might as well go EVO unless I get the Hatch.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

most of the car know more then they owners with out power mods. Dont get me wrong, but many times you can see in the real world, many people out run guys on road course and autox with factory cars vs hooked up ones.
Most of the time because the driver.
My suggestion get a couple race event then decide what you want.
$2K you can get good coilovers too. /if the pricong will be around the Evo one's/
You dont need the high end ones.
But certainly you will need to adjust to the track and the road. Good alignmet shops can do it fast.
Or even for winter or summer. /snow etc you need a higher car, and the winter tires are tend to be taller /

i'm sure the RA will handle good . So with good tires little power mod you can hit the track and enjoy it !
Old Sep 2, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MetalMagic666
Damn Damn! A matched set for the Subie Dude's and not for us . Not Fair. I wonder if anyone else out there makes matched sets? Maybe I can ***** enough to make them do a setup for the RalliArt? 2k Isn't bad for a good matching set. It might still be the way to go for my DD vs the coilovers. I doubt I would adjust it more then once a year anyway. So the adjustability is not a factor for me, until the power of the car outways the ability of the suspension. I figured a good Strut Spring Combo would last till about 400 WHP with the right swaybars and such. I don't really need to break more then 450 HP any ways. But you never know, I get addicted to things easily. But at that point I might as well go EVO unless I get the Hatch.
What suspension you need has absolutely nothing to do with the power of the car.

Quick Reply: LATEST MOTOR Trend: Ralliart 0-60 5.6s, 0.89g skidpad