Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Road and Track: RA, WRX, MS3, and Cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by RS-0
The MR has the Launch control programming built in. You turn off traction control->rev it to X rpms while on brake->let off brake->feather throttle.

The RA was launched the traditional torque brake way. The weaker the brakes, the less you could rev...
They didn't use launch control in the test (at least I hope to God they didn't otherwise the launch control system sucks).
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
They come with larger turbos as well. You tune a turbocharger by tuning the wastegate cycles. As another point, the 2006-2007 WRX and STIs could use the same exhaust systems, downpipe and all. They had different turbos however (TD04 in the WRX vs a VF39/43 in the STI). Just because the exhaust stayed the same doesn't mean the turbo is even close in size.
Why not just use the the same large downpipe for all models if it doesn't make a difference to reduce inventory and costs? Because it does matter.

Also you cannot tune out boost creep. You can reduce it but you can't eliminate it and when you have boost creep you don't have proper boost control.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They didn't use launch control in the test (at least I hope to God they didn't otherwise the launch control system sucks).
It does appear they chose not to use the launch control, and I don't think he even power-braked it.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
Why not just use the the same large downpipe for all models if it doesn't make a difference to reduce inventory and costs? Because it does matter.

Also you cannot tune out boost creep. You can reduce it but you can't eliminate it and when you have boost creep you don't have proper boost control.
Because a large downpipe isn't needed for all models. There are also fitment issues, the new WRX has more in common with the LGT than the STI (you cannot bolt the STI turbo to the WRX anymore). Moreover, I don't see how that is relevant anyways since the downpipes on the WRX and STI aren't exactly massive, there is a reason why people go aftermarket.
You can't tune out boost creep? Really? Wow I guess all those people over at NASIOC are wrong and the local tuner, who regularly solves boost creep issues is wrong. You can solve boost creep by changing the wastegate cycles.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Does anyone actually read around here?? A couple pages back, someone mentions the MS3 having better handling numbers due to better tires - unless R&T misprinted, it shows the MS3 and RA as having the same exact tires! As I mentioned in my post. As for the bickering about how hard they drove the cars to get their times, read the damn article - "The easiest acceleration runs were in the Ralliart, power-braking BRIEFLY and then letting it fly...." vs. "a brutal but necessary redline launch in the WRX gets it out ahead early". So obviously, the WRX was launched a lot harder to get its numbers.

As far as acceleration tests, who cares what other magazine times are for the RA, unless they tested against these other cars also. Meaning, this article is good because you get a test of these 4 cars by the same people, same track, same conditions, etc., so the results are comparable. Comparing results from different magazines is silly because there are so many variables to consider. Granted, the results should be somewhat close, I don't know how Edmunds ended up with a 6.6 0-60 for the RA, with every other test being in the 5.4 to 5.6 range.

Wow, three posts in the time it took me to type this up -lol. I gotta say, I know I'm a newbie around here and not trying to start crap but, ambystom1, why are you a moderator on an Evo site? You are obviously biased toward Subaru - and drive a WRX to boot. Just curious.

Last edited by jwoods986; Sep 26, 2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jwoods986
Does anyone actually read around here?? A couple pages back, someone mentions the MS3 having better handling numbers due to better tires - unless R&T misprinted, it shows the MS3 and RA as having the same exact tires! As I mentioned in my post. As for the bickering about how hard they drove the cars to get their times, read the damn article - "The easiest acceleration runs were in the Ralliart, power-braking BRIEFLY and then letting it fly...." vs. "a brutal but necessary redline launch in the WRX gets it out ahead early". So obviously, the WRX was launched a lot harder to get its numbers.

As far as acceleration tests, who cares what other magazine times are for the RA, unless they tested against these other cars also. Meaning, this article is good because you get a test of these 4 cars by the same people, same track, same conditions, etc., so the results are comparable. Comparing results from different magazines is silly because there are so many variables to consider. Granted, the results should be somewhat close, I don't know how Edmunds ended up with a 6.6 0-60 for the RA, with every other test being in the 5.4 to 5.6 range.

Wow, three posts in the time it took me to type this up -lol. I gotta say, I know I'm a newbie around here and not trying to start crap but, ambystom1, why are you a moderator on an Evo site? You are obviously biased toward Subaru - and drive a WRX to boot. Just curious.
Just in reference to the tire thing, I believe this is a misprint, the size is the same, but every magazine I've seen is quoted as saying "Yokohama Advan A10s" are the stock Ralliart tires that blow.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mors
Just in reference to the tire thing, I believe this is a misprint, the size is the same, but every magazine I've seen is quoted as saying "Yokohama Advan A10s" are the stock Ralliart tires that blow.
Correct.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mors
I thought all the early drives of the RA had A10s listed as the tires, so it must be a misprint. I was hoping that maybe Mitsu had changed them for the production cars after all the bad remarks about the A10s
Old Sep 26, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

I thought all the early drives of the RA had A10s listed as the tires, so it must be a misprint. I was hoping that maybe Mitsu had changed them for the production cars after all the bad remarks about the A10s
Well, 0.84g is higher than the early test numbers a lot of mags showed. I still think there isn't much wrong with the Ralliart that a wheel/tire package and maybe some suspension gear can't fix.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hibby
Well, 0.84g is higher than the early test numbers a lot of mags showed. I still think there isn't much wrong with the Ralliart that a wheel/tire package and maybe some suspension gear can't fix.
Rims, springs, and a few braces and it'll handle like a champ
Old Sep 26, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

All four cars will have been launched just as hard from the car's perspective. Powerbraking a 10000$ TC transmission isn't a very good idea.
I'm a moderator because I used to own a lancer, god forbid I decide that 120 HP isn't cutting it and the then Ralliart was too anemic to be much of an upgrade. Moreover, fanboys don't make good moderators, even on NASIOC, most of the moderators drive cars other than Subarus. The same is true on here. I have nothing against Mitsubishi, I'm strongly considering an Evo in my future, I just can't stand people who act like horses with blinds, they seem to be only able to see in one direction. The Ralliart is a fine car, if you like it, buy it. There's no need to make use useless excuses when the facts say otherwise. The Ralliart is not the fastest of the four, deal with it. It doesn't handle the best, deal with it. It's not the cheapest, deal with it. I feel sorry for people who need to rationalize what car they want to drive.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TruboPower
Rims, springs, and a few braces and it'll handle like a champ
What the Ralliart needs is a diet.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Things are bolted in, I bet I could shave it to 3300 pretty easy.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

What the Ralliart needs is a diet.
Swap in those aftermaket bumper braces floating around for the EVO and that's -60 lbs right there. Subtract another 20 lbs from the stock exhaust and you're off to a good start. Although we're talking like $1500 right there
Old Sep 26, 2008, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Don't tempt me. I'm not that fond of trunk carpet and spare tires anyway.

Quick Reply: Road and Track: RA, WRX, MS3, and Cobalt SS