Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Road and Track: RA, WRX, MS3, and Cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2008, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyD
You do realize that weight is an advantage in snow and ice?

By what fundamental principle of physics? Sorry... that is a BS statment.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrPhyzx

By what fundamental principle of physics? Sorry... that is a BS statment.
Traction. You know the reason that pickup truck owners toss bags of sand in the rear in the winter. Weight keeps the vehicle in line and planted while maneuvering. Weight only becomes an issue at high velocities which nobody in their right minds drive at in snow and ice. Ever drive on the highway during a major snow storm where the ditches are riddled with vehicles yet semi-trucks just keep on moving?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Yes, traction in getting off the line, not in turning or braking. Basic physic dictates that the larger vehicle will have more momentum and will thus need more force to slow down or change direction.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
Traction. You know the reason that pickup truck owners toss bags of sand in the rear in the winter. Weight keeps the vehicle in line and planted while maneuvering. Weight only becomes an issue at high velocities which nobody in their right minds drive at in snow and ice. Ever drive on the highway during a major snow storm where the ditches are riddled with vehicles yet semi-trucks just keep on moving?
TRUE BUT ONCE YOU REACH A CERTAIN VELOCITY YOU NEED MORE WEIGHT!!!
Old Sep 30, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Yes, traction in getting off the line, not in turning or braking. Basic physic dictates that the larger vehicle will have more momentum and will thus need more force to slow down or change direction.
True and thats when you break out the tirs with retractable claws for super grip....
Old Sep 30, 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly. It's the direction changes that you are trying to avoid in poor winter conditions going around slippery corners or fishtailing. The goal is to drive straight and only change direction when you turn the steering wheel on ice. Much easier to achieve with more mass.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

What about braking? There is no reasonable way to drive around town without taking corners. Rally cars are light for a reason.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

What about braking? There is no reasonable way to drive around town without taking corners. Rally cars are light for a reason.
I'm gonna go ahead and agree with you on this one.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

I got my issue of R&T today. There are some things in the mag that are not on the internet posting. First off, 2 editors picked the SS, two picked the WRX. Now, as some might have thought it appeared it was in for the fix for the CHEVY. After looking at the numbers there is some definite fudging going on.

For instance. In MPG, they give the max score to the SS. In the test data the WRX was best by 10%. Then the SS and MS3 were tied followed by the RA way behind. In the test score tally, the SS got 20 points out of 20. The rest were tied at 16. This is a large swing for no reason. The WRX should have gotten 20 followed be the SS and MS3 with something like 16 and then the RA with 13 or so.

Braking. While the SS stops from 60 in 3 less feet than the WRX they give the SS a 20 and the WRX a 16.4. Meaning it was almost 20% less effective. Just not the case. This created a 3.5 point swing in the total.

Also, they gave the handling to the SS by 1.5 points over the WRX. The WRX was FASTER on the autocourse. Again, fudging the score. The SS should have trailed the WRX by that amount.

Just in those three biased mistakes, the WRX would have won easily over the SS.

Also of note, on exterior styling, they actually have the WRX ahead of the RA a few tenths.

Skidpad, brakes and MPG killed the RA. They also did not feel the car was exciting and did not like the engine. It was the least powerful of the group. The steering and brakes also hurt it. So overall I do not think the RA was as far out of pace as the test showed. There were some subjective tests that really brought it down.

Not that any of this really matters, but after looking at the article in depth, I do not feel the Cobalt SS is the winner. I think it was fudged for an American win over the imports.

By their own numbers, the WRX was the best of the test. And by a fair amount.

Last edited by dboz; Oct 8, 2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by dboz
I got my issue of R&T today. There are some things in the mag that are not on the internet posting. First off, 2 editors picked the SS, two picked the WRX. Now, as some might have thought it appeared it was in for the fix for the CHEVY. After looking at the numbers there is some definite fudging going on.

For instance. In MPG, they give the max score to the SS. In the test data the WRX was best by 10%. Then the SS and MS3 were tied followed by the RA way behind. In the test score tally, the SS got 20 points out of 20. The rest were tied at 16. This is a large swing for no reason. The WRX should have gotten 20 followed be the SS and MS3 with something like 16 and then the RA with 13 or so.

Braking. While the SS stops from 60 in 3 less feet than the WRX they give the SS a 20 and the WRX a 16.4. Meaning it was almost 20% less effective. Just not the case. This created a 3.5 point swing in the total.

Also, they gave the handling to the SS by 1.5 points over the WRX. The WRX was FASTER on the autocourse. Again, fudging the score. The SS should have trailed the WRX by that amount.

Just in those three biased mistakes, the WRX would have won easily over the SS.

Also of note, on exterior styling, they actually have the WRX ahead of the RA a few tenths.

Skidpad, brakes and MPG killed the RA. They also did not feel the car was exciting and did not like the engine. It was the least powerful of the group. The steering and brakes also hurt it. So overall I do not think the RA was as far out of pace as the test showed. There were some subjective tests that really brought it down.

Not that any of this really matters, but after looking at the article in depth, I do not feel the Cobalt SS is the winner. I think it was fudged for an American win over the imports.

By their own numbers, the WRX was the best of the test. And by a fair amount.
This shows that don't judge a car by the review. Drive it yourself and be your own judge
Old Oct 9, 2008, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

People... People...

go and test drive the darn cars and then decide upon your personal preference. Do not let a damn Online Magazine that gets under-the-table checks from GM tell you what you should buy.

This is the most ridicule (no pun intended) way for people to discuss about which car should you choose out the bunch. Go and Test Drive it, gosh!

Overall, the Ralliart looks the best of the bunch, and it's got potential; and you also have to remember Subaru revamped their WRX once their noticed what Mitsu had in store with the '09 Ralliart; The Ralliart has been on hold for quite a while, which makes it a competitor to the '08 WRX, not the '09... and in that case, Ralliart hands down. You know it.

Edit:

Look at the numbers, each of these cars have around 30 horses over the Ralliart...
The answer is obvious.

Plus, yes the Ralliart is $3,000 too expensive.

Last edited by jazket; Oct 9, 2008 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Clarifying power on each machine...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

The Ralliart is pretty comparable in torque numbers though and we all know that torque wins races, not HP.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
anyway, this tests makes me regret to by a X. If i where smarter...
The SS is faster then a X MR according those tests , so the WRX too since its faster then a SS...
So my GSR is slower the a X MR. makes me wonder what a hell i was thinking to get that damn slow X GSR...
If everything would be the way the american test stating, then my car would be the ultimate looser.

But something makes me wonder how the STI is that much slower then a WRX? Since its even slower then a GSR. never mind the X MR...
OR do i miss something?

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 9, 2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 01:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I couldn't wait any longer to get ripped by my local mitsu dealer. I got a killer trade on an MS3 with my GTS. Looks like I'm going to the dark side.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
anyway, this tests makes me regret to by a X. If i where smarter...
The SS is faster then a X MR according those tests , so the WRX too since its faster then a SS...
So my GSR is slower the a X MR. makes me wonder what a hell i was thinking to get that damn slow X GSR...
If everything would be the way the american test stating, then my car would be the ultimate looser.

But something makes me wonder how the STI is that much slower then a WRX? Since its even slower then a GSR. never mind the X MR...
OR do i miss something?
I think on a track the STI and Evos would still walk away from the WRX.

Quick Reply: Road and Track: RA, WRX, MS3, and Cobalt SS