Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Road and Track: RA, WRX, MS3, and Cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
That's a BS argument and you know it, you might as well argue that all cars should be run on the same tires, with the same engine output using the same transmission just so everything is completely equal. The fact is Mitsubishi underestimated its competitors and made a car that is vastly overweight.
I dont even think they cared to estimate them at all...... Mitsu motors america need to management ASAP!!!!!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mors
That's not the argument I'm making. My point is, the Ralliart did pretty damn well considering it's weight and power in comparison to the other 3. I wouldn't have expected the car to put up the numbers it did.

I think the funniest part of this forum is that if you read the general Ralliart threads in the other EVO sections, the majority of comments from EVO owners are positive and looking forward to the RA release. Come to the Ralliart forum, and it's bunch of MS3 and WRX owners hating.
OK so it did ok considering its handicaps that should not be there at all and at that price need to be removed...
Old Sep 25, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
The weight is an EVO issue as well and I don't think Mitsubishi underrated their competitors. They didn't want the Ralliart in a dead heat with the EVO.
Then they should have given the EVO 45 more hp... simple.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mors
Also a valid point, the WRX has been a work in progress for years now. Subaru has been very good about responding to issues from their community, the question is whether or not Mitsubishi will pay any attention in the future. But I also think they've positioned the Ralliart right where they wanted it, like I've said before, EVO sales aren't great, a faster better handling Ralliart wouldn't help that situation.
EVO sales are bad for 2 main reasons

1. Not enough power
2.. Too expensive.

And the ralliart is following the same pattern.. Its very sad that mitsu can see this simple issue and correct it..
Old Sep 25, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
So where are they gonna go selling a slow car with poor performance at too high a price?
Let me revisit this for a moment...

You mean like your 323i was when it was a new car? $26,400 base MSRP in 1999 (since that appears to be an E46 in your picture) for 170hp? That's no bargain. With inflation rates, you're looking at over $30,000 of today's money for a car that does 0-60 in 7.2 seconds. Meh.

I realize you probably didn't buy it new, and yes, it's a Bimmer (not that the E46 was hugely luxurious), but I'm trying to make a point here.

Last edited by hibby; Sep 25, 2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

What's up peoples?

I personally thought that Subaru's 09 WRX was going to crush the 09 R/A, anyway. So i didn't really have high expectations on the review where it was Mitsu vs Subaru.
Still like the R/A. Subaru looks better now with the tune. The hatch is aight & the sedan is cool. But it's just settle. Interior of the 2 is kinda matched, IMO.
Both cars have one gain and one loss over the other.
But I still think the R/A is more pleasing to the eye.
The SS C, to me, looks still old school bucket.
Just another SRT in this decade.
TC system vs manual in a manual tranny world in this site?
Cmon.
TC system has sparked my interest.
MS3? It's played out.
Just my opinion until i actually drive the R/A.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by hibby
Let me revisit this for a moment...

You mean like your 323i was when it was a new car? $26,400 base MSRP in 1999 (since that appears to be an E46 in your picture) for 170hp? That's no bargain. With inflation rates, you're looking at over $30,000 of today's money for a car that does 0-60 in 7.2 seconds. Meh.

I realize you probably didn't buy it new, and yes, it's a Bimmer (not that the E46 was hugely luxurious), but I'm trying to make a point here.
What his car is capable of is irrelevant. Moreover, his car is close to a decade old, you can't compare cars from 1999 to cars today, technology has taken huge leaps forward in that time.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

What his car is capable of is irrelevant. Moreover, his car is close to a decade old, you can't compare cars from 1999 to cars today, technology has taken huge leaps forward in that time.
But...but...I like countering irrational comments with more of the same...
Old Sep 25, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Regardless of all performance numbers, I still say the breaking point is the HUGE decrease in MPG compared to the others. It is not even close. As far as car weight being a hinderance, where is it hiding? I mean the RA gets an aluminum hood. Has AWD same as Subie. I expect the other two to be a little faster straight line just due to less driveline loss in general. I realize that these cars were being driven hard for the testing but a 22 MPG on hard testing is really eye opening. I don't look at that as bias. The other numbers don't really matter as I do not routinely race driving to work or going grocery shopping.

I personally am not looking for the fastest car. I have cars that are faster than the EVO already. I want fun daily performance without sacrificing huge money. I live in northern Ohio so the AWD is something I prefer. I have driven 4WD trucks for 15 years.

The MPG is now a real issue. I have talked with 08 WRX guys who get 30 MPG on the highway. No way the Mitsu is going to even sniff that. The rest of the bad numbers are just the kicker. Like I said the new Mazda 6 will beat the RA in every performance category. Tires or not, that sucks. Where is the AWD system hiding? I mean the Mazda is a family sedan, has more room, I am sure it is quieter and probably costs less AND is FWD and gets better fuel economy!! It Mazda may not look the part but for the cash, the RA is looking like a tough sell.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hibby
But...but...I like countering irrational comments with more of the same...
Lol fair enough.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't like the sedan, however, I am impressed with the Cobalt ss coupe. For the amount of power it makes, it's handling performance, all in relation with the gas mileage, it is a winner to me...

I haven't seen anything else offer as much for the price... I was hoping the ralliart would come out on top but it needs some work... Maybe next year...
Old Sep 25, 2008, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

LOL my '00 2.5 RS was almost $23K, and it was slow as hell...
Old Sep 25, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
EVO sales are bad for 2 main reasons

1. Not enough power
2.. Too expensive.

And the ralliart is following the same pattern.. Its very sad that mitsu can see this simple issue and correct it..
i dont know about the Ra yet, but the Evo is about possibilities and not from the shelf performance. And who know a little better they know that.

The sales are actually not bad at all. compere other performance cars.

Just to understand what i'm saying is, for those who dont know:

Just with the reflash , bone stock evo X /Ivey tune/ ,makes 1.7 sec and 13.5 mph faster 1/4 mile run.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...test_data.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=371335

the RA will have a very close engine set up to the X. So i do not think the power is an issue here

Last edited by Robevo RS; Sep 25, 2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Except that the Ralliart doesn't have the same turbo as the Evo which will hold it back quite a bit.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Except that the Ralliart doesn't have the same turbo as the Evo which will hold it back quite a bit.
yes it does , but still will be gain hope fully a lot vs the competitors.

Quick Reply: Road and Track: RA, WRX, MS3, and Cobalt SS