Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Road and Track: RA, WRX, MS3, and Cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Probably not since the competitors have bigger turbos which will naturally net larger gains for the same mods. If you throw a TBE on a Ralliart, I suspect you'll gain less power than a TBE on a WRX simply because of the turbo size.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Probably not since the competitors have bigger turbos which will naturally net larger gains for the same mods. If you throw a TBE on a Ralliart, I suspect you'll gain less power than a TBE on a WRX simply because of the turbo size.
we will see soon
Old Sep 25, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Just think about it logically. I'm sure there is a lot of potential in the Ralliart, if it's anything like the pre-08 WRX (which the turbo seems to be) the torque numbers will be through the roof but it'll run out of steam quickly. This was already shown in the test since the car can't keep up once the speeds get higher and higher.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just think about it logically. I'm sure there is a lot of potential in the Ralliart, if it's anything like the pre-08 WRX (which the turbo seems to be) the torque numbers will be through the roof but it'll run out of steam quickly. This was already shown in the test since the car can't keep up once the speeds get higher and higher.
First of all the MS3 has a tiny little turbo and makes no power over 5000RPM. The MS6 weighs as much as the Ralliart and uses the same engine and is slow so the Ralliart has more upside than one competitor already.

Second of all you are speculating because nobody really knows the capability of the turbocharger in the Ralliart. It has been proven that the OEM boost control solenoid on the EVO X can't hold boost and drops off. Major gains have been made just by adding an aftermarket boost controller and holding boost to redline without actually increasing peak boost. I'm willing to bet that the Ralliart suffers from the same issue of boost dropping off due to the solenoid which is easily correctable with an aftermarket boost controller.

Third of all Mitsubishi turbos > IHI turbos so the 2008 WRX's turbo is irrelevant.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
First of all the MS3 has a tiny little turbo and makes no power over 5000RPM. The MS6 weighs as much as the Ralliart and uses the same engine and is slow so the Ralliart has more upside than one competitor already.

Second of all you are speculating because nobody really knows the capability of the turbocharger in the Ralliart. It has been proven that the OEM boost control solenoid on the EVO X can't hold boost and drops off. Major gains have been made just by adding an aftermarket boost controller and holding boost to redline without actually increasing peak boost. I'm willing to bet that the Ralliart suffers from the same issue of boost dropping off due to the solenoid which is easily correctable with an aftermarket boost controller.

Third of all Mitsubishi turbos > IHI turbos so the 2008 WRX's turbo is irrelevant.
The MS3 has a tiny turbo if you're comparing it to an 18G or something like that but it's larger than the TD04 in the older WRX and I would wager it's larger than the turbo in the Ralliart. The logic behind this is the fact that the Ralliart is left in the dust once speeds get higher (as indicated by the article). The MS6 is not a competitor of the Ralliart so I don't see why that is relevant.
The problems that plague the Ralliart plague all turbo cars. The WRX has a crappy stock map, it is absolutely horrendous. The same goes for the MS3. Mod for mod, the other cars will always be faster simply because you're starting from a better platform. This doesn't mean the Ralliart cannot be made to be a good or won't be a good car out of the box but, as I've said again and again, if you are basing your choice purely on performance numbers, there are at least 3 other cars you should consider first.
Sure Mitsubishi makes great turbos, but IHI has some good ones as well. The point was that with the size of turbo found on the Ralliart (which by the sounds of it is a TD04 like in the older WRX), torque numbers will be quite good (since the turbo will spool up quickly) but the high end power and horsepower numbers will fall behind. You can see this quite easily in some of the modded WRXs that have torque numbers in the 300 WTQ levels but HP numbers that are closer to 250 WHP.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are you getting your data from? My 'tiny' stock turbo is already pushing 330+ into 6 grand revs. the ms6 isn't 'slow' either
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

The MS3 uses the K04 right? Do you happen to know the specs on that turbo?
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

There are specs around but people can't confirm from borg warner
Old Sep 26, 2008, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TruboPower
Where are you getting your data from? My 'tiny' stock turbo is already pushing 330+ into 6 grand revs. the ms6 isn't 'slow' either
That's power is due more from benefits of direct injection and higher compression ratio's than the turbocharger itself. MS6 is slower than an Eclipse GT for crying out loud.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

The MS3 has a tiny turbo if you're comparing it to an 18G or something like that but it's larger than the TD04 in the older WRX and I would wager it's larger than the turbo in the Ralliart. The logic behind this is the fact that the Ralliart is left in the dust once speeds get higher (as indicated by the article). The MS6 is not a competitor of the Ralliart so I don't see why that is relevant.
The problems that plague the Ralliart plague all turbo cars. The WRX has a crappy stock map, it is absolutely horrendous. The same goes for the MS3. Mod for mod, the other cars will always be faster simply because you're starting from a better platform. This doesn't mean the Ralliart cannot be made to be a good or won't be a good car out of the box but, as I've said again and again, if you are basing your choice purely on performance numbers, there are at least 3 other cars you should consider first.
Sure Mitsubishi makes great turbos, but IHI has some good ones as well. The point was that with the size of turbo found on the Ralliart (which by the sounds of it is a TD04 like in the older WRX), torque numbers will be quite good (since the turbo will spool up quickly) but the high end power and horsepower numbers will fall behind. You can see this quite easily in some of the modded WRXs that have torque numbers in the 300 WTQ levels but HP numbers that are closer to 250 WHP.
You're really just speculating. Until the car gets into the hands of tuning shops we really won't know.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Wow the WRX kicks the Ralliarts but, faster in every test although it is 300 pounds lighter and has more hp. It still is a little cheaper and appears at least with this test to be the better performer all-around. I think Mitsubishi dropped the ball on what should have been a regular WRX killer. To me it only wins in the looks category. Yes I can say with a tune it will be much better but the same can be said for the WRX(although I would never buy such an ugly car).
For People magazine shopping between the two it appears to be better
Old Sep 26, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

That's power is due more from benefits of direct injection and higher compression ratio's than the turbocharger itself. MS6 is slower than an Eclipse GT for crying out loud.
Is that true????
Old Sep 26, 2008, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MYEVOVIII
Wow the WRX kicks the Ralliarts but, faster in every test although it is 300 pounds lighter and has more hp. It still is a little cheaper and appears at least with this test to be the better performer all-around. I think Mitsubishi dropped the ball on what should have been a regular WRX killer. To me it only wins in the looks category. Yes I can say with a tune it will be much better but the same can be said for the WRX(although I would never buy such an ugly car).
For People magazine shopping between the two it appears to be better
Exactly.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Since when is a 5.4 sec. 0-60 and 14.1 1/4 mile considered slow? In fact, the RA is as fast, or faster, than the other 3 up to 70. It is from 80 up that it starts to fall behind, due to weight and the least HP. And, as they mention in the notes, it was the easiest to get those numbers. I can't wait to read others reviews where they do more acceleration tests than just standing starts, like rolling acceleration and C&D's 5-60 street start (which will probably really hurt the WRX). Not saying that the RA will do well in those, but it's always nice to get a more rounded aspect of acceleration than just standing starts.

Anyway, my point is that acceleration isn't the biggest problem with the RA's performance, it looks like handling and braking are. People are putting a lot of blame on the tires, but the MS3 has the exact same ones (size and type!), yet pulls .02 more G on the skidpad, is 2 mph faster in the slalom, and stops a lot shorter. Once again, the RA's weight rears its ugly head.

I'm still interested in the RA. It's the best looking of this bunch by far (IMO), the acceleration is fine for me, and it has the SST. For those comparing it to a GSR, which I've done in my head too, it's apples to oranges primarily due to trans choices. If you want an EVO with the SST, it'll cost you $10K more! And you can't get an Octane Blue MR. The handling numbers on the RA are a little disappointing, but it's still on my consideration list for a new car (along with the updated '09 WRX). Magazine tests and reviews offer good information/comparision, but actual test drives of both cars will be the determining factor.

Last edited by jwoods986; Sep 26, 2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jwoods986
Anyway, my point is that acceleration isn't the biggest problem with the RA's performance, it looks like handling and braking are. People are putting a lot of blame on the tires, but the MS3 has the exact same ones (size and type!), yet pulls .02 more G on the skidpad, is 2 mph faster in the slalom, and stops a lot shorter. Once again, the RA's weight rears its ugly head. .
Maybe i sound stupid but, a FWD mazda should never ever out handle an AWD turbo mitsu it just does not sound right at all... I hope mitsu fixes this issue since the EVO9 AWD is a bit selling point of the ralliart...

Quick Reply: Road and Track: RA, WRX, MS3, and Cobalt SS