Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

RalliArt Test Drive (Merge)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I know, I said that in my earlier post. If all you want is flappy paddles though, you have a lot of options out there.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
He also says he wants to drive fast and aggressively which suggests he'll want to mod it to make up for its stock shortcomings (if you trust the R&D review).
What makes you think the Ralliart Lancer is slow by any standard?? Is anything less than a Evo all slow??
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I know, I said that in my earlier post. If all you want is flappy paddles though, you have a lot of options out there.
No doubt. In my mind thought, a CVT is even lower on my list than a auto-based trans.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

Read the R&D review, it came in last place compared to the WRX, the MS3 and the Cobalt SS. From what I remember it was faster 0-60 than the MS3 but it's also AWD so it damn well should be. It's not the beast some people seemed to be expecting.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 12:42 AM

Regardless of the reviews & comparo, how is a under 6 secs car slow by any standard??

Plus, he already said he don't want WRX/MS3 for the hatchback factor.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 03:20 AM

^^U.S. gets the WRX sedan, still not much of a looker though.

As for performance, anything should feel fast compared to a Wrangler especially a turbo charged car. Even my 2.5i Impreza felt quick compared to the 97 tj I had previously.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lovecolt
Regardless of the reviews & comparo, how is a under 6 secs car slow by any standard??

Plus, he already said he don't want WRX/MS3 for the hatchback factor.
It's slow by the standard of its competitors.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 12:04 PM

I stand in a similar situation as Noble713, and thank you for your service btw.

Anyways, i've been reading everyones comments on how slow the car is, handling is crappy, and same with the price. For me, I had originally wanted to just get the recaro package, but from what I hear, the seats aren't all that great - the material is pulling away from the seams and there have been others who have experience construction issues. The stereo, while I would love 650watts, most likely will be limited by it's headunit - which can be fixed, but it is still something more I would need. The hid's, while cool, I can just install those myself, and the sirius radio - eh whatever. I have convinced myself that the price of a base Ralliart wouldn't be that bad of a decision for me.

Why am I wanting a base ralliart? Besides my outlined reasons above, I don't want to pony up to +30k for a GSR as I am wanting an automatic (SST) but still a little pep. For me, the standard for horsepower is not the evo, I have my stingray that has more than enough for me to handle when I want to go fast. I don't expect the car to become an evo, perhaps I will mod a few things, but I know that there are definate differences between the two cars, and that is for a reason. If all I cared about was performance, I would most likely save for a GSR, but for a daily driver, I want the car to stay drivable. Perhaps later I will add new seats and a new stereo, but as the economy is currently on life support, and a stock market crash is in our near future, this car is cheap enough not to break the bank, yet still supply me with a little fun during my work commutes.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlueVette

Anyways, i've been reading everyones comments on how slow the car is, handling is crappy, and same with the price. For me, I had originally wanted to just get the recaro package, but from what I hear, the seats aren't all that great - the material is pulling away from the seams and there have been others who have experience construction issues. The stereo, while I would love 650watts, most likely will be limited by it's headunit - which can be fixed, but it is still something more I would need. The hid's, while cool, I can just install those myself, and the sirius radio - eh whatever. I have convinced myself that the price of a base Ralliart wouldn't be that bad of a decision for me.

Why am I wanting a base ralliart? Besides my outlined reasons above, I don't want to pony up to +30k for a GSR as I am wanting an automatic (SST) but still a little pep. For me, the standard for horsepower is not the evo, I have my stingray that has more than enough for me to handle when I want to go fast. I don't expect the car to become an evo, perhaps I will mod a few things, but I know that there are definate differences between the two cars, and that is for a reason. If all I cared about was performance, I would most likely save for a GSR, but for a daily driver, I want the car to stay drivable. Perhaps later I will add new seats and a new stereo, but as the economy is currently on life support, and a stock market crash is in our near future, this car is cheap enough not to break the bank, yet still supply me with a little fun during my work commutes.
I too am slowly leaning this way. The only thing is that I really wanted the sunroof and the GPS Nav/Hard Drive. *sigh* economy does suck, and Mitsu pricing sure ain't helping the decision. A 27K OTD price is something I can live with but I don't see it happening.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Test drove the 09 RA this morning.

It seems that Mitsu doesn't want ppl driving these cars as i was told but i have a very mischievous friend working at the dealership , so we snuck one out the back gate. The car is actually very well put together. I know many of ppl on here are talkin bad about the TC-SST but if u are lookin for performance and daily driveability this is the car to get. Honestly though it does need about 20-30 more HP to offset the added weight but the torque delivery is great. The transmission shifts are very crisp and precise in Sport mode and Normal mode shifts similar to the CVT in the GTS. I didn't get a chance to really push it because it had no gas (the indicator was flashing) but as far as i can tell the conering with the AWD system was amazing, granted that the car can use a stiffer suspension and wider tires. I know my write up sucks but if you have any questions just ask and i'll try to answer them as best as i can.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

I got to beat the **** outta 2 of them today. Put about 20 miles total on it. I'm far impressed with everything outta the box. My main complaint would be a harsh *** ride, but that could of been the crappy jersey streets.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlueVette

It's really not slow at all. The powerband mated to the tranny pulls it along quite well.

The seat's coming apart isn't really that big of a deal and has some easy fixs, its just an annoyance to have a brand new thing busted already. The comfort level and bolstering of them is great.

The stereo is one of the best OEM's I've heard in years, combined with a wide range of tuning and tweaked when mated to the Navi, and the Navi does worlds more than any $200 garmin will ever do.

The hids you would throw on for $100 aftermarket will never match the OEM ones..

So for all that.. the package doesn't look that bad..
Old Oct 3, 2008, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

^ This is why mitsu doesn't want people test driving them. Like the Evo, future owners don't want a RA that was abused at a test drive plus all the miles put on it. I know I wouldn't want one you test drove.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 03:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TruboPower
I got to beat the **** outta 2 of them today. Put about 20 miles total on it. I'm far impressed with everything outta the box. My main complaint would be a harsh *** ride, but that could of been the crappy jersey streets.
If it is harsh, then it will probably be the WRX for me. Very cushy. Same or better power. Plus the Subie dealer is right down the street, where the Mitsu dealer is across town.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 03:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dboz
If it is harsh, then it will probably be the WRX for me. Very cushy. Same or better power. Plus the Subie dealer is right down the street, where the Mitsu dealer is across town.
but the subie is butt ugly!

Quick Reply: RalliArt Test Drive (Merge)