Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Front License Plate Install?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2008, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front License Plate Install?

I bought my Ralliart from a dealer about 130 miles away. So they will be sending me the plates when they get them. My question is, does anyone know the best method for installing the front plate? In the glove compartment they had the screws and some rubber grommet-type things. All they did with the back plate was a simple drill and screw job, but with these rubber grommets, I'm not sure what the process would be yet... I would appreciate any suggestions.

Photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dslrninja/3135309855/
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:48 AM

my suggestion would be is not to put the front plate on! but i dont know what the laws are where you are. a plate just kills the mean front end IMO
Old Dec 25, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

I see the X guys put them off to the side on the drivers side. It does not look bad IMO. You need to have a front plate in my state.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

I see the X guys put them off to the side on the drivers side. It does not look bad IMO. You need to have a front plate in my state.

These are NOT my car. Just for some ideas. The grommets may be fillers for behind the black mounting plate. Or as spacers to keep the plate off the paint. Hopefully the owners don't mind. Just a few I found quickly.
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate Install?-sany0266.jpg   Front License Plate Install?-dsc08515.jpg  

Last edited by dboz; Dec 25, 2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i refuse to drll a hole on my bumper so i did this one:

Takes 1 minutes to put it on, 10 sec to take it off.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

ROBEVO, so how did you mount it? Maybe post a pic with the plate off so we can see how you did it. It looks like you have two tiny screws in at the top. What is it mounting to.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he's using zipties to hold the plate against the grill.

i have my plate setup like that, but our RA grill must be smaller than the evo X's cause it doesnt sit nicely like that. My license plate hangs over the grill. I'll try and take a pic later today.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info. Pics would be nice.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:00 AM

Mounting it in front of the inner cooler looks good. Although, wouldn't it have some effect on how well it can perform its job when half of it is blocked by the plate?

It is a good idea though...
Maybe I'll do a modified version of that, where it is mounted in the black bumper area, but with some type of metal line or even some strong fishing line or something. Then route the line into the engine bay area. I'm bound to find something safe to attach the line to in there.

Thanks, I really appreciate all of your help so far.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Don't worry about that, ROBEVO is all show and no go, he drives like a grandma, just wants to look good.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Scott W.
I bought my Ralliart from a dealer about 130 miles away. So they will be sending me the plates when they get them. My question is, does anyone know the best method for installing the front plate? In the glove compartment they had the screws and some rubber grommet-type things. All they did with the back plate was a simple drill and screw job, but with these rubber grommets, I'm not sure what the process would be yet... I would appreciate any suggestions.

Photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dslrninja/3135309855/
Picked up my RA a few months ago and had the same hardware in the glove box. it only works if you want to drill holes in the middle of the front bumper (there are a set of center punch holes for this) Do not drill in the front middle.....it looks like crap. Spend a few dollars and get the Exo X front mounting plate with the hardware. ( bolts are longer than what comes with the RA) I put the plate off to the side and it looks good...at least to me.

Here are a few pics....
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate Install?-ra-plate-1.jpg   Front License Plate Install?-img_1992.jpg  
Old Dec 26, 2008, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jRox
he's using zipties to hold the plate against the grill.

i have my plate setup like that, but our RA grill must be smaller than the evo X's cause it doesnt sit nicely like that. My license plate hangs over the grill. I'll try and take a pic later today.
opps , sorry , i thought the plate will fit.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shabsralliart
Picked up my RA a few months ago and had the same hardware in the glove box. it only works if you want to drill holes in the middle of the front bumper (there are a set of center punch holes for this) Do not drill in the front middle.....it looks like crap. Spend a few dollars and get the Exo X front mounting plate with the hardware. ( bolts are longer than what comes with the RA) I put the plate off to the side and it looks good...at least to me.

Here are a few pics....

Hello fellow Ontrian!

I also had my dealer mount it Evo style. Looks so much better offset, IMO.

btw: looks GREAT in black! Bet that's a pain now that the salt is down, eh?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by suprPHREAK
Hello fellow Ontrian!

I also had my dealer mount it Evo style. Looks so much better offset, IMO.

btw: looks GREAT in black! Bet that's a pain now that the salt is down, eh?
I agree -- it looks better off to the side for black, and probably also for dark gray.

However, for lighter colours (orange, say), it looks better mounted in the middle of the front -- otherwise the aggressive front is too aggressive for the lighter colour. I mean, how aggressive can an orange car even look, anyway
Old Dec 31, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Double sided tape

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Install?