Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Downpipe and Test pipe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009 | 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

what is the good thing about changing the downpipe?
Old Jan 28, 2009 | 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Less exhaust restriction means less work the motor has to do pushing out the hot gas which translates into additional power to the wheels.

I had heard they were working on an air intake as well. Intake and exhaust should yeild some solid and safe gains.
Old Jan 28, 2009 | 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

^Cool. Thanks for the updates
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

I should have a new catback on Sunday. Ill post pics right before the superbowl!!! Furthermore I got word back from COBB. They are doing an AccessPORT for the RA and their RACE software will come free for further tuning.
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

CP-e is a great vendor to have in your corner. I've had both their CAI and SRI and they have come out with lots of other great stuff for the Mazdaspeed 3/6. This is making the RA an even more attractive car for me. That and a problem I've been having with my left knee. Don't know how much longer I can drive MT but don't want a slush box, evah.

Last edited by desperado-c; Feb 3, 2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by elpoole
Less exhaust restriction means less work the motor has to do pushing out the hot gas which translates into additional power to the wheels.

I had heard they were working on an air intake as well. Intake and exhaust should yeild some solid and safe gains.
You also get a much sportier sound. Not ricy by any means, just more rumble and a little more volume. Mid-pipe (and an intake if needed) is a great mod for those don't want the full monty of the downpipe. Takes like 45 minutes to un/install if you're worried about taking your car to the dealer for warranty work with your mods on.
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

It's more than that, less restrictions allow the turbo to spool faster (higher velocity gases) and potentially allow you to run more boost.
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

IMO, the RA in SST flavor is no slush box. The base Lancer CVT is absolutely worthless but the SST can be a head snap. Not quite like dumping the clutch from a stand still but certainly enough to make you take it seriously. Once rolling, all you want to do is flick the paddles and bang through gears.

If / when there is 280+ WHP in an RA, and certainly if it comes in MT, the EVO is going to see more track only or Too Fast Too Furious with extra rice boy racer action. I love the EVO but feel that if its not purpose driven then its a little tacky at times.

We ( the RA community ) will have full exhaust, intake and tuning for the RA in the near future. There is always going to be some trickle down technology from the Evo that we will be able to take advantage of. That is certainly going to get the RA on par+ with a stock Evo in the power department without any visibile cues except exhaust tips. Theres nothing like being discrete.

Yes we all know that the Evo has the suspension from hell but take your RA, change the rubber and upgrade the brake pads and most of the traction worries dissapear except for AYC. Rims and lowering is an extra option from the Evo to the Lancer meaning, everyone has the same hurdle at all price points.

Again, there is supposed to be a catback on my car by Sunday morning, im going to pick it up at 2pm. I should be able to post pics and possibly a video before kickoff. Next week, we should see an intake. Im also thinking of relocating my battery. Any comments about that?
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

IMO, the RA in SST flavor is no slush box. The base Lancer CVT is absolutely worthless but the SST can be a head snap. Not quite like dumping the clutch from a stand still but certainly enough to make you take it seriously. Once rolling, all you want to do is flick the paddles and bang through gears.

If / when there is 280+ WHP in an RA, and certainly if it comes in MT, the EVO is going to see more track only or Too Fast Too Furious with extra rice boy racer action. I love the EVO but feel that if its not purpose driven then its a little tacky at times.

We ( the RA community ) will have full exhaust, intake and tuning for the RA in the near future. There is always going to be some trickle down technology from the Evo that we will be able to take advantage of. That is certainly going to get the RA on par+ with a stock Evo in the power department without any visibile cues except exhaust tips. Theres nothing like being discrete.

Yes we all know that the Evo has the suspension from hell but take your RA, change the rubber and upgrade the brake pads and most of the traction worries dissapear except for AYC. Rims and lowering is an extra option from the Evo to the Lancer meaning, everyone has the same hurdle at all price points.

Again, there is supposed to be a catback on my car by Sunday morning, im going to pick it up at 2pm. I should be able to post pics and possibly a video before kickoff. Next week, we should see an intake. Im also thinking of relocating my battery. Any comments about that?
280 WHP is meaningless without a reference. Just so people know, Cobb is very very nice when it comes to numbers. 280 WHP is great if the car dynos 200 WHP on the same dyno but useless if it dynos 265 WHP on the same dyno, you next context. The Evo will always be the car to buy if you can afford it. If you can afford the Evo, you don't buy a Ralliart, it's that simple.
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for dumbing down the dyno info, Captian Obvious. You insult everyone on this thread and most others on EvoM with such patronizing comments.

"The Evo will always be the car to buy if you can afford it. If you can afford the Evo, you don't buy a Ralliart, it's that simple." - AKA tunnel vision.

Ill post up on Sunday. Other than that, no comment.
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for dumbing down the dyno info, Captian Obvious. You insult everyone on this thread and most others on EvoM with such patronizing comments.

"The Evo will always be the car to buy if you can afford it. If you can afford the Evo, you don't buy a Ralliart, it's that simple." - AKA tunnel vision.

Ill post up on Sunday. Other than that, no comment.
Well considering most people on evom treat dynos like the end-all be all answer and don't know how to read/interpret them, it needs to be dumbed down. It wasn't meant to be insulting or patronizing. As for the rest, people who drive the little brother car always try to make such claims. If I could afford an STi, I wouldn't waste my time with a WRX. The same applies to the Evo to Ralliart relationship. If you want an Evo and can afford an Evo, a Ralliart won't cut it.
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

any knows if they have been having issues with the sst with those high hp numbers?
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Doesn't look like it but again, 280 WHP to Cobb may not be equal to 280 WHP to TTP or AMS.
Old Jan 29, 2009 | 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

ya i get you
Old Feb 1, 2009 | 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

As promised

Ok, the turbo back system from CP-E is test fitted on the car. Its a 3" turboback split to a 2.5" dual catback.

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0EK-YgcYqQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDP7cZA4_z0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAxOjqrEn2I

I am returning the car tomorrow so they can complete the intake and final fit and finish on the exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails Downpipe and Test pipe-dscf5289.jpg   Downpipe and Test pipe-dscf5294.jpg   Downpipe and Test pipe-dscf5297.jpg   Downpipe and Test pipe-dscf5298.jpg   Downpipe and Test pipe-dscf5291.jpg  

Last edited by elpoole; Feb 3, 2009 at 06:27 AM.