Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Downpipe and Test pipe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by elpoole
Then obviously your in the wrong thread, again.
Well clearly I'm not given the post directly above yours .
Old Feb 3, 2009, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, this is a nice looking exhaust system. Better looking than BR's and AMS's. It sounds mean as heck too! Probably because it's a full turbo back (no cat). Is there any drone on the highway at cruising speeds? It kind of sounds like it will since I couldn't see the RPM's in the vids.

Is there two versions? The muffler one and straight pipe one?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Really? So an extra 40-50 WTQ isn't worth it? You'll notice that the 50 whp was with a tune not a collection of bolt-ons. The cars I was referring to are things like older Supras, Skylines, Civics, etc. Nowadays tuning is absolutely the key.
I like how you through around the word tune. So now you mean a complete tune (to get that 50whp extra)? Show me a complete tune for the Ralliart that goes for $200, please. To me, and to several others, your use of the word "tune" is basically get a part and get the car tuned to work along with the part. Which is why we, and 4 other vendors do not agree with getting a TUNE after adding just one part. Now is a complete tune (ie AMS' reflash) worth it? Absolutely. Please be more clear next time.

Last edited by EsRt2evo; Feb 3, 2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Everything is designed and spec'd in house. All bending and assembly is done in house. Everything is from the USA. I sent a request to CP-E on where the mufflers are actually built, though I do know that nothing is outsourced to China. You dont get that story ' oh, well, we got our pipes back but the bends were wrong so we have to send them back out '

Hard to believe but no, there is no drone. You can let it coast or cruise along and its not pounding away. I apologize for the poor quality vids. I should have a chance to get some better clips early next week. It is mean though, real mean.

Ive seen completed work CP-E has done for BMW and its like looking at liquid steel. So smooth. The bends and welds are perfect. Thick flanges and precise hanger placement for a solid, straight fit for a long duty life.

I dont believe there will be a straight pipe one ( I could be wrong ) , though since its all built in house I dont see why you couldn't request one? I did hear about a single exit exhaust in the works.

I cant wait to get their intake and upper / lower pipes and then start tuning. Its gonna be a mean RA. I have a couple track days planned as well as extended road trips to Florida, the Mid West and Canada. It will be a great opportunity to report back on a wide range of driving conditions with those parts.

Last edited by elpoole; Feb 3, 2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EsRt2evo
I like how you through around the word tune. So now you mean a complete tune (to get that 50whp extra)? Show me a complete tune for the Ralliart that goes for $200, please. To me, and to several others, your use of the word "tune" is basically get a part and get the car tuned to work along with the part. Which is why we, and 4 other vendors do not agree with getting a TUNE after adding just one part. Now is a complete tune (ie AMS' reflash) worth it? Absolutely. Please be more clear next time.
Well if you wait, you can tune the car with ECUflash. I really don't care what the vendors say because first off, they're contradicting themselves if you think about. What single part has been shown to increase performance the most? A tune. elpoole states the same thing yourself here

1. A DP and catback does not require a tune to achieve a noticeable gain.
2. All put the gains in the exact same ball park of 10 - 18 Hp gain +-2.
3. All agreed that you would see more with a tune.
4. All suggested that a tune should come after any other planned mods.
If you're going to spend 1000$, why spend 1000$ on an exhaust that gives you maybe 10-18 HP when you can spend that money on a tune that gives substantially more gains? A tune is a tune, I have no idea why you are separating them into two types since they are effectively the same.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:17 AM

Everything is designed and spec'd in house. All bending and assembly is done in house. Everything is from the USA. I sent a request to CP-E on where the mufflers are actually built, though I do know that nothing is outsourced to China. You dont get that story ' oh, well, we got our pipes back but the bends were wrong so we have to send them back out '

Hard to believe but no, there is no drone. You can let it coast or cruise along and its not pounding away. I apologize for the poor quality vids. I should have a chance to get some better clips early next week. It is mean though, real mean.

Ive seen completed work CP-E has done for BMW and its like looking at liquid steel. So smooth. The bends and welds are perfect. Thick flanges and precise hanger placement for a solid, straight fit for a long duty life.

I dont believe there will be a straight pipe one ( I could be wrong ) , though since its all built in house I dont see why you couldn't request one? I did hear about a single exit exhaust in the works.

I cant wait to get their intake and upper / lower pipes and then start tuning. Its gonna be a mean RA. I have a couple track days planned as well as extended road trips to Florida, the Mid West and Canada. It will be a great opportunity to report back on a wide range of driving conditions with those parts.
Finally something good in this thread again and on topic.

I only asked cause of the problems they had with Magnaflo producing thier Y-pipes for the Mazda 6s. The show peice looked great, but what they produced for cp-e was ****ing horrid. CP-E stepped up and fixed it for us that had purchused the exhaust system.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Well if you wait, you can tune the car with ECUflash. I really don't care what the vendors say because first off, they're contradicting themselves if you think about. What single part has been shown to increase performance the most? A tune. elpoole states the same thing yourself here

If you're going to spend 1000$, why spend 1000$ on an exhaust that gives you maybe 10-18 HP when you can spend that money on a tune that gives substantially more gains? A tune is a tune, I have no idea why you are separating them into two types since they are effectively the same.

Ill clarify. They said you would see it on the high side of the range with a tune.

Last edited by elpoole; Feb 3, 2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Ill clarify. They said you would see it on the high side of the range with a tune. Possibly a little more.
So 18 HP with a tune? That's a really crappy tune then since apparently you can gain 50 HP with just a tune.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

so 18 hp with a tune? That's a really crappy tune then since apparently you can gain 50 hp with just a tune.
18 +- 2

They were talking about tuning part specific. I think we all agree more can be had if you tune overall. That was what your original interjection was about right? This is a down pipe and test pipe thread? Just sit back, relax and let all the engineers work on these systems without triple guessing every peep out of anyone.

Last edited by elpoole; Feb 3, 2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

I will see how far they can tune mine with ECUtek without any mods, getting it done tomorrow morn..hopefully closer to the 250WHP mark, and same with the torque hopefully higher..Mine dyno'd out stock at the aprox 196WHP, and 224Wtq
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

18 +- 2
Think this through logically, how can you gain less from an exhaust and a tune than you do with just a tune? If TTP, AMS, Works, etc. are gaining 50 WHP with just a tune, you would think that with the exhaust done, you could gain substantially more (free-flowing exhaust, boost can come on quicker and harder). I don't see the point in putting a tune off as long as possible when it shows the biggest gains and may be all you need anyways. Why spend money on an exhaust, intake, cams, etc. only to hit torque protection and have to detune the car, running at less than maximum power?
Edit: As for the second part, that you very quickly edited, vendors are free to say whatever they want within reason of course. It's our jobs as consumers to educate ourselves, not go after vendors and expecting them to tell use everything we need to know.
I don't understand why people are separating a tune from tuning for a particular part, they are fundamentally the same (more or less). You're not going to have someone tune for an exhaust (whatever the hell that means) while leaving the rest of the map stock, that's just stupid.

Last edited by ambystom01; Feb 3, 2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Think this through logically, how can you gain less from an exhaust and a tune than you do with just a tune? If TTP, AMS, Works, etc. are gaining 50 WHP with just a tune, you would think that with the exhaust done, you could gain substantially more (free-flowing exhaust, boost can come on quicker and harder). I don't see the point in putting a tune off as long as possible when it shows the biggest gains and may be all you need anyways. Why spend money on an exhaust, intake, cams, etc. only to hit torque protection and have to detune the car, running at less than maximum power?
Edit: As for the second part, that you very quickly edited, vendors are free to say whatever they want within reason of course. It's our jobs as consumers to educate ourselves, not go after vendors and expecting them to tell use everything we need to know.
I don't understand why people are separating a tune from tuning for a particular part, they are fundamentally the same (more or less). You're not going to have someone tune for an exhaust (whatever the hell that means) while leaving the rest of the map stock, that's just stupid.

This whole converstaion came about when you tried to hijack yet another thread with the commnent - a tbe isnt always a good thing without a tune. Again, this is a DP and TP thread. You've now tried to hikack it to a be all, end all tuning page. Note: I never said COBB would get me 280whp, I mentioned I was looking into COBB tuning to obtain my goal. Doubts from a post ***** is not stopping anyone.

You could save everyone, mostly yourself, a lot of time with a simple sticky about your thoughts on Dynos. Isnt that the job a good moderator?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Euripides
I will see how far they can tune mine with ECUtek without any mods, getting it done tomorrow morn..hopefully closer to the 250WHP mark, and same with the torque hopefully higher..Mine dyno'd out stock at the aprox 196WHP, and 224Wtq
If you can get close to 250 on stock then RA owners are in good shape for some really strong numbers. Good luck man.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

This whole converstaion came about when you tried to hijack yet another thread with the commnent - a tbe isnt always a good thing without a tune. Again, this is a DP and TP thread. You've now tried to hikack it to a be all, end all tuning page. Note: I never said COBB would get me 280whp, I mentioned I was looking into COBB tuning to obtain my goal. Doubts from a post ***** is not stopping anyone.

You could save everyone, mostly yourself, a lot of time with a simple sticky about your thoughts on Dynos. Isnt that the job a good moderator?
And a TBE isn't always a good thing without a tune. I stated clear examples. Moreover, if you actually want power, why wouldn't you get a tune? It's a simple way to get more bang for you buck and give you the piece of mind that everything is running right.
A TBE is composed of a DP and CBE exhaust, much like this is. Hell, you can make a TBE without even changing the CBE if you want (and some people do make this claim).
Where did I mention Cobb or 280whp?
Am I trying to stop anyone? I don't give a crap if people spend 1000$ to gain 10 HP while missing out from a 50 WHP gain or run into overboost problems or whatever, not my car, not my money. However, it doesn't mean I'm not going to suggest people do it right the first time rather than half-*** it.
Moderators have every right to post in threads.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah but you said a $200 tune. To me, and i think to the rest of us, that means taking it to JOE SCHMOE tuning and saying, "Hey joe, i just got an exhaust, could you please adjust my ECU to work better with it. How much will a simple tune like this cost Joe?" Now a complete tune is working with the mivec, etc. etc. A complete tune to me is a reflash from AMS, GST, or even going to your local tuner and getting all parameters tuned. I dont understand why this is hard to comprehend.