Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Downpipe and Test pipe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by EsRt2evo
Yeah but you said a $200 tune. To me, and i think to the rest of us, that means taking it to JOE SCHMOE tuning and saying, "Hey joe, i just got an exhaust, could you please adjust my ECU to work better with it. How much will a simple tune like this cost Joe?" Now a complete tune is working with the mivec, etc. etc. A complete tune to me is a reflash from AMS, GST, or even going to your local tuner and getting all parameters tuned. I dont understand why this is hard to comprehend.
Wait a bit and you'll see tuning cost come down. Once ECUflash is available or dynoflash decides to tackle the Ralliart, you'll have cheaper options.
OK let's play a game, if you go to a tuner and ask them to adjust your ECU to "work better" with your exhaust, what are they going to do? How is it different from what you call a complete tune?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Wait a bit and you'll see tuning cost come down. Once ECUflash is available or dynoflash decides to tackle the Ralliart, you'll have cheaper options.
OK let's play a game, if you go to a tuner and ask them to adjust your ECU to "work better" with your exhaust, what are they going to do? How is it different from what you call a complete tune?
I would assume simply adjusting fuel maps, nothing more. For that cheap, why would someone do a complete tune with dyno time and all?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

I would assume simply adjusting fuel maps, nothing more. For that cheap, why would someone do a complete tune with dyno time and all?
I got my car tuned for 100$ CAD. It was road tuned and took about an hour and a half. All parameters were changed, timing, AF ratio and boost levels. If someone is doing what you suggest, they're not tuning, they're monkeying around. The problem is you're assuming.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

I got my car tuned for 100$ CAD. It was road tuned and took about an hour and a half. All parameters were changed, timing, AF ratio and boost levels. If someone is doing what you suggest, they're not tuning, they're monkeying around. The problem is you're assuming.
How is simply adjusting a fuel map to keep from running too rich or too lean monkeying around? And you get what you pay for Amby. If you chose to have someone tune your car while blowing around like an asshat on public streets that's your decision. But IMO that is more unprofessional and problematic than simplying assuming a simple tune is adjusting the AF ratio, nothing else.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

How is simply adjusting a fuel map to keep from running too rich or too lean monkeying around? And you get what you pay for Amby. If you chose to have someone tune your car while blowing around like an asshat on public streets that's your decision. But IMO that is more unprofessional and problematic than simplying assuming a simple tune is adjusting the AF ratio, nothing else.
It's monkeying around because it's doing something basically half-assed. If all you do is adjust the AF ratio, you're wasting everyone's time considering that a good tuner should be able to adjust many other aspects of the factory ECU.
My car was tuned by one of the best local Subaru tuners. He doesn't do it as a job which is why he charges so little. It also depends on who you are. Moreover he didn't drive like an idiot on public roads, he went to a deserted so that he could adjust the map safely while slowing down, speeding up, stopping, etc. Many tuners do road tunes because it's arguably better than tuning on a dyno.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 01:00 PM

It's monkeying around because it's doing something basically half-assed. If all you do is adjust the AF ratio, you're wasting everyone's time considering that a good tuner should be able to adjust many other aspects of the factory ECU.
My car was tuned by one of the best local Subaru tuners. He doesn't do it as a job which is why he charges so little. It also depends on who you are. Moreover he didn't drive like an idiot on public roads, he went to a deserted so that he could adjust the map safely while slowing down, speeding up, stopping, etc. Many tuners do road tunes because it's arguably better than tuning on a dyno.

Alright, is all this really relevant to the thread? All this comes down to personal preferences, goals and interests and is very car specific - not to mention you are talking about a completely different car (a subaru on a mitsubishi forum) - its an empty argument between all parties and is quite useless in the end. A moderator of all people should understand pointless rhetoric and keep the forum more or less free of irrelevant information to make actual facts easier to find (hence making the forum a better resource).
Old Feb 3, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dmitriyo
Alright, is all this really relevant to the thread? All this comes down to personal preferences, goals and interests and is very car specific - not to mention you are talking about a completely different car (a subaru on a mitsubishi forum) - its an empty argument between all parties and is quite useless in the end. A moderator of all people should understand pointless rhetoric and keep the forum more or less free of irrelevant information to make actual facts easier to find (hence making the forum a better resource).
If you want to call doing what is best for the car personal preference, go for it. I guess running a VTA BOV is personal preference or using a lower octane fuel is personal preference.
Part of being an informed consumer and a logical person is being able to take information from other sources and applying it your specific application. Even in the Evo world, the first two modifications are TBE and tune.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 04:15 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Please keep posts somewhat relevant to the product at hand, and not your personal opinions of other members.

And yes, discussing the merits of tuning after installing a new part (especially one as vital to turbo cars as a new DP or TBE) is relevant.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by elpoole
IMO, the RA in SST flavor is no slush box. ....
Yeah, I know, that's why I'm thinking it will be about my only choice if my knee continues going South.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Or I could just suggest that people act like informed and critical consumers rather than mindless sheep.
Correct, you should at least do some data logging to make sure AFR's, knock, and boost are not pushing the envelope into the boom-boom zone.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by elpoole
I should have a new catback on Sunday. Ill post pics right before the superbowl!!! Furthermore I got word back from COBB. They are doing an AccessPORT for the RA and their RACE software will come free for further tuning.
That is excellent, Cobb and CP-e. It just gets better and better.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 08:36 PM
Account Disabled

Once ECUflash is available...
EcuFlash is out and supports the 09 Ralliart as well. I just tuned one the other day with EcuFlash.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

There we go, without the licensing fees associated with ECUtek you can keep the cost down. How much did you charge for your tune?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 08:42 PM
Account Disabled

There we go, without the licensing fees associated with ECUtek you can keep the cost down. How much did you charge for your tune?
This thread isn't about my tunes, the only reason I posted is to inform that EcuFlash is out and works just fine with the RA.

People are always welcome to PM me with off-topic questions however.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by desperado-c
That is excellent, Cobb and CP-e. It just gets better and better.
Not sure abt this, got a email from Cobb like 2-3 days ago that theres nothing yet, and said to chk back in a couple of months, if there was to be anything