Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Gas mileage!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2009, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
28.3mpg is a really good. How did you calculate that? We're you going by the avg mpg meter--I don't think it's very accurate
Old Feb 6, 2009, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jRox
28.3mpg is a really good. How did you calculate that? We're you going by the avg mpg meter--I don't think it's very accurate
Wow, that's amazing. I must say that I feel as though the way technology is, there should be something to improve fuel economy. On average I get 17mpg on my 76 Vette, and that is on a 20 year old engine w/ carb. Oh and I usually don't go very easy on the gas.

I have been reading of alot of companies working on flashes in order to improve gas mileage, anyone have these on their RA's?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

fuel economy does get better after the "break in" or lets say after around 1000miles?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:46 PM

Well I just hit the 1000 mile mark today.When I got 28mpg I was cruising at speeds of about 60-70mph. On average I get around 25-26. I was very surprised and pleased when I got 28 so I had to post.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 02:24 AM

The AWD in the mazdaspeed6 is a dinosaur compared to the ones in the Ralliart and the EVO. As for drive quality, it is nowhere as performance and handling oriented as the Mitsu, Which might I add is the main reason most of us opt for these cars. There is a good reason why they discontinued them, because they SUCKED at what they did compared to the competition. I also dont think there are very many ECU Tuning options for the Mazda like ECUFlash, although I might be wrong about that.
Um, not really sure what your comparing between the 2 or 3 vehicles. I have a mazdaspeed6 and the AWD works just fine. I test drove the ralliart and wasn't really impressed with the power output. AWD felt the same as my car. Liked the shifting though. Drive quality I would say the Mazda wins. Performance also. Even though my car is heavier it still handled better in the turns. They didn't discontinue the car because it sucked....it was a limited production car, that's why they only make 5000 a year. Just like the 05 mazdaspeed maita or 03.5 mazdaspeed protege. They make them the last year before they do a body style change. All models except the mazdaspeed3 because they have been selling so well. Anyway, as far as tuning they have the cobb accessport, cp-e standback, xcede, and unichip <-not really much to tune on unichip though. The adaptive ecu actually adjust very well to mods and is able to control most upgrades also. Even larger turbo's without a tune. You just have to give the ECU about 100 miles and 10 keys cycles to dial in the fuel trims.

Now if your comparing the EVO to the MS6 then hands down the EVO wins. All except the comfort to me. Then again that's not what the EVO was made for. Also the MS6 is a heavy car in comparison. After test driving the Ralliart I knew I would have to have the EVO. Just didn't want to dish out the extra money. Plus I got the MS6 for less than the ralliart or evo.

As far as MPG. I have seen as low as 15mpg when I was driving about 2 miles to and from work also allowing the car to warm up. Currently see 20-21mpg mixed, and have seen 28-30mpg on the freeway cruising at 75mph. All values are with 92 octane and 10% ethanol blend year round.

Last edited by watdog; Feb 7, 2009 at 02:26 AM. Reason: added mpg
Old Feb 9, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by watdog
Um, not really sure what your comparing between the 2 or 3 vehicles. I have a mazdaspeed6 and the AWD works just fine. I test drove the ralliart and wasn't really impressed with the power output. AWD felt the same as my car. Liked the shifting though. Drive quality I would say the Mazda wins. Performance also. Even though my car is heavier it still handled better in the turns. They didn't discontinue the car because it sucked....it was a limited production car, that's why they only make 5000 a year. Just like the 05 mazdaspeed maita or 03.5 mazdaspeed protege. They make them the last year before they do a body style change. All models except the mazdaspeed3 because they have been selling so well. Anyway, as far as tuning they have the cobb accessport, cp-e standback, xcede, and unichip <-not really much to tune on unichip though. The adaptive ecu actually adjust very well to mods and is able to control most upgrades also. Even larger turbo's without a tune. You just have to give the ECU about 100 miles and 10 keys cycles to dial in the fuel trims.

Now if your comparing the EVO to the MS6 then hands down the EVO wins. All except the comfort to me. Then again that's not what the EVO was made for. Also the MS6 is a heavy car in comparison. After test driving the Ralliart I knew I would have to have the EVO. Just didn't want to dish out the extra money. Plus I got the MS6 for less than the ralliart or evo.

As far as MPG. I have seen as low as 15mpg when I was driving about 2 miles to and from work also allowing the car to warm up. Currently see 20-21mpg mixed, and have seen 28-30mpg on the freeway cruising at 75mph. All values are with 92 octane and 10% ethanol blend year round.
I am not arguing the functionality of the MS6 AWD. The ralliart has the AWD system from the evo IX which is known to be better/stronger than most AWDs out there, especially anything mazda makes/uses.

When you say AWD felt the same as your car, I dont know what you mean. Did you actually test the two out in snow/gravel/tarmac conditions and compare them?

As for the power output, it is something that can be easily fixed with the aftermarket options. Considering the SST is a much faster shifting transmission than almost 95% of drivers out there, and more consistent than almost 99% of drivers, the Ralliart has a distinct advantage.

As for the production numbers, I see that as one more negative for the MS6. The larger the number of vehicles sold, the easier it is to get support from the aftermarket. This is true of any vehicle.

The Ralliart currently has 1000$ cash back and another $500 customer loyalty if you or someone in your household already has a Mitsu vehicle. They are also selling at Invoice prices in many dealerships. I think that is a pretty big incentive.