Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Does the 2009 Ralliart have speed limiter

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the 2009 Ralliart have speed limiter

based on my driving experiments, I have the feeling I could push 140 mph or more in my RA (not that I have even been that close... I like keeping my license where it's at). I am just wondering if Mits. has a limit built in the computer like a lot of US cars. Not that I advocate going that fast, I just don't like big brother tactics and lawyers telling me how to live. If my car has the power I'd like it to be there If it were a life/death situation.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CyberP
based on my driving experiments, I have the feeling I could push 140 mph or more in my RA (not that I have even been that close... I like keeping my license where it's at). I am just wondering if Mits. has a limit built in the computer like a lot of US cars. Not that I advocate going that fast, I just don't like big brother tactics and lawyers telling me how to live. If my car has the power I'd like it to be there If it were a life/death situation.
I think the official top speed is something like 150 mph -- about 240 km/h. Whether or not there's a speed limiter probably depends very strongly on which country you bought your car in. Make sure you have the right tires before pushing the speed, of course -- and if you're not suicidal, also make sure you do it on a well-maintained track.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:43 PM

repeat entry. by mistake.

Last edited by CyberP; Feb 13, 2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: repeat entry
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:45 PM

I am in the US. seems like the land of laws here. But, I think that can be said anywhere these days. Gottcha on the tires thing, no real desire to become road pizza here. Also, I just hit 600 miles and I am still getting use to the car yet. I did some research and the EVO's are not speed governed here (a big selling point from what I hear) but no word on the RA.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

I belive that C+D article stated that top speed was 148mph drag limited, so probably around 150mph.

Do the US cars come with Z or V rated tires?
Old Feb 13, 2009, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

... only 1 way to find out no jk dont do it lol... im pretty sure it does not come w/ tires good enough for 150...
Old Feb 13, 2009, 02:21 PM

My 95 ford Probe GT did. (Probe traded on RA) I did not check the RA yet being winter and all. I put the winters on it fast as I could since It was real bad around here recently. It did not occur to check since my next set will certainly be. Everyday driving does not require it so I'm not to worried. That is until I have a chance to get to a track at some point.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trumpfan
I belive that C+D article stated that top speed was 148mph drag limited, so probably around 150mph.

wax it ? cut drag like ww2 pilots did to fighter planes.........
Old Feb 13, 2009, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

If my car has the power I'd like it to be there If it were a life/death situation.
You live in PA, so you're not outrunning tornados or anything. What life or death situation can you solve with 140+ MPH driving?

Originally Posted by Trumpfan

Originally Posted by Shabarivas
... only 1 way to find out no jk dont do it lol... im pretty sure it does not come w/ tires good enough for 150...

I don't think you can legally sell a car with underrated tires in the US.

Car and Driver says it's governed at 144 MPH. The tires appear to be ZR rated, good for 149+.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 05:06 PM

When I was doing research on the at before I bought it I remember reading somewhere that it is limited at 130mph. Which is lame. When I did the source I'll post again and let you know.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

There is a speed limit in the ECU wich looks like it can be changed. It appears to be an easy tweak. Rev limit is the same.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by hibby
You live in PA, so you're not outrunning tornados or anything. What life or death situation can you solve with 140+ MPH driving?

I don't think you can legally sell a car with underrated tires in the US.

Car and Driver says it's governed at 144 MPH. The tires appear to be ZR rated, good for 149+.
quite frankly we do get our share of tornadoes, we get nailed really bad from time to time...... But that's one I did not think of... very cool. We paid for the power, use it or not it should be there. Wouldn't it be nice if that "one in a million thing happened" (whatever it might be) and you actually needed it, and you had it ! I can understand limits like when a car become airborne at a certain speed or other physical things but I don't like when it's an arbitrary limit.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by elpoole
There is a speed limit in the ECU wich looks like it can be changed. It appears to be an easy tweak. Rev limit is the same.
neat. Although, I would not want to mess with that stuff untill my warranty was up. I also saw, since I posted a "on paper" top speed of 144mph for the RA. I wish I would have bookmarked the site. If I find it again I'll post the link. Actually I think I'd be satisfied with that for the most part. I just think the 130 speed I see a number of cars strapped to, very close to the speed most police chases are limited to. Just feels "big brotherish" to me. Stuff like this does not normally end with these high upper limits, things have a way of creeping up with laws. I see a day and age in the name of safety and fuel that they limit cars to 70 or even lower. We generally don't get back what was given up to the laws. Even if we don't use it we should not let it be taken from us. Sorry about the rant here but that's just how I feel.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

quite frankly we do get our share of tornadoes, we get nailed really bad from time to time...... But that's one I did not think of... very cool. We paid for the power, use it or not it should be there. Wouldn't it be nice if that "one in a million thing happened" (whatever it might be) and you actually needed it, and you had it ! I can understand limits like when a car become airborne at a certain speed or other physical things but I don't like when it's an arbitrary limit.
As much as I agree with you on top speed governors, and as much as I enjoy a briskly paced drive, it's tough to justify doing 140+ on a public road. I'm not judging anybody who has done it, and I'm no saint myself, but there's really no good excuse.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 05:01 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I doubt there is one, Mitsu isn't known for using them. IIRC, the Evos have one, but it's rather high (150+?) Spring's almost here, go to a track and find out

Quick Reply: Does the 2009 Ralliart have speed limiter