Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Rims/Tires...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rims/Tires...

As I have gone to Town Fair Tires (A big tire/rim store chain in the New England area, maybe in NY as well??), I have made a few decision on what to put on my car. But I have few questions to clarify everything and I don't believe 100% on what they say that "can" fit on my car. I am weighing on the 19x8's or the 18x8's. I want to use 19's but I don't want these real low profile tires as they recommend 35 profile. I personally prefer 40 or higher for tougher sidewall cornering when I feel like it. However the 18's will be 40 profile sidewall. Now this is what they recommend.....

19's....245/35/19
18's....245/40/18

Now firsthand on top of my head, there is no way a 245 width will fit our cars and I specifically told them that I wanted no wider than 235 on them. I have done some research tools but nothing came up but on EVO's and I know they aren't our cars. Also if I recall it right from seeing somewhere on this forum that the recommended widest tire is 235 for our cars. What are the best size tires to use without any rubbing issues since I do plan to use coilovers when they get a chance to come out. Also would I have to roll the fenders in order to fit them? Also the best offset fitment. I just want to make a wise choice. Thanks for any feedbacks.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

i think with 19" rims and using 40 profile on the tire is pretty rare.. most ppl will go with 35, maybe go through different brands of tires as some look to have thicker sidewalls etc..

I'd go with 18's and nothing wider than 235's and with a offset of +40 and above
Old Mar 11, 2009, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

For a baseline.

I'm running 18x8's with 45's rubbing alittle. With 40's I wouldn't rub as much in the rears. So they are pretty accurate with the height of the tires, but the width is nuts. 245's would touch the rear suspension with any offset.

Idriveara: He has 18x7.5's running +42 offsets 225/45's and has no issues with rubbing.

I believe robispec ran a 17x8.5 wheel (i dont' know the offset). They ran a 245 width tire, but had to roll the fender.

Evo's fit almost any kinda wheel as long as it clears the brembos...

Goodluck, let us know your results and get us som pix!!
Old Mar 11, 2009, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
You can fit the same width tires/wheels as the Lancer GTS so use them as a source of info since they've been around longer. A 245 tire would be a squish on an 8" rim anyways, a 235 is perfect.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
For a baseline.

I'm running 18x8's with 45's rubbing alittle. With 40's I wouldn't rub as much in the rears. So they are pretty accurate with the height of the tires, but the width is nuts. 245's would touch the rear suspension with any offset.

Idriveara: He has 18x7.5's running +42 offsets 225/45's and has no issues with rubbing.

I believe robispec ran a 17x8.5 wheel (i dont' know the offset). They ran a 245 width tire, but had to roll the fender.

Evo's fit almost any kinda wheel as long as it clears the brembos...

Goodluck, let us know your results and get us som pix!!
Oh, I plan to run 235/40/18's no doubt and yes I will make sure of brake clearance since I will be getting the Rotora BBK since they have a kit out for fronts and backs....I believe they are 4 and 2 pistons. EVO guys are getting 6/4 pistons. Don't know if that will fit, if so, then I will order those. Now as far as wheels goes......I am debating on several rims.....

or

They're both for $1,700 with tires and TPMS. I forget what kind of tires and I am sure they're the cheap kind but planning to upgrade the tires thats for sure.

Last edited by slyman; Mar 12, 2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Opps...sorry for the big pictures. I tried to resize it but couldn't.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slyman
Oh, I plan to run 235/40/18's no doubt and yes I will make sure of brake clearance since I will be getting the Rotora BBK since they have a kit out for fronts and backs....I believe they are 4 and 2 pistons. EVO guys are getting 6/4 pistons. Don't know if that will fit, if so, then I will order those. Now as far as wheels goes......I am debating on several rims.....

or

They're both for $1,700 with tires and TPMS. I forget what kind of tires and I am sure they're the cheap kind but planning to upgrade the tires thats for sure.
Before you go and buy a BBK, get new tires and new brake pads. BBKs are vastly overrated IMO, everyone and their grandma thinks they need a BBK when they don't. Caliper piston numbers are quickly becoming the pissing contest of the aftermarket world, I've even heard of kits with 10+ piston calipers. The number of pistons doesn't correlate with braking ability nor does the size of the rotor. Unless you are actually exceeding the capabilities of the stock system, a BBK is a big waste of money. For a quick emergency stop, the tires and pads are the only things that affect stopping distance. If you're actually racing (and no, aggressive street driving doesn't count), a BBK might be worth it if you're constantly overheating the stock system.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 04:56 AM

^^VERY sound advice. All a BBK is going to do is add to the rotational mass and unsprung weight.

If performance isn't an issue, then go for it ;-)

(remember this advise the next time you think about running big heavy 19's as a "performance" upgrade, also)
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Before you go and buy a BBK, get new tires and new brake pads. BBKs are vastly overrated IMO, everyone and their grandma thinks they need a BBK when they don't. Caliper piston numbers are quickly becoming the pissing contest of the aftermarket world, I've even heard of kits with 10+ piston calipers. The number of pistons doesn't correlate with braking ability nor does the size of the rotor. Unless you are actually exceeding the capabilities of the stock system, a BBK is a big waste of money. For a quick emergency stop, the tires and pads are the only things that affect stopping distance. If you're actually racing (and no, aggressive street driving doesn't count), a BBK might be worth it if you're constantly overheating the stock system.

I guess you're right about this and I don't plan on "racing" it anyways. But I gotta admit something here. I used to have Baer brake kit on the fronts of my 02 Stratus R/T coupe and I have never looked back due to feel of the pedal and overall braking. That is what I miss the most. This is why I am looking at the 4/2 piston package on our cars even though our cars comes with 2/1. Or if I am wrong, then correct me. Plus they "look" good behind any of those beautiful wheels that they choose!! How can you go wrong on that?? If I had an EVO, which I planning on to in next ear or so, then this is a totally different story!! So should I just replace the pads and slotted rotors upgrade?? Then paint my calipers? I don't want any drilled rotors.

On the rims, those are not 19's that I want even though they do offer that size. I am looking at 18x8's in either style of rims. They're forged as well as what the site says. So I assume it is decent weight wheel since I am not looking at Volks or their respective competitors in a real lightweight wheel category. And again, if it was in an EVO, then different story as well.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Keep in mind BBKs often increase the stopping distance of a car. SCC did a nice article on this. It's basically a result of brake balance, having massive rotors in the front can throw it off. It's unlikely that even the two kits in combination would have the same balance as stock. If you want the feel, buy stainless steel lines and new pads.
Pads are an absolute must, they can dramaticall change stopping distance. I remember somebody tested new pads on a WRX and they halfed the braking distance. Slotted rotors aren't necessary and are bling more than anything else.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Keep in mind BBKs often increase the stopping distance of a car. SCC did a nice article on this. It's basically a result of brake balance, having massive rotors in the front can throw it off. It's unlikely that even the two kits in combination would have the same balance as stock. If you want the feel, buy stainless steel lines and new pads.
Pads are an absolute must, they can dramaticall change stopping distance. I remember somebody tested new pads on a WRX and they halfed the braking distance. Slotted rotors aren't necessary and are bling more than anything else.

Alright cool, I'll keep that in mind and look into some of these aftermarket stuff that I can do. Thanks for the much appreciated advice you've given to me and others to see as well.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

If they fit get the bottom one in the 19 w/ a 1" drop. That would look hot with the white.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Also i may be wrong but i was hearing that you have a more of a chance the if you have slotted rotors they will crack easily. Also I'd go with the first set of shoes
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Slotted rotors no, but drilled rotors yes.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Oh Ok thank you for the clarification

Quick Reply: Rims/Tires...