Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2009 RA or Genesis Coup

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dboz
Amen to that. Hyundai better hope the aftermarket can do something with the 2.0t, that is laughable in stock form. The V6 is struggling also, but is a lot cheaper.
Don't worry - there will be plenty of aftermarket for the genesis. Most bolt-ons besides a turbo should be fairly cheap. The real issue will how much the stock engine and transmission internals can handle. I would expect the I4 to handle at least 300hp without a fuss, but only time will tell.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

only when there are hard proof about the gen coupe performance then we can actually see what the car can and what it cant handle on stock internals upgrading the injectors are a given that will be the first thing to upgrade. but some where on you tube there is a video with a gen coupe with i believe a GT30 turbo (i think) and its pushin 300+ hp but only time will tell
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:26 PM

Again, almost every test of the Gen Coupe so far hasn't been with the revised ECU, which will be in every Coupe sold from this point on. Hyundai has already offered retests to all media outlets. Still, 5.5 0-60 with a faulty ECU is pretty solid...
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

either way im still looking at purchasing the 2.0T Gen coupe i mean its a good bang for the buck im liking this car the more i look at it. yea the interior isnt that great but your not buying a BMW or Audi ur buying a Hyundai. its like some one on here said already you get what you pay for. so basically if your lookin for acheap good performing turbo car this is it. would i prefer the RA over the Gen coupe yea but due to the RA not having a manual trans then i am going with the Gen coupe thats untill i drive it that is
Old Mar 19, 2009, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

I'm sorry but is it just me but if i buy a sports car i can careless what the "interior" looks like. It's like with these new "muscle" cars coming out. I'm sorry i want a sports car i just want power anything else i could careless.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by imbonez9
I'm sorry but is it just me but if i buy a sports car i can careless what the "interior" looks like. It's like with these new "muscle" cars coming out. I'm sorry i want a sports car i just want power anything else i could careless.

Well, you always have to make some concessions when you're not spending top dollar. In the sub-$20k segment, you have a decent selection of cars, but pretty much none of them combine performance and a nice interior. I personally care about interior quality (materials, design, execution) because that's where I am when I'm driving (heh). I would rather have a performance car with a good interior, and a so-so exterior than the other way around.

If I only had <$23k to spend on a new car, the turbo coupe would certainly be on my short list.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:27 PM
Evolving Member

I completely understand where you coming from with wanting to have and car about having a nice interior since hello you are behind the wheel driving it. But personally i could have a stripped down sports car and dvd player in dash. Wait maybe thats why im single now i've always driving race cars on streets... haha
Old Mar 20, 2009, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree on all points. The only problem with the WRX is the Kaboom problem, hopefully solved now! The looks don't thrill me but the drive was damn nice and for the money, you are right, the power is killer!!
Who knows when the Subaru bearing problem will be solved. Last I saw they were over 30 VIN confirmed failures at NASIOC which is unacceptable for a new car in this day and age. I actually was going to buy an STI but I just saw too many problems with the WRX (engine failures) and STI (ring land & transmission problems) to consider buying a Subaru which is why I went with an MR.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by imbonez9
Not to be an *** but i love how i asked which would be better and then which should be better after my surgery the RA or Coup 2.0T thats AUTO now its in the camero and v6 one. just IMO
Oh don't worry about it; this thread is no longer related to your first question AT ALL. Regardless, there's people still trying to find out which one is better, not which one is better for YOU after your surgery. So instead of asking questions like these in a forum with 70% people oriented towards forum-oriented-brand and the rest 30% fitting in the forum-oriented-brand's bashers-bag, you should ask a doctor, and-or go and spend sometime test driving BOTH cars to see which one is better for YOU.

Threads like these are a complete waste of database space and SQL processing time. Use the purge option!
Old Mar 20, 2009, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

dude, the RA is better. The gen coupe is limp wrist. Not fast, not furious. hahaha

50 bucks for the first person who finds a gen coupe with fake buick hood vents and a stadium wing.

Last edited by elpoole; Mar 20, 2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

They 2.0T AUTO gen coupe isn't close to the RA for performance. The only thing the 2.0T coupe's got going for it is price.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by elpoole
dude, the RA is better. The gen coupe is limp wrist. Not fast, not furious. hahaha

50 bucks for the first person who finds a gen coupe with fake buick hood vents and a stadium wing.
Someone go to Huntington beach!!! you'll find BMW's with Pepboy wings there!!! and in Van Nuys(cali) you'll find trucks with 3 hub cap spinners. And since Fast and dumb**** is going to have the coup's in there you know you'll see a while bunch of wanna be's get there cars looking like it is in the movie
Old Mar 20, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

To answer your question directly, the seats in the Coupe have much better support for a back problem than the RA. However, the RA will be easier to get in and out of as the the COUPE is lower with a fairly large side bolster. Of course the RA offers Recaros but I would stay away from those at all costs with a back problem. As far as driving, I don't think it will matter in terms of the transmission.

I am into backs, and I have been in both cars. You will hear arguments on this I am sure, but thats the facts. Stock RA seats are NOT GOOD.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Ya plus maybe its ust me but for the extra what is it 2k for the Recaro package i don't need the name if i want racing seats i could find cheaper that do the same. And you know what i totally forgot about the whole trying to get into the car... and how lower the Coup would be... haha
Old Mar 20, 2009, 05:26 PM

Let's just keep things real here. While it is true, that due to poor sales, Mitsu has lowered its pricing to move vehicles. There is no way to know if, or how much Hyundai will move on price. So lets just keep the conversation focused on sticker pricing or invoice pricing.

Here are the facts. No the car is not 27-28k for the 2.0t.

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe:
2.0T, manual: listed retail price: $22,000, invoice price: $20,930
2.0T, automatic: listed retail price: $23,250, invoice price: $22,106
2.0T Premium, manual: listed retail price: $24,250, invoice price: $23,046
2.0T Premium, automatic: listed retail price: $25,500, invoice price: $24,220
2.0T Track, manual: listed retail price: $26,750, invoice price: $25,396
R Spec: listed retail price: $23,750, invoice price: not yet available
3.8, manual: listed retail price: $25,000, invoice price: $23,500
3.8, automatic: listed retail price: $26,500, invoice price: $24,895
3.8 Grand Touring, manual: listed retail price: $27,500, invoice price: $25,825
3.8 Grand Touring, automatic: listed retail price: $29,000, invoice price: $27,220
3.8 Track, manual: listed retail price: $29,500, invoice price: $27,685
3.8 Track, automatic: listed retail price: $31,000, invoice price: $29,080

Also, the MPG is set by the government. While we all know that those numbers vary with driver tendencies, there is a good chance it could get even better. All on running regular 87 vs. all other turbo cars except the Cobalt SS REQUIRE premium. The six speed and gearing make a difference. HONDA CIVIC has NO TORQUE so it is going to need different gearing to be able to move that car. You can't compare like that.

Lets not forget that when the RA came out, many found hindrances to performance also. There seems to be more options (after 6 months) for there to be marginal power gains from tunes and chips. No massive HP for the RA yet due to the trans and other limits of turbo etc. So lets not dismiss the potential on a car that has not even begun to be developed by the aftermarket in the US. There is a COUPE with a GT30R upgrade turbo that made 360+ whp. That to me is more than enough in a small car for daily driving that will have less than 30k into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_UN0cvXr7g

Injectors are an EASY fix.

Make no mistake, in stock form the COUPE will get beat by many cars. It is not going to be the fastest. It is trying to offer sportiness at a well optioned reasonable price.

Remember that the RA offers the same thing. SURELY NOT the fastest and most certainly not the cheapest. It offers a sporty option. Not the end all beat all of performance cars.

As far as the block, the Caliber SRT4 uses the same block and is making 400-500hp so I see no reason why the COUPE won't be able to hold at least 350-400hp reliably.

I guess if the block is weak, it may be possible to put the X engine in there.

There is no arguing that the X is going to tear up the COUPE if you can get them at 27-28k, it is a very good deal. Those that bought the first RA's cannot be too happy about that!!!!! I have seen the MR getting 8k in discounts.
To start off the Cobalt ss does not REQUIRE premium. Ok now on to blocks, the reason the srt block can make good power on the stock block is that it isn't aluminum or open deck, the 4b11 is.