Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2009 RA or Genesis Coup

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2009, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imbonez9
My question is why the auto only 5 speed not 6
They want to upsell you to the 3.8 if you want the 6 speed auto (ZF) tranny.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

I saw a gen coupe at an auto mall near me. Everytime i see one i laugh because you cant find a Hyundai badge anywhere on the front end!!!! And if you can, its pretty hard to see.

Never good when a manufacturer is embarrassed of their own logo.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bossssman38
I saw a gen coupe at an auto mall near me. Everytime i see one i laugh because you cant find a Hyundai badge anywhere on the front end!!!! And if you can, its pretty hard to see.

hahahaha they want you to think its another car. But honestly over the last couple of years Hyundai has been getting alot better with building cars.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

wtf?!!!! The front grill has the HUGE circular H right on it. Probably 3-4 inches at least. Take off the rose colored RA glasses and post facts please.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/new-ca...oupe-front.jpg
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

The ones i have been seeing have had nothing on front and a logo that was the same color of the car on the back. And yes imbonez9, they do want u to think its another car and yes they have been getting better.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

The ones i have been seeing have had nothing on front and a logo that was the same color of the car on the back. And yes imbonez9, they do want u to think its another car and yes they have been getting better.
In case you missed it the Genesis Sedan was COTY. There is no shame at Hyundai. They may copy other cars shapes, but for the money they can't be beat and the warranty blows any one else away. The older cars were crap, the newer ones may be cheap, but I do think the quality has come way up. We will see. Their sales are very strong, so the majority must think so also, or they would be down 40-50% like everyone else.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

The way i feel, which can be argued to be pretty stupid, is that when I see the genesis the first thing I think is "its still a Hyundai..."

I respect them trying to change up their style and everything I just think they should have maybe tried a new branch off name? Like Toyota did w Scion. Maybe Hyundai could have did something like "Mershedez Bends" or "BMU" (ha ha ha..)
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

The way i feel, which can be argued to be pretty stupid, is that when I see the genesis the first thing I think is "its still a Hyundai..."

I respect them trying to change up their style and everything I just think they should have maybe tried a new branch off name? Like Toyota did w Scion. Maybe Hyundai could have did something like "Mershedez Bends" or "BMU" (ha ha ha..)

Or be like MITSU when they came out with the EVO line in the USA. Cheap performance. The proof will be in the pudding. We will see how they hold up. They could be junk, only time will tell. But I am at least open to the fact that an upstart can improve on its product. You may be a little too young to remember when HONDA first came here and the car rotted to dust in the first 3 years. They were VERY cheap, both in price and durability. They learned fast and improved their product. Same for Hyundai IMO. I am not writing them off based off cars they made 10-15 years ago.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

I remember when toyota was a joke! except for the supra... even early 90's toyotas where a joke even with the supra in there line-up. i mean come on remember when ford was junk... wait they still never mind scratch that... haha
Old Mar 15, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by imbonez9
I remember when toyota was a joke! except for the supra... even early 90's toyotas where a joke even with the supra in there line-up. i mean come on remember when ford was junk... wait they still never mind scratch that... haha
The 22R is one of the best running engines ever. Too bad the vehicles they went into also turned to dust way before the engine ever died. My 86 Toyota Pickups bed was a disaster but it ran great at 225k until I got into an accident and was not worth fixing.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

COTY means nothing to me. The genesis sedan might have som e nuts but its still ugly and plain. And the coupe..... thats a molded Tiburon. Mustang killer? Hyuandai can dream.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancerdave86
COTY means nothing to me. The genesis sedan might have som e nuts but its still ugly and plain. And the coupe..... thats a molded Tiburon. Mustang killer? Hyuandai can dream.

Stock for stock, a high end Genesis coupe might be able to outperform a mustang GT, but I doubt that once you get into mods they'll be able to touch the Ford's 4.6L.

Genesis was COTY because it was more than people expected. It doesn't mean it's the best, most reliable car. What it does best is give you alot for your money. The genesis coupe does this in it's base trim, track package, or r-spec. The V6 is not a bargain IMO - considering it is hovering around the price of a Camaro SS -- You know, a car with a VERY GOOD V8, and suspension. For around $22k it's pretty good, but once you start talking >$25k, you're in a different territory where performance car competition is fierce.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Thats why they shouldn't have ever came out with the coup with the V6 it makes no sense financially with the GT, Camera and such out there. However if they just came out with the 2.0T it would have made alot more sense IMO
Old Mar 16, 2009, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by madcows
Stock for stock, a high end Genesis coupe might be able to outperform a mustang GT, but I doubt that once you get into mods they'll be able to touch the Ford's 4.6L.

Genesis was COTY because it was more than people expected. It doesn't mean it's the best, most reliable car. What it does best is give you alot for your money. The genesis coupe does this in it's base trim, track package, or r-spec. The V6 is not a bargain IMO - considering it is hovering around the price of a Camaro SS -- You know, a car with a VERY GOOD V8, and suspension. For around $22k it's pretty good, but once you start talking >$25k, you're in a different territory where performance car competition is fierce.
So for over 25k you get the RA which in base/stock form gets ripped by every known car in its class (4 cylinder turbo) except the MINI Clubman and GTI.

A FULLY loaded V6 with ZF paddle tranny hits about 30-31k. A base V6 car is about 24-25k. A base GT Mustang is 28k and loaded about 34k. The Camaro SS (if ever produced) will be starting in the low 30's. So for 3-4k savings (at least) do you feel that a 5.5 0-60 and 14.2 quarter, stops in 111 ft. is sufficient, all while carrying a 10 year 100k warranty on the power train?

Remember the RA numbers 0-60 5.4,1/4 14.2 @95, 177 feet to stop, virtually the same performance, only the RA takes much further to stop due to SUV brakes. To me, the coupe is a bargain. It is not going to be the fastest, neither is the RA. The only advantage to the RA is two more doors and two more drive wheels, but no gain in performance unless you are in snow.

If you go to the 2.0t version, then you can compare to the RA and it will get toasted by the RA, but the RA is a good 5-6k more, trim levels being equal. A loaded track package is about 25-26, a loaded RA is a tad over 30k. The Coupe comes with track suspension, 6 speed manual and BREMBO brakes, Xenon lights, sunroof. All while getting 21/30 MPG on 87 octane. Add all that to the RA to make it perform and the RA is at EVO X pricing ++. So the question is, can you make a loaded 25k car faster than most 4 cylinder turbo cars (especially the RA) for 5k of mods? If you can, then the car is not a bargain, it is an absolute steal.

Last edited by dboz; Mar 16, 2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

i think that last post honestly is the full truth!