Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2009 RA or Genesis Coup

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 RA or Genesis Coup

For those who have the RA already if you have the chance to swap it for the Genesis Coup straight up would you. For those who don't have the RA yet which would you chose if it didn't come down to price. And for the Coup it would be the turbo charged automatic one.

-Reason for this question is im going to be having back surgery so performance car with a clutch is out of the question.

Thank You
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:46 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
If you don't need AWD and plan to modify, I'd go for the Genesis. I just love the idea of having a RWD 4B11T coupe. Not thrilled about an automatic, but you gotta do what you gotta do, and hopefully there will be some aftermarket parts to improve the trans a bit.

However, go out and test drive them both. I haven't yet heard anyone who has test driven the Genesis sound really excited about it. The car looks great on paper, but might not be as good in person.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have test drove both of these cars since I work at my local dealership I like the RA more , I mean yea the Gen has power but it weighs alot the ralliart throws you in the seat, up to you tho, go drive them and you decide.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:26 PM

I test drove genesis this Monday, but I would still stay with RA not because I own one. I drove 3.8L with 6 speed. I kind of miss that feeling of manual shifts, so I have been debating with myself over the past couple of month whether RA was a good choice. So I took on genesis just to see what it has to offer, the clutch was a mile long and it engaged almost at the end, there was no precision with stick operation, it seemed that I had to pull lever out leave it in N position and then continue into next gear. The first you thing you notice is that steering wheel is pretty big compared to RA and the leather doesn't feel as smooth to the touch. A lot of silver platicish feeling around the knobs on the dashboard, but again may be I am being subjective. Driving impression, 3.8 300hp didn't feel any quicker of the line than RA, it does however stops better. The driving position is slightly more conformable than in RA, but it has the same problem as RA, no telescoping steering column. The exhaust note is at about the same level may be a little deeper than RA. By the way 2.0T doesn't have intercooler and from what I saw there is no space to put one in.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

I've debated this as well. I came from a 07' base Civic to my 09' RA. I was tired of waiting for the gen coupe to come along so I took advantage of buying a RA instead. Several things first; the gen coupe is going to blow the RA out of the water in terms of aftermarket support. Hell they already have coilovers and springs out for the damn thing yet it is just NOW hitting the streets, and the RA still has nothing. Many tuners have actually bought a gen coupe, and no tuners have bought RA's. The gen coupe can actually fit some serious rubber under the rear fenders which is nice and makes for a much more wide range of wheels. A simple lowering and good choice of wheels makes that car look sexy as hell. BUT I honestly thought it would be priced less then it is now. The RA simply offers a better performance platform to start from. The AWD system in the RA is great, the transmission is top notch, and the engine is stronger then the 4B11 used in the gen coupe. The RA motor has the 4-bolt main semi-closed deck used in the X. Both cars have their advantages but I can't justify taking a $5,000+ hit on the RA to trade it in on the gen coupe. I've also heard the gen coupe uses a slightly smaller turbo and the injectors are almost maxed out in stock form.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

its a hyaundai no matter hot fast. Until i see it on the streets who nows if it;ll even be out. It might just end up being like the new camaro
Old Mar 13, 2009, 01:02 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EsRt2evo
I've debated this as well. I came from a 07' base Civic to my 09' RA. I was tired of waiting for the gen coupe to come along so I took advantage of buying a RA instead. Several things first; the gen coupe is going to blow the RA out of the water in terms of aftermarket support. Hell they already have coilovers and springs out for the damn thing yet it is just NOW hitting the streets, and the RA still has nothing. Many tuners have actually bought a gen coupe, and no tuners have bought RA's. The gen coupe can actually fit some serious rubber under the rear fenders which is nice and makes for a much more wide range of wheels. A simple lowering and good choice of wheels makes that car look sexy as hell. BUT I honestly thought it would be priced less then it is now. The RA simply offers a better performance platform to start from. The AWD system in the RA is great, the transmission is top notch, and the engine is stronger then the 4B11 used in the gen coupe. The RA motor has the 4-bolt main semi-closed deck used in the X. Both cars have their advantages but I can't justify taking a $5,000+ hit on the RA to trade it in on the gen coupe. I've also heard the gen coupe uses a slightly smaller turbo and the injectors are almost maxed out in stock form.
This is pretty much why I was wondering if he planned to modify or not. If planning to stay stock, I'd just go with the RA or a WRX. However, if he wants to modify, I really think that the Genesis will be a big hit. It might suck in stock form, but some basic upgrades and tuning might yield huge gains.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 01:08 PM

I have also asked myself this same question.

For me, living in/near Chicago, another rear-wheel drive car is simply beat in terms of drive-ability in the Winter against the RA. All-wheel drive with front and rear differentials is wining out over the rear-drive limited-slip options for me, since there is just too many bad snow days around here, and I HAVE to get to work.

I've considered the Pontiac G8 GT (the v8-powered model that itself has a ton of mods available and is also easy to pump-up the power, but is a slushbox) because I'm a muscle-car lover at heart, but am going to purchase the RA Sportback because of the AWD system, AMS is in my backyard, and the wife can drive the TC-SST (but I'm not really giving up the manual trans).

Heck, I could eventually tune the RA myself with the $200 Tactrix cable, a laptop, and some free software...and that alone is worth it to me.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

I would be modding(is this even a word) the car. I'm just looking for a sports car that has a tiptronic shifter so i don't have to worry about a clutch. I also live in LA/PHX so weather really is not an issue with needing an AWD over RWD because we don't have winter out here. Just goes from fall to spring.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Anything above 400whp may be asking for trouble with the open-deck 4B11 in the gen coupe. I think the car will be a hit, but i can't see many high horsepower ones floating around. Also the rear end hasn't been proven yet, so only time will tell how the gen coupe holds up. It's definitely refreshing to see a RWD turbo 4 cyl enter the market at $22k. I myself would go with the 2.0 Track then lower it, put some thick rubber under it, flash, exhaust and call it a day.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EsRt2evo
Anything above 400whp may be asking for trouble with the open-deck 4B11 in the gen coupe. I think the car will be a hit, but i can't see many high horsepower ones floating around. Also the rear end hasn't been proven yet, so only time will tell how the gen coupe holds up. It's definitely refreshing to see a RWD turbo 4 cyl enter the market at $22k. I myself would go with the 2.0 Track then lower it, put some thick rubber under it, flash, exhaust and call it a day.
Not to go off topic on my own topic but Nissan is bringing back the 240 and Toyota is teaming up with Subaru to bring back the A86 which will be well under 22k.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by imbonez9
Not to go off topic on my own topic but Nissan is bringing back the 240 and Toyota is teaming up with Subaru to bring back the A86 which will be well under 22k.
Nissan just announced a few days ago that they are putting their RWD coupe project on indefinite hiatus and the Subaru/Toyota coupe has been temporarily put on hold.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I would take the RA because IMO the Genesis so ugly I would have to beat myself up for driving it. And I drive a IX so that is saying a lot lol

Aside from personal tastes, Hyundai is supposed to build quality ish nowadays and Mitsu does not really have the same reputation (though mine has been 100 % reliable)
Old Mar 13, 2009, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

I also test-drove the Gen cause for a second there I thought i was spending the same amount of money on a RWD machine with over 300 horses, and I never owned a RWD before plus the Gen's looks are to drool over (some might not agree here). But in the end, it was just me I guess but the Ralliart was like so much more connected to my soul I just had to take it. It felt as if the RA would talk back to me; So far I have not had a single dissapointment, and every where I go all I get is props and people turning their heads. Happines

I'm actually impressed of how much more of a "presence" this little Mitsu Is.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

I was thinking about getting a 2.0T Track but decided the RA fits what i needed more being AWD, TC-SST and having a solid engine.

I think the Gen coupe is fantastic looking car. And with some springs and fat tires on the rear, its even better.

Something to take note of, Hyundai engineered a "damage control" system on the car that limits power on hard launches, something to the extent of it lasting for 3 full seconds. However i believe Hyundai has stated they will be offering a free flash if you want the system removed.