Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How much HP/Torque does each upgrade produce?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much HP/Torque does each upgrade produce?

Alright, so I do realize that through the entire message board there are numerous threads about specific upgrades and whatnot. Also many asking what to get first, cheapest, etc.

I'm going to be getting a 2009 Lancer Ralliart shortly, and after looking all the upgrades available... I'm wondering if anyone can give me a breakdown sort of of how much of an increase in horsepower or torque each mod will get.

I'm looking for info on things like:
- exhaust (different between different types of exhaust)
- Short Ram vs. Cold Air Intake
- Intercooler pipes, do they make a difference at all, or just look cool?
- BOV? Difference between TIAL and HKS? Other? Which is best?
- Boost Pill?
- Any increase with mods to spark plugs, fuel systems, etc?
- Would it be worth considering upgrading to a Twin-Scroll Turbo? Same one as the Evo X?

I know there's lots of info out there, and if I spend 200 hours searching, I could probably find all of this. I'm just hoping I can get a quick, simple rundown of what kind of increases I'll get, and what's the best for each category (as far as "best" goes, I'm talking performance. I'm not looking for a mega-loud exhaust or BOV anything).

Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:56 PM

well i can only tell you what my numbers were. each car is different.

my stock - 201 whp 217 wtq
after base flash - 224 whp 231 wtq ( +23 whp, +14 wtq)
boost pill - 236 whp 245 wtq (that is +12 whp, +14 wtq)

base flashes ~ $500
pill ~ $20
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

i should figure that out wit my FMIC downpipe and testpipe hahaha damn it im estimating maybe 30-40 whp
Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

in ultimate racing website they have the dyno numbers with each upgrade.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

sopooooo much effort
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by WorthyOfEd
Alright, so I do realize that through the entire message board there are numerous threads about specific upgrades and whatnot. Also many asking what to get first, cheapest, etc.

I'm going to be getting a 2009 Lancer Ralliart shortly, and after looking all the upgrades available... I'm wondering if anyone can give me a breakdown sort of of how much of an increase in horsepower or torque each mod will get.

I'm looking for info on things like:
- exhaust (different between different types of exhaust)
- Short Ram vs. Cold Air Intake
- Intercooler pipes, do they make a difference at all, or just look cool?
- BOV? Difference between TIAL and HKS? Other? Which is best?
- Boost Pill?
- Any increase with mods to spark plugs, fuel systems, etc?
- Would it be worth considering upgrading to a Twin-Scroll Turbo? Same one as the Evo X?

I know there's lots of info out there, and if I spend 200 hours searching, I could probably find all of this. I'm just hoping I can get a quick, simple rundown of what kind of increases I'll get, and what's the best for each category (as far as "best" goes, I'm talking performance. I'm not looking for a mega-loud exhaust or BOV anything).

Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated!
This is ultimately a trick question, it depends wildly on what dyno you use, what specific item you purchase, how good the tune is and of course, how the car came from the factory (there are factory freaks). Anyways, here's a rough estimate/advice
Exhaust- 3" turboback exhaust (downpipe, high flow cat, catback section) should yield roughly 30-40 HP with a tune. Without a tune, the gains will be substantially less (under 10 HP likely).
Intake- basically a noise maker, gains are minimal without a tune, maybe 10-15 HP with a tune. You absolutely need a tune with an intake if you want it to function properly. For the most part though, an intake isn't a required or money-wise mod on a car like the Ralliart, the stock intake is pretty damn good. It does make the BPV louder though which some like. A short ram intake is also called a hot-air intake since it sits in the hot engine bay. Stay away from short ram intakes, since they suck in hot air, they can actually reduce power (due to detonation and reduced timing and boost). A cold-air intake is longer and actually takes air from outside the engine bay.
Intercooler pipes- can reduce piping length (thus reducing the distance the air has to travel) and some say that the stock hoses collapse under boost which aluminum pipes are obviously resistant to. This is generally only true of high boost situations though.
BOV- stock one is fine, if you must upgrade, go to the metal Evo IX version.
Boost pill- replacing the boost pill can give you better tuning control.
Other mods- Spark plugs don't yield gains, fuel system doesn't need to be changed unless you are running a bigger turbo/more complex system.
Evo X turbo- Yes it will yield gains but you'll need to change the exhaust manifold as well as the intake system and other things.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

SHAWNIEBE - how did the tuning for you?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 05:04 PM

Thanks Ambystom, sounds pretty good.
So basically the best money/horsepower option would be exhaust and a tune, unless I'm willing to spend tons of money?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Basically yes.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

best bang for your buck... get an intake and a stage 2 AMS flash to start

from there you can put on exhaust, intercooler, etc.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

^ completely agree with that anyone know how much they are asking for their stage 2 flash?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

On a turboed car, an exhaust is the single biggest contributor to performance. An intake, as I said, is more or less just a noise maker. It will boost power a bit but generally speaking, the intake system is not the restriction in the engine. A higher flow exhaust system helps turbo spool and in turn allows you to run more boost. If you bolt an intake on with a stock exhaust, you can't run nearly as much boost. Buy an exhaust and get a tune, you'll be amazed at the gains.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 02:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
On a turboed car, an exhaust is the single biggest contributor to performance. An intake, as I said, is more or less just a noise maker. It will boost power a bit but generally speaking, the intake system is not the restriction in the engine. A higher flow exhaust system helps turbo spool and in turn allows you to run more boost. If you bolt an intake on with a stock exhaust, you can't run nearly as much boost. Buy an exhaust and get a tune, you'll be amazed at the gains.
too bad i spent all my money before getting a tune...hopefully ill get a tune before i move =(