Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

SST Tranny to Manual Transmission.

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by babiesdadies
True,

well like I'm a newbie i guess I do have to really think about it.

What is the difference between drag and track.

I thought it was the same thing. Sorry I gotta learn somehow even if I look like an ***.
depends on who is using the words. track can mean anything (i can't believe i'm actually explaining this). the way people in here are using it though is to discribe road course racing on a road course race track. drag is describing either an 8th mile or 1/4 mile drag strip.

like everyone else said, you can't have a car that ***** out of control at all 3. it is possible to use one car to have fun at all three though. a good autocross car can be set up for some drifting, and anything can be used to go in a str8 line...doesn't mean you'll be great at it though. this whole thread sounds like you forgot to take your ADD meds this morning and you're just randomly spouting off one stupid idea after another as it comes to your head.

as for the original bad idea about swapping the SST to a manual, first off you're never going to do it...secondly, even if you did decide to actually go through with it, it's a terrible idea. third, the SST is a great tranny for road racing and autocross. if there was some sort of good launch control, it would be good for drag as well. if you want to race your RA, upgrade the clutch packs and put a cooler on the transmission. once you finish beefing it up and modding though, you will have spent more than it would have cost you to get an EVO X GSR in the first place, and the car still won't be as fast as a bone stock GSR.

your best bet if you're serious about making power and really doing some hard racing is to get an EVO X GSR or a used EVO IX. whatever you do though, you sound like you don't know what you're doing so the best first step would be to leave the car alone and learn to drive it first. once your skills catch up to the limits of the car, then you start modding and raising those limits. until then, just concentrate on the most important mod: the Driver mod. go run a few autocross events, or some road course events, take it to the drag strip and learn what the car can and can't do and learn some car control. after that, then start modding according to the discipline you choose as your main one (road racing, autocrossing, drag racing) good luck figuring out what you really want to do with the car.
Old May 12, 2009, 12:26 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well said /\
Old May 12, 2009, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bestest. Thread. Evar.
Old May 12, 2009, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
this type of threads, make me think, why people doesn't do research before buying, and why they blame the car or car parts to keep them away from they dream?

the car can do 3 different race with the same set up, will never satisfy you .
You will be always the mid or the they "did run too" team member...
Old May 12, 2009, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

I'd like to recommend a horse and buggy.
Old May 12, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Psssh, rollerskates are where it's at.
Old May 14, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Track involves corners.
lol

Simple and sweet!
Old Jun 27, 2009, 02:16 AM

People are saying just buy an evo blah blah blah. I agree because you say you want a manual.

The problem here is, that you want the manual. It offers no real advantage over the dual clutch aside from torque capacity apparently. Well, since there is a clutch upgrade out for the dual clutch I would say that is a much smarter route to take than swapping to a manual. Supposedly this clutch pair is good for over 400 ft lbs of torque, I'd say thats atleast on par with the manual stock evos. If you need more than that you are going over 500whp and that is the current estimated limit of the stock block sleeves anyways. Anything above that is an exponential increase in price to performance.

The dual clutch really is a nice setup, aside from some issues with the computer causing the clutch to slip at higher torque numbers. I would rather have it(I bought an 09 RA yesterday but have been researching it) than the manual.

Its no secret in the drag world that autos are faster. Mitsus arent exempt from this. The tranny shifts inhumanly fast and rev matches consitantly in the same manner.

But to answer your other question, buy the talon/eclipse/laser or a foxbody.