Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

SST Tranny to Manual Transmission.

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2009, 01:57 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST Tranny to Manual Transmission.

Well SST is Great and all but I don't think it has what it takes to be a racing tranny. I'm wondering what it would cost to do a manual conversion. I plan on converting in a few years.

Anybody have suggestions.
Old May 11, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Buy an Evo X?

It would take on the order of 5k+ to do the swap. (Get new trans, clutch, ECU changes, linkage, steering wheel, center console).
Old May 11, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Converting ?? I don't even think anyone has even seen that as an option!? This tranny is great for racing..on a coarse not 1/4 track. If u wanted 1/4 racing then u chose the wrong car not just the wrong tranny. IMO u can definatly get a better 1/4 car for 27 k!
Old May 11, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

You can upgrade the SST for the same amount of money. Search the MR's evo x upgrade clutch discs sst.

If your trying to go all out race vs. all evo's and sti's... you need to get the same platform.

Should've gotten a GTS and swap evo engine/trans over or should;ve bought an EVO to start off...
Old May 11, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Like everyone said. If your concerned about holding the power, spend the few grand and get the clutch packs and bigger cooler that are coming out.

Other than that, maybe look into getting a GSR.
Old May 11, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
evo ftw
Old May 11, 2009, 02:57 PM
Account Disabled

I love it how people say get an EVO as if it was that easy to take a 3 to 4K hit on my RA if I were to trade it lol.

I don't think anyone would do that. I have 10,000 miles on my RA.

I know I definately didn't do my homework cuase I'm a newbie but jeez give me some advice I can use lol.
Old May 11, 2009, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

definetly physically/mechanically do-able.

like some one else said , easily 5K cost to do.

but...........you would end up with a SST tranny to sell.

.......that could off-set your conversion cost completely.
Old May 11, 2009, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Hold up. There was a thread up here earlier asking the same question. But then the whole thing stopped because the guy who wanted to do the swap forgot that he would have to put an extra pedal in also......

It sounds like it would be a head-ache, but I wish you the best of luck. You'd be the first to pull it off with an SST-tranny
Old May 11, 2009, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

i think we are giving you advise..get an evo..you dont want to take a 5 k hit for trading in your RA but your willing to take a 5k + hit to make it a stick! do you understand? its a RA..your trying to make it go beyond what it can do. suspension is not made top notch. its a DD. you want to go crazy then its worth you getting a used evo and working on that. Your idea is not logical or practical.at the end a guy with an evo will spend less money to get more of ANYTHING from his car while youll be down atleast 5k for a tranny...
Old May 11, 2009, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

You should be able to put a clutch pedal in the R/A considering a 5 speed is available in the GTS, so that's not so much the issue. The issue is that you claim to be a newbie, and therefore made the "mistake" of buying an R/A over a GSR. Now I don't know how much of a newbie you are to racing, but you should be able to have plenty of fun autocrossing, or doing track days with minimal amount of hardware added to the R/A. If you give the SST proper airflow to the trans cooler, and are just pushing a reasonable amount of power, the car is just fine. If you think you're totally up on your racing game, then you should have a race car. period. There are many great cars out there that you can have a decent little track machine (that you don't care if it gets too beat up), for the price hit and price difference you would have to deal with if you tried doing a trade.

At any rate, I would perhaps prefer having an auto-manual

That's just my two cents.

edit: of course, you would always be getting some money from selling the SST if you did the gearbox swap.

edit: not only would you have to flash the ECU, but probably also the ETACS-ECU (which I don't think anyone does).

Last edited by madcows; May 11, 2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old May 11, 2009, 04:39 PM
C H
Evolving Member

Wait till 2011, the Ralliart is suppose to come out with a 5 spd.

Otherwise kiss all your warranty goodbye and between the lost value in your car and the cost of the conversion you could by a GSR with 10000 miles for less than the cost of the conversion.

If you wanted a race car, perhaps an EVO 8, 9 or 10 would better suit your needs. The RA suspension and brakes will not hold up for any serious track racing.

Last edited by C H; May 11, 2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old May 11, 2009, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

save your money and buy a cheap used evo if you want to turn something into car to race with. converting would be costly and would'nt really do much for you for the cost.
Old May 11, 2009, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

FAIL. Why does everyone that buys the TC-SST or CVT want to put a manual in it? Just get 1 in the 1st place. I know the RA manual wont be out till 2011 but come on
Old May 11, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I have a feeling that it would cost more to change the car into a manual than it would to just go out and buy a used Evo VIII/IX or a new Evo X GSR. You'll need a lot of bits, some that you wouldn't think of (new steering wheel unless you want useless paddles). I know some have said to just upgrade the clutch packs but I haven't heard of those even being finished yet and the testing phase alone could be months. It's very difficult to properly test drivetrain components to be able to give people a set "at this HP number, they will break" kind of answer. For light tracking, the Ralliart should be fine. If you want to be more serious, a manual is where it's at.

Quick Reply: SST Tranny to Manual Transmission.