Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Should I go STI?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2009, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first of all u buy a gtr 75k out the door
vs an STI05-07/Evo9 for 25k...if i were to dump 50k in the sti. I will demolish Zr1's, GTRs, Csz06, vipers
Let me see
Cosworth Longblock with all the bells and whistle 17k
Wheels/tires 4k
Rollbar and install 3k
Super Duper Axles/driveshaft/Suspension Crap 10k
custom Badass fuel system 5k
Redicolous Turbo system 10k
Dry sump 6k
Hks Fcon/Aem/Motec 5k
GRAND TOTAL of 50k
I probably over estimated alot because of labor, but that's ok you get the point! 800-1000Hp car I believe it'll do some damage!
Old Jun 14, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
That doesn't make it better though. Top speed won't be close and of course there are all the issues that come with modified cars. You can spend 1000$ on a beat to hell Civic, dump 5000$ into the motor and be faster in a straight line than an STI but is a Civic suddenly better than an STI? No, of course not. Cars cost what they do for a very good reason, it would be virtually impossible to build a car as good as OEM for the same cost as OEM.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 01:50 PM

Well u got a gtr...and now u want a lambo
Sorry I went a lil OT
But back to the main topic GO STI if u want a reliable car than an evo in the long run!
Old Jun 14, 2009, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
That doesn't make it better though. Top speed won't be close and of course there are all the issues that come with modified cars. You can spend 1000$ on a beat to hell Civic, dump 5000$ into the motor and be faster in a straight line than an STI but is a Civic suddenly better than an STI? No, of course not. Cars cost what they do for a very good reason, it would be virtually impossible to build a car as good as OEM for the same cost as OEM.
I have to agree with Amby, just because u can mod a car to be faster doesn't mean it was meant to be modded that way. Think about DD reliability. U dump that kinda power into it u will break something sooner or later. He couldn't of said it better if you want GTR performance buy one.

To OP if u want Evo/STi performance get one. There is no way u can get an RA to perform like either car, I knew that b4 i bought it. Should've gotten and Evo or STi from the get go.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dboz
For almost double the money, do you really get that much more performance? Mod either the STI or EVO and be further ahead for way less money. Furthermore, where will you ever come close to using the limits of any of these 3 cars on the street? STI, EVO, GT-R?
Back from the dead i see.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

coming from an sti, i say go for it! you wont regret it, i promise. and in a few years you can trade it in for something else and get WAY more than your ralliart.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

That's one sweet ride... I'd say get it;

A lot of people say how the Hatchback STI is butt ugly, and I was one of those who thought it wasn't appealing by looking at online pictures; Once you go and see it and test drive it and admire it, damn what a sweet ride; And in white with gold wheels; Just pure sex;

Go for it;

An Evo X and a brand new 09 STI, that's been me day dreaming for for a year now; not happening anymore, but I'd trade in one of my Lancers for that STI without hessitate!
Old Jun 14, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bankaiup
first of all u buy a gtr 75k out the door
vs an STI05-07/Evo9 for 25k...if i were to dump 50k in the sti. I will demolish Zr1's, GTRs, Csz06, vipers
Let me see
Cosworth Longblock with all the bells and whistle 17k
Wheels/tires 4k
Rollbar and install 3k
Super Duper Axles/driveshaft/Suspension Crap 10k
custom Badass fuel system 5k
Redicolous Turbo system 10k
Dry sump 6k
Hks Fcon/Aem/Motec 5k
GRAND TOTAL of 50k
I probably over estimated alot because of labor, but that's ok you get the point! 800-1000Hp car I believe it'll do some damage!
over Guesstimating you mean? It doesn't work in the real world. Where do these people come with this "Buy a cheaper car, mod it and DESTROY the expensive ones" nonsense.

Pure ricer mentality; Most Civic owners I know think that way
Old Jun 14, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

I love my car And with the tune I just got the thing is a beast.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

If only they were as easy to drive fast as the Evo, I swear that car can make anyone look like a professional.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

While I agree with you from an OEM reliability aspect, a properly modded 90ish civic hatch or crx is a beast in most any motorsport event.

I say get the STI though since its a great DD, safe, quality built car if you are not lossing money on the deal. I have read all the threads on STI engine issues and there are not nearly as many as some would lead you to believe. Its just like reading on IWSTI that all Evo Xs have problematic recaro seat stitches, broken gas pedals and hood latch problems.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

If only they were as easy to drive fast as the Evo, I swear that car can make anyone look like a professional.
Agreed, no matter how badly I screw up during autox, the car always seems to save me.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

True, a Civic can be modded for basically any purpose. To be a true beast though, you'd have to be specialized, ie. be a dedicated drag car or a track car or an autocross car, etc. Regardless of which one you choose, it would still be cheaper than an Evo or STI.
I was genuinely impressed at the how well the Evo hides a driver's mistakes. You can have no line, brake in the middle of the corner and pin the gas before the apex and it just makes the corner for you.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boondoc
back from the dead i see.
+1
Old Jun 15, 2009, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Ummmmm...no, you can't. It's impossible to mod a car to be "better" in every way than a stock car. Sure an STI or Evo can be quicker but then you have to deal with top speed (I doubt a stock Evo or STI transmission is capable of hitting the GTR top speed), reliability, driveability, cost of mods, warranty work, etc. If you want GTR performance, buy a GTR.
Nah, I would just stick with the ZR1.

Quick Reply: Should I go STI?