Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Should I go STI?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I go STI?

found a banging deal an a 08 STI..any old sti owners chime in?
Old Jun 11, 2009, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

That's a tough call... Are you going to be trading your R/A for it? How much would you end up losing out the deal? The sti definitely has more performance parts right out the box, so it's definitely faster all around than the R/A. If it doesn't cost you anything, I'd say go for it, otherwise it would have probably been more cost effective just to get an sti or X in the first place.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Go for it, buy a dead horse, it's ok.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

just so u know..08+ sti's are the biggest fail of all time. Major engine issues. probably why you got a "bangin" deal
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

I heard it was just certain months of the 2009 WRX's that had the motor issues. What kind of deal are we talking about as I thought the big discounts were over for the STI's as the one at my local dealer is still at sticker price?
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

honestly knowing what i know now, i would go for sti..engine issues i dont care i will be changing just about everything in the motor. i would be going a lot farther with the sti then this brick wall with the RA. dam tranny limitations and expensive solutions. i would trade my ra for an older evo anyday

Last edited by JONralli09; Jun 11, 2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

great brakes, smooth powerband, no lag at all. that being sad, feels slow as all hell, powerband just like a 350z, and not all that attractive except from the rear (imo). if your going to have to shell out cash on top just get a X and call it a day. otherwise if its a pretty straight deal i guess sti over the ra in terms of performance. gl with your decision man
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Getting an STI is like dating a tranny. You can hook it all up, but in the end, your boys are still going to laugh at you.

If your boys dont laugh, they probably like the ***** too.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

^ what?? we have a mitsubishi..they make tv's. come on. and sti is their top model..and you have to give it credit atleast it comes stick and can launch.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by derangedazn
getting an sti is like dating a tranny. You can hook it all up, but in the end, your boys are still going to laugh at you.

If your boys dont laugh, they probably like the ***** too.
omg rofl
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

derangedazn, best STi quote ever!!!
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

hmm, after some thought, I think If I do pursue anything it will be an EVo.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
It depends really. Despite what people say on a Mitsubishi forum, the STI is a pretty reliable car. The engine issues most people are talking about are actually in the 09 WRX and even then it's limited to certain production dates. The STIs come stock with a terrible tune, that is why they run rich, that is why they blow piston rings and that is why they feel the way they do in stock trim. Even then, engine issues are rare. The reason why you read about so many on NASIOC is because NASIOC has well over 150000 members. The best thing you can do out of the box is get a tune. That will solve most of the initial issues and if you spend some more cash for a downpipe or TBE, you suddenly have over 350 ft-lbs of torque at your disposal.
All that being said, it depends what you're using the car for and how you feel about the looks. The 08+ STIs are a pretty dramatic shift from the older models, both in terms of appearance and setup. I like the look but it took quite some time to grow on me.
The practicality side of things is great, you can fit a full set of track wheels with tires in the back and still have room for yourself, all your gear and a passenger. The interior of the car is fantastic, a huge leap forward from my year car and I think better than the Evo X (although the Recaros are absolutely amazing).
Compared to the older STIs, the 08+ are softer and less wild but that's an easy change (sway bars and decent tires should do it). If you can make the move without taking a huge financial hit, it's a good idea from a performance standpoint. The 6-speed is near bulletproof, the engine is strong and easy to mod (again, despite what many say on here) and the DCCD is pretty cool. It's not a point and click car like the Evo X, but it's still a blast at the track.
Ultimately, it's up to you. It's somewhat strange asking this question on an Evo forum since, as you can see, a large portion of Evo owners are convinced that Subarus are POS cars that breakdown, blowup and don't call your sister after they ****ed her.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Amby has to come in here, dropping knowledge and ruin the STi hating mood.

BOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:08 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JONralli09
^ what?? we have a mitsubishi..they make tv's. come on. and sti is their top model..and you have to give it credit atleast it comes stick and can launch.
What on earth does the Mitsu electronics division have to do with the automotive division? That argument is completely asinine. Someone might as well counter with "Well, Fuji Industries makes pumps, so their cars must suck!"

Quick Reply: Should I go STI?