Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

smart key & rattle question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smart key & rattle question

Hey guys,

1) Sorry for all the questions.. just trying to get a feel for the car and it's features..

so yesterday my wife and i drove to church and i dropped her off to go home cause i forgot something.. half way home i realized I didn't have the car key (smart key) my wife had it in her purse! i didn;t have my copy on me..

how did i drive like 5 miles without the key in my pocket? or in the car? i thought the car beeps without the key inside the car!

2) and anyone notice a rattling when starting to accelerate in first? like after you go over a speed bump u accelerate a little and it seems that when the gears lock into place to get the car going it rattles..
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

There's a certain ratttle when you let the car shift itself, the thing is that it shifts up a low speeds, and (I've noticed this myself) by about 40 mph, it's already on 6th gear, and the hood tends to rattle... doesn't happen when I manual shift whenever i feel like though, i usually drive in 6th gear at around 50-60mph

and you're fine driving without the key... problem is, if you would've turned off the car you wouldn't be able to turn it back on . . . first time I did that, I put the car in Park and my wife left with the key in her purse.... when I tried moving the damn knob it would give me the "Confirm Key Location" message :-/
Old Jun 22, 2009, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by jazket
There's a certain ratttle when you let the car shift itself, the thing is that it shifts up a low speeds, and (I've noticed this myself) by about 40 mph, it's already on 6th gear, and the hood tends to rattle... doesn't happen when I manual shift whenever i feel like though, i usually drive in 6th gear at around 50-60mph

and you're fine driving without the key... problem is, if you would've turned off the car you wouldn't be able to turn it back on . . . first time I did that, I put the car in Park and my wife left with the key in her purse.... when I tried moving the damn knob it would give me the "Confirm Key Location" message :-/
hahaha thanks for clearing things up! yah that woulda been bad if i pulled in for coffee.. if i made it home it wouldn;t of been so bad cause i have my car to drive! ; >

yah the rattles feel like when ur in going to slow and not pushing the clutch in on a manual tranny
Old Jun 23, 2009, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

I can't remember if I read this in the manual or in the TC-SST sub-forum on here, but that rattle may have something to do with the Neutral. I'm no car guy, but I've read that the Neutral gear, or clutch or whatever it is manifested in, actually rattles when it's not in use. I'm not sure if that is what you are hearing, but a possibility.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazket
That's not how the Canadian models work (at least around here) -- so long as the engine is running, you can continue driving without the FASTkey (including putting it in Park). You get the key location warning, but you can drive as you normally would. Personally, I think that's a fantastically stupid setup, but apparently it makes dealers happy that they don't have to hand over the keys to the car for test drives.

What's far more annoying is when you lose the key inside the car (I dropped the fob in between the seat and the armrest once), because then you can't lock the car, and anyone who comes along can drive away in it (since the fob's inside the car).
Old Jun 24, 2009, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aestival
That's not how the Canadian models work (at least around here) -- so long as the engine is running, you can continue driving without the FASTkey (including putting it in Park). You get the key location warning, but you can drive as you normally would. Personally, I think that's a fantastically stupid setup, but apparently it makes dealers happy that they don't have to hand over the keys to the car for test drives.

What's far more annoying is when you lose the key inside the car (I dropped the fob in between the seat and the armrest once), because then you can't lock the car, and anyone who comes along can drive away in it (since the fob's inside the car).
I never said I couldn't move the car, only that it would give out the warning light

Yeah Canadian RA's work probably just as ours do; Oh and what you said about the key fob really is annoying, not to mention that sometimes I wanna leave the car ON to get off and buy something quick say at a gas station but I can't lock the damn car for a minute while it's ON, even after I've taken the damn keyfob with me >:[

But what I discovered the other day which is pretty cool, I locked the whole car and opened the trunk, was taking off my racquetball gear and by mistake threw the key in the trunk, then closed it.... the car beeped frantically and unlocked all doors!!!!

nice!
Old Jun 24, 2009, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I've been in your shoes with the fastkey this winter. I changed clothes while the car was running at home, but but left the keys in my shorts. I got to work and was non the wiser til it was time to clock out, but wouldn't start. I thought I dropped it in the snow or something. Drove me crazy til I found it....
Old Jun 24, 2009, 08:20 PM

I have an annoying rattle that occurs only going over sharp bumps that I am pretty sure is the hood. Its been present since day1 just have not had time to take it in. I have posted on it before but no one else here seems to have it.

mk
Old Jun 24, 2009, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by aestival

yeah, I can see losing the fob being a pain. I guess the solution is never take it out of your pocket. Or I saw this wallet once where you can put the fob in it (made for the genesis coupe though) and there's pics you can push on the outside of the wallet to use the difference buttons on the fob. Here it is : http://www.koreanautoimports.com/sto...oducts_id=3322, for a different car unfortunately but still a cool concept.