Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What's the difference between hid's and normal headlights?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Yes, hence why I said "yes" as in I agreed with what you said but in the context of this thread (which is asking about HIDs), using HIDs in headlights designed for normal bulbs is a big no no. If you want to get technical, I used the variable term "likely" which is not an absolute statement. That's not important though since the OP likely doesn't care about the semantics of the issue but wants to know if he can use some wicked tyte JDM HIDs in his car.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP - HIDs actually produce more light per watt of input and are most often brighter. The way the technology works is an actual electrical arc that forms between electrodes inside the HID bulb. As opposed to a filament that is heated in your typical incandescent bulb.

It is best to run HIDs in projector-style housings, specifically focused projectors with a good cut-off. There are some reflectors that are also meant to run HIDs and while they work in other reflectors and projectors, the light output is not focused as well so you lose intensity and blind others in the process.

With that said, I personally run HIDs on all my vehicles and while I used to get flashed 10 years ago, I rarely do these days because they are more of the norm.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

I'm a fan of just buying better bulbs. Look up Osram and you'll see what I'm talking about. They have light output that's significantly better than other bulbs and actual rival HIDs.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 03:51 AM
Evolved Member

I'm familiar with Osram as I have gotten commercial projector replacement bulbs from them; Sylvania == Osram. Which Osrams are you referring to? The Nightbreakers? I haven't tried those. The only non-HID bulbs that I usually go with these days are PIAAs. My biggest problem with them is they usually go out within a year, at times within days of each other!
Old Jun 24, 2009, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Sylvania is not Osram, at least in the sense that the bulbs commonly sold under the Sylvania label are no where near as good as those sold under the Osram label. I currently have the Osram Rallye 65 and love them.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info re: which bulbs you use. I might check them out. Sylvania is the brand that Osram uses for North America, basically. I haven't dug in enough into their manufacturing/sourcing and it is highly likely that Sylvania is manufactured more locally (like Mexico) and the quality is not the same.