Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Should I get the premium package with a Canadian RA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get the premium package with a Canadian RA?

I'm looking to new a RA in the next few months (especially after test driving it ) and can't decide whether or not to get the premium package (leather, nav, rockford sound system, fastkey, bluetooth, sunroof). It costs 5k so with it the car would cost 40k before taxes. Do we have any Canadians here who can give me there opinion? I'm torn on the matter.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Absolutely worth it -- no contest. The seats (front and rear) are much, much better, and the rest is a sort of bonus slate of stuff that would look terrible aftermarket. Personally I love having a good nav system with a fine set of speakers without having to install them, the FASTkey is really convenient, I couldn't get by without the voice-activated bluetooth. I like the sunroof, but I could live without it. Unless you don't care about comfort and a factory-fresh clean interior look, go with the premium. If you intend to heavily abuse the seats or prefer an aftermarket-gizmo look, then go with the base instead.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:37 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean, I like alot of the features the premium package has. But the price does make me do a double take, that and the dealer didn't seem convinced it was worth the price and was trying to steer me away from it. Anyway, how do you like the nav and sound system, because if they are both excellent I'll probably go for it.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:09 PM

I bought mine without the Premium. I didn't care for the Sunroof. Sound system is okay... You can a way better sound system for less. Practically the same seats. Fast Key is worthless and expensive if you lose a fob and frustrating if you want command start. You can a get a great Garmin or TomTom for 400 bucks.

I didn't think it was worthwhile.

Plus the car is lighter
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

How much time do you spend in your car? Fastkey is amazingly handy (I haven't seen anyone WITH the option say it's worthless, it's always people who DON'T have it lol) Stereo is very nice, sure you can get aftermarket better sound if you're a pure audiophile, but you won't get the stereo, navi, bluetooth and controls you get from a factory unit, there are alot of customizable things on the factory unit, and realtime displays, as well as sirius radio. The leather recaros are very nice, but the base ones will basically do the same (just won't look as good). Rain sensing wipers are an amazing thing IMO. Voice activated bluetooth is super nice, I have iphone (no voice dial) but now I can voice dial in the car, iphone never leaves my pocket (my keys never leave my pocket, FASTkey). Lots of nice things. Sunroof, like the other poster it's nice that it's there I guess, though I don't consider it something I really need (it is a nice sunroof though). Ask yourself this, why are so many dealers telling people it's not worth the money? (have you ever heard of a dealer NOT trying to get the most money out of you possible?) Premium package has to be ordered (unless they happen to have one on the lot, which most don't). Leather recaros are very expensive, Just ask all the people who have tried to get recaros after they bought their car, with all the features the Navi unit has, it's not cheap, sunroof is installed in Japan, dealer makes no money on the intsall. I don't think dealers make much on the premium package, plus it takes time for them to get the cars (not like base models they have easy access to) So it's not instant money in thier pockets. My dealer tried to talk me OUT of getting the premium package, when that's one of the reason's I was getting the RA.(Auto/on/off headlights also, nice not to have to worry about turning your lights on/off I guess)
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:32 AM

drows - this car will be my one and only car so while I won't drive it 24/7 I'll still be in it a fair bit. That's one of the reasons I was thinking the premium package, plus I can add it to financing instead of the stereo upgrade coming out of pocket. Though I doubt the dealer was trying to talk me out of it because he didn't want to order it (by the look of it they had a couple dozen RA's, half with the premium package) plus like I said, I won't be getting it for a few months so there would be tons of time to order one. But thanks for your opinion.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

dozens? Where do you live? I live in Toronto area and I've never seen more then 3 RA's on a Mitsu lot at one time. lol.

It depends on what a person expects out of their car, as to whether or not it's worth it. Like I said for me it was worth it, but for some people the extra features just aren't worth the cost. I'm probably a little older then the majority of RA owners, I like the comforts in my cars, and don't mind paying for them (40yo) either way Good Luck with your purchase you should be able to make a pretty good deal by then (around when 2010 comes out?). I think you'll enjoy the car.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:59 AM

this was rallye mitsubishi in gatineau. It's a pretty huge dealership, probably counted about 10 RA (+ 1 evo) outside and I think there were a couple more inside + maybe some that I couldn't see. The dealer said they had like 20 (don't know how many had the premium, at least a few).

Yeah, I like the comforts too, even though I'm a few years younger than you. Well either way the added costs aren't crazy, like $60 a month, but I wanted to get the personal opinions of people that owned the premium package.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 07:17 AM
Account Disabled

if you like it, get it
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ReaperSevero
I bought mine without the Premium. I didn't care for the Sunroof. Sound system is okay... You can a way better sound system for less. Practically the same seats. Fast Key is worthless and expensive if you lose a fob and frustrating if you want command start. You can a get a great Garmin or TomTom for 400 bucks.

I didn't think it was worthwhile.

Plus the car is lighter
Not even close to "practically the same seats". You're simply wrong about the seats being similar -- the leather-alcantara premium seats are way more comfortable and considerably nicer looking. I stick by my statement that aftermarket has a distinct look, that often comes off as cheap -- especially if you get an aftermarket Nav and just plop it in somewhere. FASTkey comes with two fobs (personally I ordered a third, so my wife can have one and I can still keep a spare).
Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by aestival
You're simply wrong about the seats being similar -- the leather-alcantara premium seats are way more comfortable and considerably nicer looking
I agree with this statement, sat in one with the premium package today and I noticed the seats felt different than the one I test drove (I found them more comfortable). I've decided to get the premium package, afterall it'll only cost me like $2 more a day (like 1/3 the price of a starbucks coffee, damn there goes my daily coffee )
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

How many people lose their keys anyway, to the point where they'd rather not have a feature cause it's too expensive to buy a replacement? lol. In 25 years of driving I have never lost or misplaced a key or keyfob (plus the fact you don't have to take the keys out of your pocket reduces the risk :P)
Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

Just to toss this out there.. since you did say this will be your one and only car.. have you thought about a GSR they are easily around and under the 40k price range. If you are going to spend 40k thought i would point out that option also.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:14 PM

the gsr is priced at $42k, it's the rs that $39k. And the rs is a stripped version of the evo, with minimum sound proofing, no stereo, other weight saving (aka a track car). And not to mention the insurance would be a lot more for a evo since I'm in my early twenties.

I did consider getting the gsr but it's too much out of my price range unfortunately.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 03:34 PM
dfo

I got the premium package and don't regret it. I would suggest finding out the dealer cost of the vehicle and premium package from Car Cost Canada. Prior to purchase I was wishing I could select the add ons I wanted instead of taking them all in a package but now after having them all I'm glad I got all them all. For example I didn't think I'd care for the Fastkey but now after having gotten used to it I wish all the locks I have in my daily life had a similar sytem.

Quick Reply: Should I get the premium package with a Canadian RA?