Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

09 ralliart vs 09 wrx

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Correction, he just likes to argue with me .
Oh no, I've had my run-ins with GPTourer as well, and not all have been within the last week, it's always the same run-around too, eventually I give up, he always comes back with some other ridiculous response.

PS: It ain't just bean counters that want the brakes smaller. Most of the braking system we are talking about here is unsprung weight, it isn't just about cost. We had loads of money to spend on the S2000 (who's braking system isn't really that great from the factory, FYI, sure the lines are all decent, and the master cyl/chamber are all good, but the calipers themselves are crap) but the minor change in ability for a BBK to stop the car compared to what we were currently using was not worth the extra pounds of unsprung weight.

Crappy stock brakes may start fading quickly, but their initial bite is no different than larger brakes with the same compound, and that was the ONLY point I was trying to make (but you'll probably still continue to not get it, and argue a completely different point)
Old Jul 1, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Oh no, I've had my run-ins with GPTourer as well, and not all have been within the last week, it's always the same run-around too, eventually I give up, he always comes back with some other ridiculous response.

PS: It ain't just bean counters that want the brakes smaller. Most of the braking system we are talking about here is unsprung weight, it isn't just about cost. We had loads of money to spend on the S2000 (who's braking system isn't really that great from the factory, FYI, sure the lines are all decent, and the master cyl/chamber are all good, but the calipers themselves are crap) but the minor change in ability for a BBK to stop the car compared to what we were currently using was not worth the extra pounds of unsprung weight.

Crappy stock brakes may start fading quickly, but their initial bite is no different than larger brakes with the same compound, and that was the ONLY point I was trying to make (but you'll probably still continue to not get it, and argue a completely different point)
Here's an issue I was wondering about, could a BBK actually result in brakes that are too cold?
Old Jul 1, 2009, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Here's an issue I was wondering about, could a BBK actually result in brakes that are too cold?
Probably not, but that depends on your point of view. The street compounds used for most cars are made to work great right from the get go, from 0* up to around 110* ambient temperature. Just like street tires (for the most part). With track compounds on, yeah, they're going to take a lot longer to heat up to the appropriate temperature, and therefore could result in brakes being "too cold."
Old Jul 1, 2009, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by madcows
In my mind, I would consider the evo brakes as BBKs compared to the stockers. No?
if you talking about the X OEM one vs RA. yes you can say that. My BBK Project Mu rotors was a same size as my OEM X rotors. Only issue was the OEM caliper and the pads was a little bigger , so it didn't cleared it 100%.
BUT the OEM Brembo is not a same quality as a racing Brembos. Make sure you remember that.
The caliper is softer , the pads are street etc. SO i would suggest to get a X calipers for easy fit, then some 2 piece rotors and good pads and fluid. Then you can surely call it a BBK for the RA.
And you will personally feel the difference.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UT_Evo
The only part of that list that will actually make you stop faster, no matter the speed, size of load, etc is the master cylinder.
That would be assuming that all brakes are created equal. That eight piston calipers have the same clamping force that cheap floating kind, which is false.

On a modern day car, brake fade isn't an issue in a single stop.
Of course not, because OEMs aren't stupid enough to put quarter sized brake pads on a car like you claim would be no problem.

Coming from two Subaru owners who think they're smarter then everyone else on a Mitsu board and post comments like:

"apparently physics doesn't apply to Evom "

I'm sure there's more intellectual people that you could get along better with on the Subie forums.

Last edited by GPTourer; Jul 2, 2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Stopped being lazy and actually went back into my old notes from IB Physics and my Physics 1 class. I concede your right, this is one of those, hard to believe it but it's true things that physics throws at you every now and then. I always had trouble with frictional force, what a pain in the ****. Thank god i switched from physics to Integrated Sci. and Tech lol.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Coming from two Subaru owners who think they're smarter then everyone else on a Mitsu board and post comments like:

I'm sure there's more intellectual people that you could get along better with on the Subie forums.
Why? I'm right here.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

blah blah blah...same **** different thread.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

That would be assuming that all brakes are created equal. That eight piston calipers have the same clamping force that cheap floating kind, which is false.

Of course not, because OEMs aren't stupid enough to put quarter sized brake pads on a car like you claim would be no problem.

As far as braking force is concerned, the size of the pads is irrelevant. We have already said that is a heat and wear issue. Quarter-sized pads would overheat very quickly. Given that people are not encountering overheating issues on a single, bigger pads are not needed.
The funny thing is both UT_Evo and I were right in the end. You may see us as two smartass Subaru owners but being right is being right. Why is it that in basically every thread, you suggest we go elsewhere?
Old Jul 2, 2009, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as braking force is concerned, the size of the pads is irrelevant. We have already said that is a heat and wear issue. Quarter-sized pads would overheat very quickly. Given that people are not encountering overheating issues on a single, bigger pads are not needed.
The funny thing is both UT_Evo and I were right in the end. You may see us as two smartass Subaru owners but being right is being right. Why is it that in basically every thread, you suggest we go elsewhere?
I never disputed the physics behind the braking force. But you are wrong about a BBK not being able to improve braking performance. A BBK is going to generally add bigger pads, along with more pistons, along with a bigger rotor, along with better brake lines. You pick one small sliver of a point, brought by someone else, and you think you're "right". Why is it in basically every thread you're a troll?

two smartass Subaru owners
You said I didn't. But that about sums it up.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

I never disputed the physics behind the braking force. But you are wrong about a BBK not being able to improve braking performance. Why is it in basically every thread you're a troll?

You said I didn't. But that about sums it up.
Yes, I'm right but also a troll even though I didn't flame anyone, I made zero negative comments and I provided proof to support my statements. But no, you're right, I'm a classic troll.
How am I wrong when we've already established I'm right? We've had close to 5 pages where I'm right. UT_Evo further supported what I said. A BBK is a waste of money on a street car.
What's the first part in smartass? Smart, what a terrible thing to be .
Old Jul 2, 2009, 09:41 AM

i like the ralliart compared to the wrx. it looks better in my opinion. wrx has more power although im curious to see the pricing on swapping for the evo x turbo as well as how much power can be squeezed out on boltons.

Last edited by CaliAgent86; Jul 2, 2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: because i can
Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

just flash your RA and your power is slightly more than that of the wrx...END THREAD
Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Just flash the WRX and you're power is well over the RA....END THREAD.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

I never disputed the physics behind the braking force. But you are wrong about a BBK not being able to improve braking performance. A BBK is going to generally add bigger pads, along with more pistons, along with a bigger rotor, along with better brake lines. You pick one small sliver of a point, brought by someone else, and you think you're "right". Why is it in basically every thread you're a troll?
You keep thinking BRAKE FORCE is synonymous with BRAKING PERFORMANCE.

EDIT: Sorry I'm an idiot. Your first statement just answered mine. Sorry for the contradiction. haha.

Both UT and Amby said having BBKs would enhance performance, compared to standard OEM brake systems[as in controlling heat and sustaining productivity in harsh environments including prolong'd braking at high speeds, etc.]

What they are saying is the actual braking FORCE is the same no matter the size of the surface of contact.

They aren't saying [or trying to prove] the "quarter-size pad" [they refer to as an example] will survive a longer life than a pad that's 12 inch's in size or 10 feet in size.

That is what I'm getting from this, since that's what both UT and Amby keep re-iterating in their statements. I read this entire thread, and I agree with Amby and UT. I actually learned a lot from both refutable sides. Thanks to both parties.

Last edited by toredefine; Jul 2, 2009 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the exit command for the quote.

Quick Reply: 09 ralliart vs 09 wrx