Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

09 ralliart vs 09 wrx

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2009, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it depends on what you want stock for stock... the subie is a faster 1/4mile and better road course(maybe) take into consideration the tranny. the sst is designed to keep you in your powerband at all times(something that is hard to do in a manual, unless youre an expert) the tires hold the RA back but spend 500 on some good rubber and id say its a little more even handling wise. id give the advantage to the RA for the sst. now if youre talking offroad id say RA all the way. due to the sst.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 04:22 PM

the wheels and tires on the RA suck, change them to something wider and the road course times will be very similar between the 2 cars. Can't do much about 1/4 mile times, but that's not what this car was made for.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kal0051
the wheels and tires on the RA suck, change them to something wider and the road course times will be very similar between the 2 cars. Can't do much about 1/4 mile times, but that's not what this car was made for.
+1 the car is not meant for drag times. if you want a drag car get a suckstang. if you want a great road/rally car get a RA but a def suggest get bigger tires
Old Jun 28, 2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by boondoc
I'm gonna say it b4 Amby does. It's not stock vs stock if u change out the tires. 235's can fit the RA but not on the stock wheels.
I never said it was stock for stock. I was pointing out the immediate limiting factor of the RA. Its oem tires. I gave props to the WRX, never said the RA was better stock.

To me, I would rather just change tires an have a almost equally performing car for still cheaper. Thats the point I was trying to make if just incase it comes across unclear again.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dyck888
which one would you prefer and why?
I preferred the Ralliart over the WRX but which one you like is completely up to you. For the money you get a better looking car with way more features than the WRX. Standard feature wise the Ralliart wins in my book. With subaru, everything is an option and starts to add up. Performance wise the WRX is a little better but my girl can't drive a manual for $hit so that helped with my choice also. It's all up to you. Test drive both and see which one you like better.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4g64fiero
Motor trend said it was the other way around due to the electronically controlled center dif in the RA.
I can't seem to confirm this claim on motortrend.com... At any rate, it would be the suspension setup and not the diff that would cause it to under/oversteer - especially since the center diff is 50:50. Even when it comes to Evos and STIs - the evos oversteer and the STIs understeer - except if you life the throttle in a turn - that's how my friend gets his WRX to kick out.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I have no idea where the hell people are getting their info from.
Firstly, the WRX isn't more expensive than the Ralliart. Related to this, saying "well I could just mod the Ralliart to be faster" makes no sense since that drives the cost of the Ralliart up and the same logic can be applied to any car.
The transmission in the Ralliart is nothing like that in the GTR, Veyron, Lamborghini etc.
I don't understand the "the Ralliart will be a track monster" statement. How will an expensive, underpowered (in stock trim), automatic become a track monster?
As I have posted over and over again, the RA with Potenzas (RE050s) doesn't beat the 09 WRX. That's also a 1000$ investment just to keep up. 1000$ goes a long way, you can easily get an 09 WRX to over 300 HP with 1000$. You could make the Ralliart considerably faster with that money too.
Having tracked my WRX, I can tell you now keeping it in the powerband isn't hard at all. Unless you're an absolute spaz at driving, you'll be fine.
In the end, it comes down to personal preference. Drive both cars and see which you like.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
The transmission in the Ralliart is nothing like that in the GTR, Veyron, Lamborghini etc.
Yeah, I thought I cleared that up when I posted:

I was just pointing out to all those who are like....OMG stick FTW. That twin-clutch transmissions have their advantages.

OP, if you like a third pedal and the feel of a stick then go for the WRX. These are two very different driving machines no matter how you compare them. Each vehicle will have it's strengths and weaknesses. DD or track, power and handling, comfort and convenience, looks and style.
As always it comes down to personal preference.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I have no idea where the hell people are getting their info from.
Firstly, the WRX isn't more expensive than the Ralliart. Related to this, saying "well I could just mod the Ralliart to be faster" makes no sense since that drives the cost of the Ralliart up and the same logic can be applied to any car.
I don't understand the "the Ralliart will be a track monster" statement. How will an expensive, underpowered (in stock trim), automatic become a track monster?
As I have posted over and over again, the RA with Potenzas (RE050s) doesn't beat the 09 WRX. That's also a 1000$ investment just to keep up. 1000$ goes a long way, you can easily get an 09 WRX to over 300 HP with 1000$. You could make the Ralliart considerably faster with that money too.
Having tracked my WRX, I can tell you now keeping it in the powerband isn't hard at all. Unless you're an absolute spaz at driving, you'll be fine.
In the end, it comes down to personal preference. Drive both cars and see which you like.
I consistantly see wrxs sell for over msrp where as I bought my RA for under the wrx's msrp. Infact, most RAs have been selling from under the msrp of the wrxs' even though the original msrp is higher. Thats real world experience.

To say the RA's transmission isnt atleast kinda like the gtr's is a matter of personal judgement. Theyre both the same system but not same design. You can buy the same upgrades for both from the same shop in sioux falls south dakota. I am not really sure what that has to do with anything, either, other than the fact that I garauntee you that tranny can shift itself better than you can shift your's no matter who you are.

Saying a RA cant keep up with a 09 WRX depends on the where your sources are from. Some sources say they can squeeze the same times out of the RA as they can out of the WRX in every field from 0-60 to slalom. I am willing to bet, most people just dont know how to use the TC gear box yet.

RA beats WRX in SLALOM Car and Driver

0-60 in 5.6 sec

EDMUNDS.COM lists WRX as 28k msrp

They also talk about how close the RA and WRX are in performance and how much tires matter.

There, thats where I get my info from, dont shoot the messenger.

Last edited by 4g64fiero; Jun 28, 2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Now I will tell you all something you don't know: The SR-71 Blackbird is faster than a stock R/A!!!
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:32 PM

I'm in the USAF. That statement is kind of ironic.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

I consistantly see wrxs sell for over msrp where as I bought my RA for under the wrx's msrp. Infact, most RAs have been selling from under the msrp of the wrxs' even though the original msrp is higher. Thats real world experience.

To say the RA's transmission isnt atleast kinda like the gtr's is a matter of personal judgement. Theyre both the same system but not same design. You can buy the same upgrades for both from the same shop in sioux falls south dakota. I am not really sure what that has to do with anything, either, other than the fact that I garauntee you that tranny can shift itself better than you can shift your's no matter who you are.

Saying a RA cant keep up with a 09 WRX depends on the where your sources are from. Some sources say they can squeeze the same times out of the RA as they can out of the WRX in every field from 0-60 to slalom. I am willing to bet, most people just dont know how to use the TC gear box yet.

RA beats WRX in SLALOM Car and Driver

0-60 in 5.6 sec

EDMUNDS.COM lists WRX as 28k msrp

They also talk about how close the RA and WRX are in performance and how much tires matter.

There, thats where I get my info from, dont shoot the messenger.
I agree with 4g64fiero on the pricing information. When I was shopping for both I found that the stock Ralliart was cheaper. The reason being is that the Ralliart comes with more stock features than the WRX. If I wanted a WRX with the same "stock" features as the Ralliart it was going to cost me more because Subaru wants to charge you for stuff like Bluetooth and fog lights which are stock on the Ralliart. That stuff starts to add up. This is just what I found in my experience. Everyone's experiences are different I'm sure.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

I'm in the USAF. That statement is kind of ironic.
+1
Essentially, if they dust off this plane, and it actually starts up...it might be faster lol
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=4g64fiero;7223162]I never said it was stock for stock. I was pointing out the immediate limiting factor of the RA. Its oem tires. I gave props to the WRX, never said the RA was better stock.......QUOTE]

I wasnt bashing u or nothing i was jus tryin to save us another discussion about the stock vs stock debate. The WRX has it key points and i like its performance but the looks doesn't do it for me.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akj237
i agree with 4g64fiero on the pricing information. When i was shopping for both i found that the stock ralliart was cheaper. The reason being is that the ralliart comes with more stock features than the wrx. If i wanted a wrx with the same "stock" features as the ralliart it was going to cost me more because subaru wants to charge you for stuff like bluetooth and fog lights which are stock on the ralliart. That stuff starts to add up. This is just what i found in my experience. Everyone's experiences are different i'm sure.
+1

Quick Reply: 09 ralliart vs 09 wrx